*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine Hesitation/missing a beet

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Engine Hesitation/missing a beet

Postby joiner12007 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi all,

In the recent last 6 weeks I've noticed/felt a hesitation/miss fire on the van when driving, its done it 13 times now it almost feels like the timing is out somehow. Now I'm no mechanic so I'm probably wrong but the engine seems to miss a beet is the only other way I could describe it.

Coming home tonight it did it going up a hill, mainly its always on the flat and when decelerating/accelerating, has anyone else experienced this or does anybody have any ideas what it could be.

After it did it this evening a gave it a bit of a caning through the gears thinking it maybe be a blockage or some other crap in the system but I still felt it again later on.

Also the fuel consumption is shocking in my opinion for a modern engine (155ps) 24.4 mpg, my old Mk7 (130ps) was running at 27 mpg with the same amount of weight on board.

I need to get the van into the dealership to get the dashboard sorted that squeaks and groans like a nuns crutch even when stationary, but Ford don't do warranty work on a Saturday and I can't spare the van during the week so this one will be added to the list.

Thanks for any ideas on this as it may help when trying to describe to the dealership.
joiner12007
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Engine Hesitation/missing a beet

Postby PLEDGEY » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:14 pm

Where I got my MK 7( second hand) they'll give you one of their vans if yours needs any work doing on it. I had some security BullDog bolts fitted by them on my works MK 6 and they even gave me a van while that was being done. Surely your garage can get you a van for a day or 2??? if not that's pretty poor.
PLEDGEY
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby joiner12007 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:19 pm

If I take it back to the dealership where it came from yes I can obtain a van but there 30 miles away and an hours drive, I was hoping to use the local dealership 3 miles away but there aren't a commercial garage just the standard car dealership.
joiner12007
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mentalmechanic » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:46 pm

I get what your are describing on my 155ps L2H2. Mainly feel it as a hesitation when just touching the accelerator after decelerating or coasting. It's not all the time. Worked out in the end it was only doing it while the DPF was regenerating. The fuelling is altered while this is happening, mainly to heat up the DPF to regenerate it, but also to mask (as much as possible) the engine performance reduction that occurs when the injection timing is altered to achieve this.

Since it was only slight, not very often and only when the regen was happening I never worried about it. They probably won't be able to fix/find/replicate it anyway at my nearest dealer!

Of course, this is only my experience of what you are describing. You may have a fault with yours but what you describe sounds a lot like what I have been experiencing.
mentalmechanic
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Damien89 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:23 pm

mentalmechanic wrote:I get what your are describing on my 155ps L2H2. Mainly feel it as a hesitation when just touching the accelerator after decelerating or coasting. It's not all the time. Worked out in the end it was only doing it while the DPF was regenerating. The fuelling is altered while this is happening, mainly to heat up the DPF to regenerate it, but also to mask (as much as possible) the engine performance reduction that occurs when the injection timing is altered to achieve this.

Since it was only slight, not very often and only when the regen was happening I never worried about it. They probably won't be able to fix/find/replicate it anyway at my nearest dealer!

Of course, this is only my experience of what you are describing. You may have a fault with yours but what you describe sounds a lot like what I have been experiencing.

How many miles does your van have? And how often does regenerate?
Damien89

Postby mentalmechanic » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:33 pm

Just turned over 15k miles. Its hard to say how often, I do a lot of dual carriageway/motorway driving, but I am definitely noticing it seems to be doing it more these days, more than it did when it was new. Higher idle speed, different turbo noise, exhaust red hot and cooling fan spinning down after switching off. Ive noticed it regenerating one day, then doing it again the next after not many miles. Equally I might not notice it doing it for over a week sometimes. I do roughly 300-400 miles a week average.
mentalmechanic
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mentalmechanic » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:39 pm

joiner12007 wrote:Hi all,

Also the fuel consumption is shocking in my opinion for a modern engine (155ps) 24.4 mpg, my old Mk7 (130ps) was running at 27 mpg with the same amount of weight on board.

To put my two-penneth in on this, mine is 155ps L2H2 350, steel racked with toolbox, drawer unit and some heavy gear. I do mostly dual-carriageway at 60-65mph and average about 26-29mpg going by mileage between fill-ups (Brimmed)

I have driven it like a fairy for one tank, and I got it up to 31mpg. I'm not driving like that all the time so 26-29 mpg it is. Not as advertised but they never are are they! Dual carriageways are quite hilly near me though.

Reckon if they were flat it would be higher.
mentalmechanic
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby joiner12007 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:52 pm

I've only got 2122 on the clock currently.
joiner12007
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby huns » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:16 am

Damien89 wrote:How many miles does your van have? And how often does regenerate?

Our van just had like 9-11k km when it started to regen at a stop.
I thought it's some engine problem or something.
Luckily I did not stop the engine, but damn, the smell and smoke is horrible.

I still wonder why the HUD/display does not show any led/warning for regen.
It should warn the driver NOT to turn off the van, and it is normal, etc.
---------------------------------
- Transit MK8 LWB 2.2D 155 bhp - Trend - Cam: Viofo A119 cfw
- Tourneo Connect LWB 1.5D 120bhp - Titanium - Cam: Lukas WK-7950 Dual
- Mondeo MK4 2.2D 235bhp stage1 - Titanium - Cam: Viofo A119 cfw | 70mai Dash Cam Pro
huns
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits