*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Charging system Service now

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Charging system Service now

Postby cornishpasty » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Been driving a new new 2.0l fwd 3.5 lwb as my van has gone pop on another thread.
Have now got to 3800 miles and the above message is up most of the time with no pattern to the appearance.
I am an engineer and this van is used for breakdown service work so carry all tools.
I have had a meter permanently connected across the back battery and when the warning flashes up it is infact always charging but the message is up and the battery light lit.

Of course when the AA as Ford assistance came out it was not displaying the fault.

I am quite happy that it is charging as my meter shows it as always between 13 and 15.2volts, I understand it could actually show higher as well due to the smart charge.

Any body got any ideas because I do not want to lose another van to the dealer like my original with the blown engine.?
cornishpasty
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Charging system Service now

Postby northhook » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:20 pm

20170724_172548.jpg
20170724_205709.jpg
I have the same problem with my Motorhome Benimar Tessoro 481 2017 build on Ford Transit chassi. When everything is ok my meter shows about 14,5V and when the Charger System Warning lights up it drops down to about 13,5V.

The vehicle is at Ford right now and they are claiming it might be a Motorhome problem and not a Ford problem. I think it's a Ford guarantee problem.

Have you got a solution on your car yet (or does anybody else have any suggestions to what might be wrong)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
northhook

Postby cornishpasty » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:35 am

Hi
I have been driving it since the posting date and there seems no pattern to when it happens.

In fact it can show for 5 or 50 miles and occasionally will miss a day

I have been driving with meter permanently connected so when light comes on i check it is charging and carry on as OK.

Not been in to Ford yet as my own van has been in since 3 July waiting for engine and no nearer getting it back and we can not afford to lose another one to the dealers.

This van has now done 5200mls.
cornishpasty
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby huns » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:04 pm

Can't you attack them with lawyers / customer protection groups? We have to use them in my country, and this way you could just get a new one (again I am sorry).
Or, another solution, is to try and find an independent (Ford) technician.
But yeah, dealers are useless.

If you buy a cheap OBD adapter, you can also monitor the battery voltage and all kind of stuff from a smartphone. (If that is any help.)
---------------------------------
- Transit MK8 LWB 2.2D 155 bhp - Trend - Cam: Viofo A119 cfw
- Tourneo Connect LWB 1.5D 120bhp - Titanium - Cam: Lukas WK-7950 Dual
- Mondeo MK4 2.2D 235bhp stage1 - Titanium - Cam: Viofo A119 cfw | 70mai Dash Cam Pro
huns
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby northhook » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi.
Still got problem with my charging system but I might have found something suspicious. Under the passenger seat there is a 15 way connector and pin 14 is connected to ground by the motorhome factory to disable Fords ”Smart Regenerative Charging” system (SRC) and the ”Start - Stop” function. That is because the motorhome factory want Fords ”Conventional Charging” (CC) in the motorhome and without the Start-Stop function.

The SRC works when I disconnect the connector (voltage from alternator about 12-13V) but when i connect it to ground and the CC starts then the alternator voltage goes up to 14,9V and the current from the alternator increase to 30-70Amp. (the voltage on the battery is lower because the high current cause voltage drop).

On the alternator there are three connections (four wires). First is the thick charging wire. Then there is a connector with two wires under the alternator that I think is for the SRC (probably digital pulses to and from the alternator). The last connector (see picture) is on top of the alternator and when measuring the voltage of that one it shows about 8,6V on CC and about 7,3V on SRC. My thought is that this connector should have an answer from the battery voltage and if it's to low the alternator work as hard as possible to raise the battery voltage.

Does anybody of you have a wiring diagram (Ford Transit 2017 170hp) to see where that connection on the alternator comes from (and if it's a digital or analogue signal)? I suspect it's a wiring problem but I'm not sure (Ford is still claiming it's a motorhome problem despite the fact that I have disconnected the motorhome wiring).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
northhook

Postby CHRIS.AIR » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:45 am

Hey I, have this problem on my new transit. Tho I also now have my horn beeping and central locking flicking open and shut. Need to get it booked into ford they said they have never heard of the problem before!!!

Not happy :(

Chris
IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT
CHRIS.AIR
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Azyman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:32 am

We are having the same problems, we currently run 15 new ford transit lwb h/top rear wheel drive,
Azyman

Postby glenn_g2000 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:48 pm

i also have this problem and the problem with the van constantly trying to lock itself. while i was in the back, every time i unlocked it it would just lock itself again and if i kept the door open to get whenever i needed out of the back the horn would constantly beep. dont have time to get it to service department atm as i would loose money with van of the road. not sure if both problems are linked but they both started happening 1 day apart. if anyone finds a solution before i go mad i would be greatful.
glenn_g2000

Postby devonvanfan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:31 am

Have you tried experimenting with the various options for the locks in the Information Display?
Select System Setting > Convenience > Locks.
“Global Unlock” MIGHT solve your problem.
devonvanfan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mrrocsta » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:08 pm

Have had this on my Tourneo, contacted my dealer and they sent the AA out to it.
The AA found the earth strap was not connected and the terminal covers were missing off the battery.
Pretty poor considering my van, at this time has only covered 400 miles.
Mrrocsta

Postby Allan007 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:24 am

Hi all, new to this site and just bought the 350 mk8 transit. Western Power had mine and have put extra electrics in it with a split charger in the back (they removed an additional battery i think)

My question is that my van has two batteries under the drivers seat. is this normal and is one a leisure battery ?

Many thanks for any answers.

Loving the van.

Allan
Allan007

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:19 pm

Allan007 wrote:Hi all, new to this site and just bought the 350 mk8 transit. Western Power had mine and have put extra electrics in it with a split charger in the back (they removed an additional battery i think)

My question is that my van has two batteries under the drivers seat. is this normal and is one a leisure battery ?

Many thanks for any answers.

Loving the van.

Allan
yes normal most transits have twin battery's one starts the engine and the odd bits and the other powers everything else
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby northhook » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Finally got my problem with ”Charging system Service now” solved. Took the car to another Ford service center with a more helpful staff. They found that the ground cable om the starter were loose and didn't have a proper ground connection between the motor and the chassie ground. They did a test and disconnected the cable and the fault message was on the whole time. Then connected it properly and the message was gone. Don't know if that's the solution for others with the same fault message on the display but it's worth checking out.
northhook

Postby karl » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:10 pm

northhook wrote:Finally got my problem with ”Charging system Service now” solved. Took the car to another Ford service center with a more helpful staff. They found that the ground cable om the starter were loose and didn't have a proper ground connection between the motor and the chassie ground. They did a test and disconnected the cable and the fault message was on the whole time. Then connected it properly and the message was gone. Don't know if that's the solution for others with the same fault message on the display but it's worth checking out.

great info :D

bad earths are a big part to play in wiring faults
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits