*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Corroding alloys

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Corroding alloys

Postby joiner12007 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi all,

Gave the van its weekly wash yesterday and I noticed that the alloys on the front are just starting to corrode around the back edge where they sit up against the hub. I have to say I'm not impressed considering the van is only 16 months old, at least the alloys on the Mk7 were at least 7 years old before they started to show signs of corrosion.

I then decided I would remove one of the wheels to allow me to inspect it better, why on earth do Ford insist on supplying such inferior unsuitable jacks for a 3.5 tonne van and only suitable for a 1 1/2 ton car. The jack was very stiff to engage and raise the vehicle and once I tried to then lower the jack it totally seized up leaving the van stranded on the jack.

I had to then go and borrow a trolley jack to raise the van and remove the crap that Ford supply, Lucky I wasn't in the back of beyond with no phone signal considering how crap EE is these days (but that's another rant).

I am aiming to go to the Dealership this week and see where I stand regards a replacement pile of shite jack under the warranty, hopefully it will be covered. At least Merc supply bottle jacks with there vans so I'm told.
joiner12007
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Corroding alloys

Postby Azer van man » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:30 pm

If it's been caused by kerbing then you've no chance but if it's simply corrosion they should change them under Warranty,I got new wheel nuts all round on mine...!! Twice :wink:
Choose life, Choose a Transit, Italian Job Done ,Its the Irish in me.....I only listen to Above and Beyond
Now with A 5 pot Beast.......I started off with nothing and I still got most of it left...!!
Azer van man
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby joiner12007 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:49 pm

No they've not been kerbed, there corroding on the centre of the wheel at the back where they locate onto the axle.
joiner12007
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Azer van man » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:56 pm

I'd be going back to Ford then for that buddy... :wink:
I didn't know my wheel nuts were covered but I used to have my van serviced by a Ford Technician and he told me.
Choose life, Choose a Transit, Italian Job Done ,Its the Irish in me.....I only listen to Above and Beyond
Now with A 5 pot Beast.......I started off with nothing and I still got most of it left...!!
Azer van man
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits