*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

PSA: Check Engine warning + light = 99% MAF filter

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

PSA: Check Engine warning + light = 99% MAF filter

Postby huns » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:49 pm

I read it on this forums, but the description vaguely matched my symptoms. I wasn't sure 100%.
If your van ...
- Starts to pop up the Check Engine message (with audible warning).
- Sometimes goes into limp mode (but you can reset by re-starting the car) (and you get the same check engine / service now). And it's totally random...
It's very likely the MAF filter.

Of course, we took it to the dealers (all) but they had zero idea. We were not really surprised, we had the same experience with our MK7.
And until it's a permanent issue, the ECU clears itself after each start. So it's not like you can just go into a dealership once you experience because it will most likely happen far away.

It will produce this on and off thing (we had it since 1st year of purchase), and after a while it goes into permanent limp mode.
The sensor is very cheap and easy to replace, so we plan on buying 1-2 more just in case.

The story:
Like 2 months ago we had a busy day planned.
Once we left the city, the light came on, except this time it went into permanent limp mode. The restart did not make it go away.
So we hit the dealership on the way back, they saw the error.

After sitting an hour in the lounge, a guy comes up to us. He says they found the problem, and it's a warrantial issue. (we have 21k miles on the van only and it just passed 2 years)
However. IF I want it to get fixed for free (i.e.: warranty), I have to leave my van at the dealership, and I can get it fixed tomorrow. (Which meant Monday, because this was on Friday afternoon.)
BUT IF I PAY RIGHT NOW and I won't try to get it fixed in warranty, it will be fixed in 5 minutes.

Of course, I paid the money since I did not want to walk 100km home, and I need it for work. But yeah, if you get into warranty issues, go with 2 vans, or prepare for public transport on the way back. Unless you are loaded with cash.

Hope this helped. (See pic, this is what it looked and it kept popping up once in every few weeks/months, total random.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---------------------------------
- Transit MK8 LWB 2.2D 155 bhp - Trend - Cam: Viofo A119 cfw
- Tourneo Connect LWB 1.5D 120bhp - Titanium - Cam: Lukas WK-7950 Dual
- Mondeo MK4 2.2D 235bhp stage1 - Titanium - Cam: Viofo A119 cfw | 70mai Dash Cam Pro
huns
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: PSA: Check Engine warning + light = 99% MAF filter

Postby yzr750 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:49 pm

huns wrote:He says they found the problem, and it's a warrantial issue. (we have 21k miles on the van only and it just passed 2 years)
However. IF I want it to get fixed for free (i.e.: warranty), I have to leave my van at the dealership, and I can get it fixed tomorrow. (Which meant Monday, because this was on Friday afternoon.)
BUT IF I PAY RIGHT NOW and I won't try to get it fixed in warranty, it will be fixed in 5 minutes.

I find this hard to believe............
yzr750
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby huns » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:25 am

Can understand, I would be the same if it did not happen to us. Of course, later, you just curse at yourself why you did not record everything from the moment you enter the dealership.

No worries, the van has DPF warning now at ~40.000km.
- The van was never used in cities, small distances.
- The van was driven hard, high speeds - as it should be with Dpf.

So, another thing that should not break. We will see.
---------------------------------
- Transit MK8 LWB 2.2D 155 bhp - Trend - Cam: Viofo A119 cfw
- Tourneo Connect LWB 1.5D 120bhp - Titanium - Cam: Lukas WK-7950 Dual
- Mondeo MK4 2.2D 235bhp stage1 - Titanium - Cam: Viofo A119 cfw | 70mai Dash Cam Pro
huns
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby brianbarrett61 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:56 pm

huns wrote:I read it on this forums, but the description vaguely matched my symptoms. I wasn't sure 100%.
If your van ...
- Sometimes goes into limp mode (but you can reset by re-starting the car) (and you get the same check engine / service now). And it's totally random...

Of course, we took it to the dealers (all) but they had zero idea. We were not really surprised, we had the same experience with our MK7.
And until it's a permanent issue, the ECU clears itself after each start. So it's not like you can just go into a dealership once you experience because it will most likely happen far away.

It will produce this on and off thing (we had it since 1st year of purchase), and after a while it goes into permanent limp mode.
The sensor is very cheap and easy to replace, so we plan on buying 1-2 more just in case.

The story:
Once we left the city, the light came on, except this time it went into permanent limp mode. The restart did not make it go away.

After sitting an hour in the lounge, a guy comes up to us. He says they found the problem, and it's a warrantial issue. (we have 21k miles on the van only and it just passed 2 years)

Of course, I paid the money since I did not want to walk 100km home, and I need it for work. But yeah, if you get into warranty issues, go with 2 vans, or prepare for public transport on the way back. Unless you are loaded with cash.

Hope this helped. (See pic, this is what it looked and it kept popping up once in every few weeks/months, total random.)
brianbarrett61

Postby brianbarrett61 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:59 pm

brianbarrett61 wrote:
huns wrote:I read it on this forums, but the description vaguely matched my symptoms. I wasn't sure 100%.
If your van ...

The story:

had the same problem with my custom turbopipe crack or hole in pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brianbarrett61

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits