*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Crashed transit won't start

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Crashed transit won't start

Postby BZTransit » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:09 am

Hi everyone, I'm needing some help with my transit. To start off I am in Belize and I bought a crashed transit van from the insurance company. It had front end damage that was mostly cosmetic and most of the impact bent the control arms. Got all that taken care off but now I cant get the van to start.

I have scanned the van but the problem is that I don't have a scanner that can go in depth and reset stuff. Actally is a very expensive snap on scanner I'm using but it's not for euro models. So I can only see some data and clear some codes. When I was going through the data I saw, inertia switch crash signal open.. is this the reason the van does not start? Any idea how to reset this other than going to the dealer?

Also The batteries were stolen and the two sensors were broken. Can the van still work normally without the sensors?

The van is a 2014 transit 350, high roof cargo version with the 2.2 diesel and 6 speed manual..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks
BZTransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Crashed transit won't start

Postby loot » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:03 am

Yes you have to cycle the ignition on and off a few times on these to reset the switch.
When you turn the ignition to position 2 you are listening for the electronic fuel pump spinning a little.

My custom was crashed and iirc the work display told me to cycle the keys and cleared the shut off.

Been a while tho Lol.

On the mk7 tho there is a yellow push button switch located on the left A pillar just behind the dash board.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forum ... switch.jpg

Not the actual 1 buy gives an idea.
You should find it in your handbook or if you download bemm from www.etis.ford.com
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby BZTransit » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks for the info... The manual is great to have.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a switch like in the picture. The online manual doesn't give much info on how to reset in case of a crash.

I'm trying to find someone with the proper scan tool to read and clear the codes that are stored in there.
BZTransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby BZTransit » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:44 pm

So, not so good news. I had someone come with a proper scanner and reset all the codes. Still no start. It showed something about the abs module not communicating. Would this cause the van from not starting?
Its looking like i need to drop it off at the dealer for them to reflash the module.
BZTransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby BZTransit » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:03 pm

So not having much luck with the transit.. we reset codes but when I scan it it still says inertia switch crash signal open..

Anyone know the procedure to reset this? Does I have to be done by a ford dealer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
BZTransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby loot » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:30 pm

Have you tried manually flipping the fuel pump relay just to see if it starts up?
Can you get someone to turn ignition to pos 2 while you listen for the pump whirring?
The procedure I did to reset the switch was basically ignition 0to 2 then off :arrow:
https://youtu.be/0jUUB5h60e4

I don't know if the cut off also shuts the pcm engine run functions off or just the fuel pump relay but if you can't seem to reset it in the video then try the relay bypass but if it runs don't leave it running long because you are bypassing the problem and leaving the fuel pump permanently on might cause big problems, (it is just a test point).
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby BZTransit » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try that out.

I do have fuel because I can hear the pump running. Also I connected a hose to the bleeder valve and I get diesel coming out when the ignition is turned on. When cranking I have good rail pressure as well. So everything is there it's just not firing the injectors. I read somewhere that when it is in a crash a signal is sent for the injectors not to fire.
BZTransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby loot » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:58 pm

If you crack the fuel filter bleed and it pumps out with ignition on then the pump works.
My filter bowl was smashed and there was no fuel, I reset the switch in the video then with ignition on fuel started pissing in the floor Lol.

That code wants sorting tho, you need to be sure that all the writing is good and nothing got trapped or pulled etc.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby BZTransit » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:21 pm

So I did just as the video and still no start.. we had a good look around and no wires were broken or caught in anything.. it was mainly the control arms and lower area that was damaged.. im thinking it's gonna have to go to the dealer..

I know it's a common rail engine but is there any type of bleeding that needs to be done if any air was in the system?
BZTransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby loot » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:01 pm

On mine I filled up the filter bowl as the old 1 was smashed so I bought a new 1, fitted that, did the reset (which I'm sure I got on screen instructions in the van anyway) then turned it over a few times until it spluttered more and more to a start.

You need to address the fault code.
Can you get it on ids?
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:12 pm

There should be a schrader valve and cap on the hp pump,remove the cap and push down the valve while someone is turning the ign on and off.It should pump out fuel if everything is ok.
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby BZTransit » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:27 am

bambi mk 1 wrote:There should be a schrader valve and cap on the hp pump,remove the cap and push down the valve while someone is turning the ign on and off.It should pump out fuel if everything is ok.

There was a valve up top near the rail. I connected a hose and it pumped fuel out with the ignition on.. are you saying there's another valve on the high pressure pump?
BZTransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby BZTransit » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:32 am

So no luck with the van.. It’s at the dealer and they scannned it and did whatever they do and still no start. They then proceeded to replace the starter and same.. pulled injectors and replaced with known good ones and nothing..

Anyone have any ideas on what to do next? Could it be an egr issue? What else can cause these engines not to start?
BZTransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby BZTransit » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:55 am

Hi, so to update a bit.. van starts and runs for a second before cutting out. Dealer says no codes. Any ideas? They found a bunch of gunk in the intake, which they cleaned, replaced the egr. They seem to be out of ideas. Any suggestions? If the crank case vent filter is plugged will that cause this issue?
BZTransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dumper » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:08 am

I know this maybe a daft reply but it’s not as simple as some of the mk6&7 posts of the speed and crank sensor wired up the wrong way round
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits