*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

permanent lights on in the back

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

permanent lights on in the back

Postby macinavan2 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Sometimes I have to spend time in the back of my van with the lights on but that can only be done if one of the doors is open.
Is there any way of having the lights permanently on in the back with the doors closed or how could a switch be arranged to do so?
Thanks in advance.
macinavan2

Re: permanent lights on in the back

Postby hectors-tranny » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:44 am

I've only done it the other way round - i.e. put in an isolator so that the lights don't come on even when the doors are open - for camper conversion, but:

As the lights come on via a switch controlled by the side and rear doors, you should be able to add an electrical circuit connected to each side of that switch (i.e. in parallel with it), with a normal e.g. rocker switch, to bypass the open part of the circuit (when the door is closed), and thus keep the lights on when the door is closed.

Be aware of the possible issue of invalidating your warranty when you tamper with the electrics.

Or you could add a complete new circuit from the battery under the seat, properly fused of course, with switch and new lighting for the interior.

HT :-)
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MK7 user » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:56 pm

hectors-tranny wrote:Or you could add a complete new circuit from the battery under the seat, properly fused of course, with switch and new lighting for the interior.

HT :-)

That's what I would be doing if it was my van....the OP needs to understand that the auxiliary battery has a battery saver circuit that cuts the power, if you use the starter battery & the lights are on long enough the van won't start. :(
No Squire, not just any van....it has to be a Mk7 (VM.1) :D
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby hectors-tranny » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:05 pm

MK7 user wrote:That's what I would be doing if it was my van....the OP needs to understand that the auxiliary battery has a battery saver circuit that cuts the power, if you use the starter battery & the lights are on long enough the van won't start. :(

Yeah me, too. I think though that a couple of low voltage LED lights wouldn't flatten the starter battery even if left on for hours, so I don't think there's a problem even if the OP doesn't have a dual battery setup.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MK7 user » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:14 pm

hectors-tranny wrote:
MK7 user wrote:That's what I would be doing if it was my van....the OP needs to understand that the auxiliary battery has a battery saver circuit that cuts the power, if you use the starter battery & the lights are on long enough the van won't start. :(

Yeah me, too. I think though that a couple of low voltage LED lights wouldn't flatten the starter battery even if left on for hours, so I don't think there's a problem even if the OP doesn't have a dual battery setup.

Yeah....roger that Hector, LED is the way to go....but it's not unusual (I think that's a song) for someone to say: me battery is flat, due you think the 300 watt load is too much. :mrgreen:
No Squire, not just any van....it has to be a Mk7 (VM.1) :D
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Allan007 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi, i have the same issue, older stuff had a switch so you could leave them turned on.

Think I'm going to put some extra lighting circuits in as I'm going to use mine as a day van.

I think mine has an extra battery, i.e. it has two batteries under the seat. It was a western power service vehicle so it has another split charger in the back leading to a fuse box. i think someone took the extra additional battery before it was sold.

They did leave the diesel heater however which is great if i convert the van further.

Allan
Allan007

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits