*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit wheels and tyres!

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Transit wheels and tyres!

Postby snowie » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:52 pm

I have a 2017 Transit campervan, which when converted, had 18" alloy wheels put on. (tyre size 235/50ZR18 101W extra load)
Just discovered the spare wheel strapped under the van is a 15" with tyre size 215/65R15 on it.
Can this be used safely as a 'get you home spare', or is using this 15" with 3 x 18" others a 'no no'?

Also, would like to get winter tyres for it. Rather than putting winter tyres on the 18" alloys, I thought I would buy a set of steel wheels, put winter tyres on these,
and put them on the van, storing the 18" alloys with their original tyres on them.
Problem is that there appears to be so many different wheel sizes for different transit models.
So apart from physically fitting a wheel to the van to make sure it fits, how can I tell if a wheel will fit my van before I buy?
Buying off of Gumtree or Ebay, so have to know before I buy.
Thanks
snowie
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Transit wheels and tyres!

Postby hughesyn » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:58 pm

It's not ideal because the rolling diameter of the alloys is 32mm larger.
This means a 5% difference in circumference.

If you put on the non-driving axle you might get away with it.

However it's quite likely that the ESP and ABS will throw a wobbly because that wheel is going slower than the other 3.

OK to get you home, but no further.
2023 Mk8 DCIV 170 auto L3H2
hughesyn
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits