*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fuel filter blocked & Check engine comes and goes

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Fuel filter blocked & Check engine comes and goes

Postby huns » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:27 am

Few weeksback my van popped up "fuel filter blocked" error about 3 times during the night. It was only a yellow allert, which went away. Of course I don't take these lightly, but service cannot do a thing if the warning doesn't come up when I bring the van to them.

Used my van twice since, no issues.

Tonight, the "Check Engine" message and chime comes up. And goes. This is the weirdest.
- car pops message after a start
- limp mode starts
- chime and icon goes away by itself
- limp mode remains ever since first chime/pop-up
- same chime and error comes up every 10-15 minutes

What can I do?
Car has been to maintenance just recently, they changed oil and oil filter (was there). Any tips or clues?

(got a reader which is of course, is not with me. and who knows when it will come up again. Let me tell you. It sucks to drive an entire night in limp mode.)

Ps,: The van can stutter if I press gas. This happened after like the 15th warning.
The van has 41,000km in it. We only use it for special delivery, it is treated well and also serviced regularly.
---------------------------------
- Transit MK8 LWB 2.2D 155 bhp - Trend - Cam: Viofo A119 cfw
- Tourneo Connect LWB 1.5D 120bhp - Titanium - Cam: Lukas WK-7950 Dual
- Mondeo MK4 2.2D 235bhp stage1 - Titanium - Cam: Viofo A119 cfw | 70mai Dash Cam Pro
huns
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Fuel filter blocked & Check engine comes and goes

Postby hectors-tranny » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:43 am

My Volvo V70 had this problem. Guy at garage replaced my fuel filter and asked me if I use Tescos diesel- which I did. He said he'd had several cars recently with the same issue, and all used Tescos diesel. Since I've changed to BP ultimate as recommended I've had no problems. More power as well.

Seems strange, I know. I thought diesel was diesel. Just a thought.

PS - admittedly I also used Tescos in my Transit Mk8 without any problem. Although I now run that on BP ultimate as well - just in case!
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby huns » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:27 pm

@hectors-tranny
Thank you for the reply!
Yeah, went to the service today to check the codes. (I bought a scanner for this and also have "FORScan" on my phone, but of course I managed to lose the scanner somewhere.)

They found only fuel related codes.
Codes were:
P2539
P0089
P0148
P228C
All the codes are about not enough fuel / low fuel, etc.

So today was like:
- We suffered like this for around 8-10 hours straight. It was the worst car experience in my life to be fair.
- I didn't have by FORScan phone + adapter with me, otherwise I might have been able to clear the code.
- In case you get hit by this! TEMPORARY FIX below!
- Filled up my tank with premium diesel at OMV but only like 1/4th of the tank was empty, so that was not enough to clear the problem (and the codes were also stuck, even though it came and went away on it's own on the dashboard.)

What will happen:
- Service cleared out the codes, but also printed them out for us.
- If the van experiences the same issue, we should take it back to them, they scan again, and we bring all the paper to the repair center. (the scanner folks cannot do warranty jobs)

Lesson:
- Use premium diesel in cold (-5C and below), and use proper/good brand diesel just in general. Such a journey IS NO FUN. I am not kidding.
- Replace the fuel filter at every 40k KM or so. Depends on what fuel you use. Problem is, the filter case is very well hidden under the van and it's a plastic case. The brand Ford filter is cheap, but the case is not. And the service does not replace it ever at intervals - because of the new EU regulations, they must aim for the least amount of waste. So that's why you have the sensor inside that tells you if the filter is clogged. But yeah, it's better to replace it. I checked eBay, they have cheap cases too, maybe I will buy one and bring it with me to this Ford dealership.
- Again. GOOD and/or PREMIUM fuel. We have a Tourneo Connect and the DPF already warned us once at ~20.000km. Used premium since then (not always, but in general) and better fuel, no warnings ever since. I am sure the fuel quality matters on how fast the filter clogs up. And if it doesn't, the Tourneo would have suffered the same fate as the MK8 did.

WORKAROUND if you are hit by this:
- MAKE SURE TO REFILL WITH PREMIUM AS SOON AND AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. (you can't lose much, maybe a couple of extra quids)

- Try an OBD scanner that is compatible with FORscan. Clearing out the codes can help the issue.

- If you have no scanner...
a) turn off the engine, ignition, all.
b) BREAK+GAS to the floor.
c) turn key into ignition position.
d) "Service oil change" will pop up
e) Turn off the van now, remove key, lock doors
f) wait until the clock disappears from your radio unit
g) enjoy your 30-50km very slow ride without error. be careful, a bigger push on the gas and you get the errors back. then again, this way you can do ~70km/h very mildly, instead of going in 2nd or in no gear at all - and having your engine stutter all the way, which is also very stressful. yes, we did this procedure around 20 times today. but hey, it brought us home.
---------------------------------
- Transit MK8 LWB 2.2D 155 bhp - Trend - Cam: Viofo A119 cfw
- Tourneo Connect LWB 1.5D 120bhp - Titanium - Cam: Lukas WK-7950 Dual
- Mondeo MK4 2.2D 235bhp stage1 - Titanium - Cam: Viofo A119 cfw | 70mai Dash Cam Pro
huns
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hectors-tranny » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:10 pm

Thanks for all that info - will keep a note in case it happens to me, but I'm using premium diesel all the time now.

With the Volvo, turning engine off then on again got it out of limp mode, then it was OK as long as I drove it very carefully. Been fine though since filter was changed and premium diesel used.

HT.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits