*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Help needed with routine diesel fuel filter change

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Help needed with routine diesel fuel filter change

Postby KevofCov » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:09 am

Has anybody changed the diesel fuel filter on a 2.2 RWD MK8? I’ve heard that access is poor and that the job is a bit of a pig. Any advice would be great.
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Help needed with routine diesel fuel filter change

Postby kevcon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:58 am

Not so much changed mine, but put it back together after it came apart by it's self and put 60 ltes all over the road.
It's by the rear axle, passenger side. Where the cooler is.
kevcon
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Frag » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:10 pm

If you don't have one,search transit fuel filter tool,Laser sell one for about £11.
Makes the job loads better without damaging the filter bowl or having to remove the housing assy.

Fuel filter is under van in front of fuel tank,it's at rear as said on buses or vans with Adblue tank up front.
Drain it first as it holds about half a litre,there are arrows on the bowl and housing,also the filter itself to align.
Put some grease on the rubber seals to turn it easier.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby KevofCov » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:03 pm

Thats great gents - I really appreciative your time in typing :D :D :D

Are there any issues with air getting into the system? I'm guessing not as it is way back in the low pressure side of the fuel system...
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Frag » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:46 pm

If you have this large type of fuel filter,stage 5,there is a electric lift pump in fuel tank,incorporated with the sender unit.
I've always bled them right up to fuel pump under bonnet by removing the pipe there,and bridging the electric pumps relay.

The alternative method is.........
Turning ignition on and off will run the fuel pump for a few seconds,and prime system.
If you look to the right of the cylinder head under bonnet,(RWD)you will find the fuel feed connection to pump,it has a tyre valve fitting with a dust cap on,pushing the centre will allow trapped air to purge.
So key it on and off a few times,or get someone else to do this while you push this till you get diesel.

(I've seen folk not bleed these, and just fire them up with fingers crossed that filter fills before engine runs out of fuel,with some success,I'd rather just bleed it and have done.)
Frag
Ford Technician

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits