*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine diagnostics

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Engine diagnostics

Postby EML » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:50 am

Question: does the local main dealer have better diagnostic kit than the garage down the road? Does the Ford kit run more checks, or have access to other information that hasn't made it into the after-market test kit, or a £20 OBD2 scanner?

The reason I ask is that my 2014 Trend (155hp 2.2D TDCi) went into limp mode a couple of times on my last long trip in the summer. It was Ok after stopping for 10 or 20 minutes. I took it to the local garage when I got back, but their kit didn't show anything. They said the test kit at the Ford main dealer was better, and they might be able to get a code out of it. It was Ok at the time, so I left it.

I've done about 50 miles/week since then, and for the past couple of weeks the service light has come on a few minutes after starting, but then goes out. So, do I spend the money and get the dealer to do a check, or take it back to the local garage, or buy my own scanner?
EML

Re: Engine diagnostics

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:29 pm

if i had this trouble and had been through what you have just described ..i would be getting my own gear to do diagnostics ..but for this ford transit you don't buy a scanner you download free software called forscan to a laptop or high end mobile ..you buy a cable called an elm 327 or blue tooth adaptors
and then join the forscan forum

https://forscan.org/forum/ also free

to learn how to use it ..then you are away

basically ..its down to the forscan telling you the codes ..you type the codes into google with the word "ford".
google or this forum gives you the meanings and what to do.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Engine diagnostics

Postby EML » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:11 pm

Thanks - ordered an OBDLink. This is going to be a step up from my 1980s Haynes manuals... :/
EML

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits