*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rear view mirror with camera

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Rear view mirror with camera

Postby mufcpaul74 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi,

I have just bought a 2013 Transit Custom Limited 155 BHP, I was wondering where and how to get the rear view mirror with camera. It looks like my van has the connections under the plastic cover but thats all. any help would be greatly appreciated. also does the Rear view mirror camera always show whats happening behind, hope so as ive got a panel van plus bulk head so rear view mirror alone is no use!!

Cheers

Paul
mufcpaul74

Re: Rear view mirror with camera

Postby dan_robinson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Only shows the image when in reverse. It's illegal to do otherwise (watching a screen laws etc).

Don't know about the rest of your query I'm afraid.
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby John Johnson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:27 pm

As above plus there are two different mounts too . You would need the camera assuming the looms in situ and I don't know whether it's plug and play . My new van has the mirror but the screen pops up on the dash as it's the hi line dash
John Johnson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:52 am

I looked at the oem one but was silly money to retro fit and I have no use for a rear view mirror having a full bulkhead.

I added an aftermarket one, got it from amazon, cost 30 quid and it's excellent. Just a 6" LCD and the camera slots into one of the number plate lights. You could pay around 50 quid and get a wireless version to save running all the cabling, but I went cabled. Mine sits up exactly where a rear view mirror would be.

You could add a switch to have it on at will but mine is just wired to the reverse light as a trigger.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Camper steve » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:54 am

loads of wireless mount cameras about on ebay now that conenct to your phone as a screen if you want a cheap and easy to fit solution
Camper steve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby yasser » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:36 pm

dan_robinson wrote:Only shows the image when in reverse. It's illegal to do otherwise (watching a screen laws etc).

Don't know about the rest of your query I'm afraid.

Watching a tv or video screen is illegal but rear view mirrors/camers are considered a driving aid and as such they can be viewed. don't forget mobile phones and tablets have the ability to be used as satnavs and these can be used along with satnavs and they're all technically screens. Its more what you are using it for that counts
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby richbee » Wed May 03, 2017 2:37 pm

S60r wrote:I looked at the oem one but was silly money to retro fit and I have no use for a rear view mirror having a full bulkhead.

I added an aftermarket one, got it from amazon, cost 30 quid and it's excellent. Just a 6" LCD and the camera slots into one of the number plate lights. You could pay around 50 quid and get a wireless version to save running all the cabling, but I went cabled. Mine sits up exactly where a rear view mirror would be.

You could add a switch to have it on at will but mine is just wired to the reverse light as a trigger.

Don't suppose you've got any photos of the fitting / cabling process?
I fancy doing this, but any hints on routes for wires & location of 12V supply much appreciated.
Mine is an L2 DCIV with barn doors
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby S60r » Wed May 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Same van as mine richbee.... I didn't take photos although I could take a picture of the finished article if needed.

Basically the camera replaces the most central number plate light. Just pops out. From there I fed it through the barn door gator and up the rear of the tail light cluster along the roof channel and over the bulkhead on the near side. Once passed the bulkhead I travelled above the headlining until past the b pillar then across to the centre of the windscreen. The screen mounts up there where a rear view mirror would be.

Power for the screen is taken from the fuse box customer access point (up the A pillar on the offside) there is a negative ground point on the A pillar behind the trim which is the nearest.

The rear just needs splicing into the reverse light feed for a trigger to activate the screen.

I must admit it took a few hours for me to run the cabling (just used cable rods) but well worth it for an outlay of £30!

Hope It all makes sense.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby richbee » Thu May 04, 2017 5:30 pm

S60r wrote:Same van as mine richbee.... I didn't take photos although I could take a picture of the finished article if needed.

Basically the camera replaces the most central number plate light. Just pops out. From there I fed it through the barn door gator and up the rear of the tail light cluster along the roof channel and over the bulkhead on the near side. Once passed the bulkhead I travelled above the headlining until past the b pillar then across to the centre of the windscreen. The screen mounts up there where a rear view mirror would be.

Power for the screen is taken from the fuse box customer access point (up the A pillar on the offside) there is a negative ground point on the A pillar behind the trim which is the nearest.

The rear just needs splicing into the reverse light feed for a trigger to activate the screen.

I must admit it took a few hours for me to run the cabling (just used cable rods) but well worth it for an outlay of £30!

Hope It all makes sense.

That's great, really helpful.
I wonder, if it takes that long to run all the cables, would it be worth buying a more expensive camera system - you'd be really fed up if it broke down and you had to do it all again!
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby S60r » Thu May 04, 2017 7:19 pm

Haha! Yes, I have to be honest, if I were to do it again I would use a wireless camera and LCD. There are plenty around and they are only another 30-40 quid.

Having said all that, the system I have works flawlessly and is way better than the factory fit camera on our previous couple of cars, so for 30 quid a great mod if you can be bothered with running the cable through. Even with wireless you will still have to do the fuse box feed, negative ground and the reverse trigger obviously.

:)

If any of the hardware were to fail, the cabling is there now and is standard phono plugs so I will be able to add any screen or camera to the existing set up..... the quality of the image is spot on.... even the night vision is excellent, it's just not worth buying the 300 quid systems I see advertised.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mufcpaul74 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Sounds brilliant, any clue on the best ones?

Cheers Paul
mufcpaul74

Postby S60r » Sun May 07, 2017 9:03 am

mufcpaul74 wrote:Sounds brilliant, any clue on the best ones?

Cheers Paul

There are some that fit on the high level brake light that look good but this is the one I have...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reverse-Rear- ... SwImRYh4ZB
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby roughtech » Sun May 07, 2017 10:24 am

Does anyone know if the camera connection (over the number plate ) is usable to reposition at a higher point as I can not use the camera when reversing a trailer. Don't want to bracket mount on roof but would like to put it higher up on the door

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
roughtech
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby S60r » Sun May 07, 2017 10:55 am

I think this is the most common mounting place if you use a trailer or tow.

My screen has 2 inputs as most do so I may put one up there and switch between the 2.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit- ... SwAANY73Z0
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby vanvliet » Tue May 09, 2017 2:55 pm

[quote="S60r"]Haha! Yes, I have to be honest, if I were to do it again I would use a wireless camera and LCD. There are plenty around and they are only another 30-40 quid.

Came across this kit. Looks like the same screen as yours and is 'wireless' for a very reasonable £50 . Has anyone fitted one?
EBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252928744846
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Transit Custom