*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fitting a cb radio

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Fitting a cb radio

Postby seikokid » Fri May 19, 2017 5:18 pm

seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ABA » Sat May 20, 2017 12:44 pm

when fitting a cb in any motor car / van / lorry for all round reception as mavericktc says place aerial in the middle of the roof but if you want to transmit directionaly say you want to transmit mainly in front of you place your aerial at the rear your motor roof will act as a ground plane and pull your signal forwards same as if you want most of your signal going behind you place aerial at the front so if you want most of your signal going in one direction place your aerial on the opersite side of the roof most people want Omni direction so yes in the middle of roof is best
most aerials have a loading coil thus making the overall length smaller for 27 mgs with out a loading coil you will need a wipe of just under 9 ft but remember when you transmite on any aerial you don't transmit from the top you actually transmit from about a foot above the loading coil all the rest of the aerial is just to balance the signal it runs up and down the aerial and jumps of about 1 ft above the coil most cb aerials are base loaded but at one time you could get centre loaded coils but not seen any centre loaded aerials for a long time
ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seikokid » Sat May 20, 2017 10:16 pm

i won't be moving it, i put it there because i need to remove it for car parks. So, your saying height of Ariel is pointless unless coil is up high ??
Should i look into an ariel with a loading coil ?
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ABA » Sun May 21, 2017 2:29 pm

that aerial you have is a fire stick it has a coil from top to bottom performance wise you wont get much better what is your swr set at
ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seikokid » Mon May 22, 2017 7:39 am

when i set it up it was 1.4
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ABA » Mon May 22, 2017 7:42 pm

that's fine
ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seikokid » Mon May 22, 2017 10:51 pm

Thanks , is there any benefit for me from a longer antenna ?
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ABA » Tue May 23, 2017 2:00 pm

looking at your picture I take it your aerial is mounted rear drivers side so when you transmit most of your signal will be going over the near side front because the roof will be dragging it that way for best all round transmitting is stick your aerial smack bang in the middle of your car all aerials work differently on different car so what works well on one car could work crappy on another names that worked well on most cars K 40 ,AVANTI MOONRACKER 4 OR 6 all base loaded aerials with a whip all of these have a base loaded coil made of copper the thicker the copper the better the reception and transmit my faverite was and still it the Avanti moonracker 6 base loaded with a 6 ft stainless steel whip
your transeaver can make a great difference ( cb radio )
ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seikokid » Tue May 23, 2017 4:21 pm

thanks , not possible nor practical as mentioned above for mounting it in any other position. i'll look into those models you mentioned. Today noticed this so i imagine it hasn't been helping my situation much !!
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Wadey » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:07 pm

I got one with a speaker on. The front I drilled the roof in the end and mounted the Ariel on the back of the roof 1100 miles to Ireland and back no problems I could even hear other people further away than most people
The Ariel is on a quick release so it comes off leaving a 2 inch stub so it can go into car parks still
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Previous

Return to Transit Custom