*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Winter tyres

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Winter tyres

Postby funkeyfarmer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Thanks for all the replies and advice lads. Went with the michilens today only have to deal with dirty wet roads normally here and a bit of ice
funkeyfarmer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:00 am

mavericktc wrote:All season is sh*t if you get proper winters.
I use studded hakkas.

Anything exclusive made for winter use is probably fine in the UK.

It’s an offence to use studded tyres or snow chains in a way that they’ll damage the road surface, so basically if there isn’t snow or ice covering the tarmac, you can’t use them in the UK. (<<<Much simplified version)
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby mavericktc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:52 pm

Mike wrote:
I use studded hakkas.

It’s an offence to use studded tyres or snow chains in a way that they’ll damage the road surface, so basically if there isn’t snow or ice covering the tarmac, you can’t use them in the UK. (<<<Much simplified version)

I didn't say that people in the UK should use studded tires.
mavericktc
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:20 pm

mavericktc wrote:
Mike wrote:
I use studded hakkas.

I didn't say that people in the UK should use studded tires.

I didn’t say you did, I just followed your slightly ambiguous post with another :wink:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby a11y » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:41 am

After more snow and non-snow-general-shitty-UK-winter miles on my all-seasons I’m happy with them. Fully aware they’ll not perform as well in snow compared to winters, but got to weigh up how often proper snow actually happens in the UK. Even being north of the wall I still don’t normally experience snow that frequently, although a lot of the winter is under 7degC where winters or all-seasons make sense.

If it REALLY snows heavily I’ll just use my car with proper winter tyres instead – years of RWD taught me the benefits of winter tyres. If Transit was my only vehicle and I was utterly reliant on it then I’d probably have 2 sets for it.

One thing I’ll say is I think my Pirellis are on the ‘summer’ end of the all-season tyre spectrum, being closer to a summer than a winter. We’ve got Nokian Weatherproof all-seasons on the wife’s car and they look more winter-orientated. Originally wanted those for the Transit but poor reviews of the commercial version.
2017 Transit Custom DCIV 290 L2 130ps | Also a recovering VWT5-aholic...
a11y
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Transit Custom