*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine not heating up

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Engine not heating up

Postby sam in france » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi All

I am new to the Forum and recently (November) bought a new Ford Custom Minibus, which i use in the French Alps

I have noticed it takes a long time for the engine to heat up, is this normal

I recently went for a long drive and after some time the engine did get up to a normal operating temperature, however when in a city Town centre in heavy traffic the engine temperature went down to a little over 60c, it was a cold day, should the thermostat not control this

I am getting about 8.4 litres per 100 kilometres at the moment, it feels a bit high, i expected better fuel consumption

Can anyone advise if the above is normal

On the whole i am very pleased with my van and it has performed very well in the snow, (i do have winter tyres on it)

Thank you in advance

Sam
sam in france

Re: Engine not heating up

Postby loot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:13 pm

If it is cold and you have both heaters on then it is possible that the engine isn't working hard enough to get the water system too hot, also the stat will open and close I expect when temps get cool enough.
You could put card board in front of the radiator to test it, don't forget about it though!
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Chug » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:11 am

This soumds like a thermostat stuck open, or missing, Have you checked the thermostat is operating correctly?
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Softlips » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:24 am

I’d agree, it sounds like the thermostat is stuck open.
Softlips
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sparker000 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:55 am

I have been in the Alps for several weeks this year. When temps where well in the minus numbers, my Tourneo took a long time to even move the gauge from cold. Most noticeable when dropping down to and around the resort. Heated up normally when heading up the mountain putting some more load on the engine and making it work harder.

With no load on the engine and with the heater blowing in the cab in an attempt to warm up inside, it would take probably 10 to 15mins to see any movement in the gauge. Now it is back in UK all is normal.

I don't remember seeing the temp drop once hot though. If it was cold cold then I would think it could if you where driving lightly, again trying to get heat into the cabin.

I would suggest not to worry and wait for warmer weather before undertaking any investigation.
sparker000
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Veki007 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:30 pm

If im correct yours is euro 6 i had one when my was under repair and it takes much longer to warm up then my euro 5 is probably how this engines are built.And during this cold weather in UK recently ,my euro 5 was idling on 1k constantly while temperature was bellow-1 anything above that and it was back to normal.They might not be build for cold weather.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom