*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Custom Fuel Efficiency?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Transit Custom Fuel Efficiency?

Postby Marcob » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:46 am

moley551 wrote:From what I've experienced the trip computer is very accurate, It depends on where you get fuel though the garage I use 80% of the time is far from flat which makes a big difference to how much fuel you can get in 82 ltrs with the LH front wheel at the highest point, down to 72 ltrs if its the lowest, based on nearly 60k and 3 years of running. I always run from full to empty refueling normally with less than 10miles left, 0 quite often and once 19miles after 0 literally missing for a mile before the garage 29/30mpg 95% of the time up and down hills fully loaded, Cornwall to Colchester last week 38mpg up 37mpg back, I'm sure 10% could be gained turning aircon off, driving at 60mph and minimising the load etc that would be very close to the advertised figers.
If you look on "fuely" there are quite a few vans showing what look like filling errors, ie 25mpg followed by 35mpg the next entry or vise versa when the overall average is 30mpg.

The one and only time I let the trip get to zero the thing started spluttering before it got to -1. I was lucky to get to the nearest pumps.
Black 290 L2H1 125 PS Limited
The Ford Transit Custom - saving the environment by not actually going anywhere.
Zero emissions for 4 months and counting.....
Marcob
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Sparkeselectrical » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:55 am

My trip computer is fairly accurate too, my van has stop start witch should make a difference as the mpg figures on most vehicles (not just Ford) won't take in to account the fuel used whilst idling at traffic lights or in queues etc. Which will impact on the overall mpg figures
New 170 Limited 290 L1 DCiV
Sparkeselectrical
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby moley551 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:20 am

Marcob wrote:
moley551 wrote:From what I've experienced the trip computer is very accurate, It depends on where you get fuel though the garage I use 80% of the time is far from flat which makes a big difference to how much fuel you can get in 82 ltrs with the LH front wheel at the highest point, down to 72 ltrs if its the lowest, based on nearly 60k and 3 years of running. I always run from full to empty refueling normally with less than 10miles left, 0 quite often and once 19miles after 0 literally missing for a mile before the garage 29/30mpg 95% of the time up and down hills fully loaded, Cornwall to Colchester last week 38mpg up 37mpg back, I'm sure 10% could be gained turning aircon off, driving at 60mph and minimising the load etc that would be very close to the advertised figers.
If you look on "fuely" there are quite a few vans showing what look like filling errors, ie 25mpg followed by 35mpg the next entry or vise versa when the overall average is 30mpg.

The one and only time I let the trip get to zero the thing started spluttering before it got to -1. I was lucky to get to the nearest pumps.

I know that feeling very well it's amazing how they just seem to keep going at -19 I did virtually coast into the forecourt and it needed some cranking to fire up again :lol:
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby moley551 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:54 am

Sparkeselectrical wrote:My trip computer is fairly accurate too, my van has stop start witch should make a difference as the mpg figures on most vehicles (not just Ford) won't take in to account the fuel used whilst idling at traffic lights or in queues etc. Which will impact on the overall mpg figures

its a bit smarter than you think when your idling it changes to gallons/liters per hour, modern common rail engines can fire the injectors about 7 times per cycle thus metering minute amounts of fuel the ECU can work precisely how much fuel is used probably more accurately than the small discrepancies in distance travelled due to tyre wear/size etc
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby John Johnson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:45 pm

I've just done a run from sheffield to Manchester with 600k there and the same back and the van averaged over 45 to the gallon and went very very well compared to my old 155 sportvan , very impressive engine
John Johnson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby John Johnson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:51 pm

I've just done a run from sheffield to Manchester with 600k there and the same back and the van averaged over 45 to the gallon and went very very well compared to my old 155 sportvan , very impressive engine
John Johnson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby vespaloco » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:01 pm

Brand new 100BHP Trend on flat autopista with passenger 200kg in back with aircon and 76mph on cruise control 8.2 litres per 100kms works out at 34MPG.
Not as good as my old T4 transporter 1.9TD .Mind you that spend its last trip from Barcelona on the back of a recovery truck :(
vespaloco
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby John Johnson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:00 pm

That's not great , I'm quite impressed so far but that may change lol
John Johnson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:05 pm

http://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/fo ... ustom-2013

interesting reading... the submitted mileages from owners seem spot on and the official ford figures are overly optimistic.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:12 pm

S60r wrote:http://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/transit-custom-2013

interesting reading... the submitted mileages from owners seem spot on and the official ford figures are overly optimistic.

Of course they're optimistic, everyone knows they are :roll:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby S60r » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Mike wrote:
S60r wrote:http://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/transit-custom-2013

Of course they're optimistic, everyone knows they are :roll:

Haha... Not "everyone" it seems reading through this thread :D
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby John Johnson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:51 pm

Mines fine touch wood
John Johnson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mavericktc » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:32 pm

A little update here.

Drove 1200 km this weekend under identical conditions (Stockholm - Göteborg and back).
Van was loaded with around 500kg, total weight around 2500kg.'
The trailer was a dual axle car transporter + car which was around 2100 kg in total.

Held 100 km/h, 62 mph on the cruise control.

95% motorway, quite "hilly" at times.

You could feel the power disappearing when the regen was doing it's thing.
When it wasn't it pulled like a train in sixth gear up the hills except the bigger ones were I had to downshift.

I'm impressed with the figures.
Wonder what the trafic would get under this conditions.
Ooooh, sorry, you can't do it legally :mrgreen: 8)
Only 2000 kg in towing :lol:

EDIT; My van is a 2016 swb limited 170 ps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mavericktc
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby richbee » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:31 pm

I've had my 2017 2.0 130 DCIV L2 for just over 10k miles now and still showing around 40mpg on the screen all the time.

Mostly A roads and motorways and lightly loaded (apart from a round trip to chamonix with 4 up and mountain bikes + All the kit - still averaged over 39)

I also record all fuel use on in a spreadsheet, which shows that that the trip computer is a little optimistic, but I've still averaged 38.5mpg over the complete 10k miles.
I'm well impressed :D :D :D :D
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Mines settled at 34.3 mpg
Going slow makes no difference to it :?
So its foot down and big hairy balls out :P
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist