*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Headlights

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Headlights

Postby BNObournemouth » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:42 pm

Mike wrote:
BNObournemouth wrote:
MIKE... Have you EVER, even once had any error message as in 'Dipped Beam Fault' on the CANBUS / message information screen whilst using the 35 Watt kit at all? And you are using the older style, chrome box ballasts from HIDs4U aren't you?

Never ever chap, it's been faultless which is why I find the problems surprising. But it IS why Tran59 had his thread title changed to include the DO NOT USE 55W KITS line, we thought it was the power draw on startup that caused a problem with the BCM when the 55w kits were used.

Older chrome ballasts in the kit which I bought in Jan 2014. I had a kit from HIDS4U for my MK6 many years ago, which I then sold after 2 years to another member here, it was faultless throughout.

I am beginning to wonder if the current kit will swap over to my new van without problems though :? I hope it does as I really like the hids.

Hmmm, I put in some Philips XTremeVision 55W H7's in the van yesterday, and it is the first time I have ever actually seen / used standard Halogen bulbs in it. I bought the HID kit when the van was brand new, didn't drive it the first day at night, fitted the HID kit and had it in there since. I have to say that the beam pattern from the Philips H7 bulbs are crap, not to mention a BIG drop in light output (understandably)... Maybe it's because they have a reflective cap on the top of the bulb that throws light backwards into the projector lens? I was wondering if you can remember what the beam pattern on the original factory fitted halogens was like in yours before you upgraded to HID? The beam pattern on these philips actually throws light out sideways, making two sort of 'slits' of light that illiminate houses either side of a side street, surely this can't be right? I have double checked the fitting by the way, they can only go in one way and they are sat in the housing fine, with clip seated correctly. I'm thinking that standard cheapy H7 halogens bulbs do not have a reflective cap on them, so they will be more efficient in projector housings and not throw any light backwards / sideways? I am probably going to try the old style ballast 35W kit from HIDs4U to be honest, and cross my fingers on them being happy for at least two years. :O
BNObournemouth
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:00 pm

BNObournemouth wrote: I was wondering if you can remember what the beam pattern on the original factory fitted halogens was like in yours before you upgraded to HID?

Like you, I only drove it in daylight for a day then changed to the HID's. I'll be taking the hid's out any day so I'll report back when I've driven at night with the standard bulbs.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby BNObournemouth » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:07 pm

Mike wrote:
BNObournemouth wrote: I was wondering if you can remember what the beam pattern on the original factory fitted halogens was like in yours before you upgraded to HID?

Like you, I only drove it in daylight for a day then changed to the HID's. I'll be taking the hid's out any day so I'll report back when I've driven at night with the standard bulbs.

What bulbs are you going to be using, are they from the factory / Ford ones? These will probably be just standard Halogens, with no extra burn increase or light blue filter. You will deffo see a difference, and maybe like me, be very surprised by it. :)
BNObournemouth
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:13 pm

BNObournemouth wrote:
What bulbs are you going to be using, are they from the factory / Ford ones? These will probably be just standard Halogens, with no extra burn increase or light blue filter. You will deffo see a difference, and maybe like me, be very surprised by it. :)

Yes I'll just pop the originals back in.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby BNObournemouth » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:22 pm

Mike wrote:
BNObournemouth wrote:

Yes I'll just pop the originals back in.

Nice one... Let me know how it looks, or maybe take a pic and upload? Like I said, keep an eye out for the sideways 'slits' of light throw, and not much forward. :/
BNObournemouth
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:00 pm

BNObournemouth wrote:
Nice one... Let me know how it looks, or maybe take a pic and upload? Like I said, keep an eye out for the sideways 'slits' of light throw, and not much forward. :/

Just put the original ones back in...........they're F***ng awful! Dark patches in front of the van, dim, yellow and generally shite!
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Keepingitcool » Mon May 02, 2016 7:25 am

Hahaha I'm having the same problem, just reverted back to the standard CANDLES they are awful! Now going to order 35w 6000k hid kit, the 55w kit just isn't worth the agro, was working for a month now the dreaded bulb fault coming up

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Loving my M-sport Transit!! :D
Keepingitcool
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby keeff » Mon May 02, 2016 9:41 am

I used the hid 35 kit and still had the bulb fault and one not light up fault. I have fitted Osram nightbreakers and they bring the light output up to what I would call normal. I haven't driven a vehicle with such bad lights for years but it has a 5 star crash rating so that makes up for not seeing the road ahead.
If you find the 35s work ok can you post please as I would still love to fit HIDS if I can get a set that work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
keeff
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Veki007 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:51 am

keeff wrote:I used the hid 35 kit and still had the bulb fault and one not light up fault. I have fitted Osram nightbreakers and they bring the light output up to what I would call normal. I haven't driven a vehicle with such bad lights for years but it has a 5 star crash rating so that makes up for not seeing the road ahead.
If you find the 35s work ok can you post please as I would still love to fit HIDS if I can get a set that work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a problem with my hids4u but when i did some research I found about morimoto balasts and canabus and few months now on no problem at all but again no auto lights.I can post a link if somebody needs when i get home of what i used but only problem is it has to be ordered from USA

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby shire » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Any one else had issues or have the HID kits got better? Wondering wether to go for the 35 watt kit or just better bulbs
shire
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:57 am

I just have better lamps. I think they are osram nightbreaker "laser" or something like that. Popped up half price on amazon so had a go.

I find the headlights pretty good as standard so that coupled with all the issues I see across (all) forums I have been on with these HID kits.......I won't touch them.

The newest laser thingys are better than the previous nighbreakers but only in terms of being less yellow.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Previous

Return to Transit Custom