*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Upgrading the door speakers

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Upgrading the door speakers

Postby seikokid » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:37 pm

Mike wrote:
seikokid wrote:Just found a copy of the wiring colour code , it mentions only that there are 2 front speaker and 2 rear speaker wires. I really would like to find the cable points were the tweeters and doors speakers join

Probably close to the A pillar, it doesn't matter though as the signal is exactly the same. It might be a good place to mount the x-over though.

Fitting the crossover would have to be before the point where the cables are spliced and go off to the tweeter and the door speaker
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ravin beef » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:14 pm

seikokid wrote:I have looked into this - being an electrician myself I can see how it's not an easy job to fit these crossovers , in that this is a 1 year old vehicle and to start cutting up the loom is not what I really wish to do and there's quite a tight bunch under that dash . I'm not that fussed about the "perfect sound " because already fitting these speakers is far better than what I had and that was ok for me , just my hands free had started to wear out the tweeters . So I had a chat with my electronics repair guy and also some helpfull guys down at one of londons big car audio centres , if I fit a 4.7uf or similar Cap Across the new tweeters I will be back to my original set up just with new speakers . Until I can find a loom splitting kit or something neat and professional I'll use this method for now

You can get a T-Harness for behind the stereo if you don't want to be cutting the loom.

I fitted my X-overs behind the glovebox on the wires going to the mids and ran new wires to the tweeters - job done :)
ravin beef
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seikokid » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:41 pm

please can you expand on this T Harness , do you have a link I can look at please ?

it would be good if both the left and right speaker cables go behind the glove box, more so the right side to allow both crossovers to be fitted in the same place
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ravin beef » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:24 pm

seikokid wrote:please can you expand on this T Harness , do you have a link I can look at please ?

it would be good if both the left and right speaker cables go behind the glove box, more so the right side to allow both crossovers to be fitted in the same place

Have a look at this:

http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CT10FD09

With this you can chop into that, extend the wires down to the passenger footwell for connection to the crossovers, then run new wires to the tweeters :)
ravin beef
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seikokid » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:44 pm

Perfect , that will do nicely !
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seikokid » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:54 pm

Job Done ! thanks for your help
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seikokid » Mon May 09, 2016 9:57 pm

So I'm at a loose end !?! - Tuning box removed and engine whine noise coming through tweeters when reving and driving. It's in tune with the engine so goes up and down with the revs . With the power disconnected from the inline amp I still get it from 1 tweeter and both when connected.
have upgraded door speakers to a set of focals.
Amp negative is spliced and grounded to chassis

Any ideas on how to eliminate the noise please ?
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seikokid » Thu May 12, 2016 6:00 pm

Would appear the noise is generated by induction through the crossovers / loom wiring.
The ISO cable would need to be totally run as separate power and signal cables, but without cutting and remaking / extending the entire loom I have to put up with other options. As of now I've moved the crossovers to under the passenger seat which brings the feedback to a bearable minimum but doesn't quench it completely.
Several chats with auto electricians have informed me that the custom is renown for this issue .
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Thu May 12, 2016 7:38 pm

That Italian fella that was here had the same problem, I told him a few times before he decided to move the x-overs (solved his problem). The ISO cable doesn't pick up any noise IME and I had zero noise with the x-overs in the position that you now have them.

I would't say that the Custom is 'renowned' for this or even as bad as the MK7, but poorly shielded x-overs and amps will always pick up stray noise, especially if poorly placed. The other source of noise is the amp gains being too high.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=136220&start=90#p1414183
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby seikokid » Thu May 12, 2016 10:18 pm

I hear you Mike , thing is before I bought the focals I had the in line amp as my first upgrade and this was when the engine feedback started - albeit not that loud I couldn't decipher if it was the tuning box or the amp - being lazy and always at work I never tried to disconnect the items and sample the differences ( plus my amp was behind the dash )
but I have a new van now and a remap. I also repositioned the amp under the steering column and installed the crossovers.
the noise has always been worse when de accelerating
I was advised to wrap the crossovers in lead flashing by a top end car audio company in Park Royal ?!?
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Thu May 12, 2016 10:40 pm

IMO there's just too much electrical equipment in the dash area, which is why I mounted all my audio stuff under the passenger seat. Wrapping it in lead is unlikely to work unless you use shielded speaker cables, unshielded cables will allow interference along them and into the x-overs even if they're encased in lead.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby seikokid » Wed May 25, 2016 10:12 pm

Sooooo!
Ripped everything out , bought a new Alpine amp and a wiring kit and fitted it as follows , and would you believe it I still get the whining !!!

Main power feed taken direct from secondary battery

Speaker cables spliced , soldered and heat shrinked

Amp mounted on bulkhead under passenger seat

Speaker wires run under carpet to centre of dash then up to head unit

Crossovers mounted under passenger seat on outside panel
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mavericktc » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:54 pm

Anyone got experience in these products (speakers and woofer)
www.ford-tillbehoer.se/transit%20custom ... ljudsystem

I will probably get a free upgrade from the dealer and getting these speakers from ford is by far the easiest way if it's free.

Should I look for something else or is it a reasonably good upgrade?
mavericktc
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby damian spain » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:40 pm

os dejo algun esquema por si os puede valer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
damian spain

Postby damian spain » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:43 pm

os dejo algun esquema por si os puede valer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
damian spain

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom