*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Upgrading the door speakers

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Upgrading the door speakers

Postby fera » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi Folks,

Can somebody tell me if the wires for the front speakers are going to the door or to the tweeter first ? Because i want to put my crossover somewhere but i have to find where the wires of the headunit are going first, are there going from the headunid to door and then to tweeter ? Or from headunit to tweeter and then to door speaker ? Thanks for reply ; -)
fera

Postby Rigmarole » Wed May 03, 2017 6:30 pm

They are split somewhere way deep within the dashboard, I would say without removing a significant chunk of the dash there's no way of putting a crossover at that (or near that) junction.
Rigmarole

Postby S60r » Sun May 07, 2017 1:16 pm

I plan to put crossover inside the A pillar or as close as possible and run a short new cable from the low pass side back through the door gator and into the new speaker. I will then ditch the original speaker cables once it's all connected.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mic71 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:59 pm

S60r wrote:I plan to put crossover inside the A pillar or as close as possible and run a short new cable from the low pass side back through the door gator and into the new speaker. I will then ditch the original speaker cables once it's all connected.

I did this to mine.
From what I could see the cable is just split somewhere and the tweeter in a pillar is the only factory crossover component.
I spliced into the cable at the head unit to install crossover in line to the door speakers then run a separate cable up to the tweeters.
It sounds great.
I can make the doorbell ring any time I want, all I have to do is go to the toilet.
mic71
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cowasaki » Sun May 20, 2018 8:50 am

Seems like the ideal place to ask regarding doing the same upgrade.......

So basically the speaker wires are literally just on a Y connection?

I have a set of decent door speakers, separate tweeters and cross overs which I bought for my mk6.

Are the standard speakers normal 6.5" rounds? Are they the same size as the Mk6?

What size are the actual tweeters?

Are the speakers connected with the normal Ford T plug?
I've rebuilt a Defender, several motorcycles and quite a bit to both a Mk6 & 7 Transit. Now bought a new Custom and just doing a few small bits to it.

Cowasaki's electrical tutorials: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166595
cowasaki
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Trasher83 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Any difference between the old Custom and the facelift model regarding speaker upgrades? Getting my faceliftmodel next week, and planning a little :)
Trasher83
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby TallPaul » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:17 am

Trasher83 wrote:Any difference between the old Custom and the facelift model regarding speaker upgrades? Getting my faceliftmodel next week, and planning a little :)

The sound in my facelift (Sync 3) is definitely much better than my old Custom, not sure if its down to better soundproofing or if the actual speakers are better. I havent bothered to get the doortrims off to upgrade them.
TallPaul
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Trasher83 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:50 am

TallPaul wrote:
Trasher83 wrote:Any difference between the old Custom and the facelift model regarding speaker upgrades? Getting my faceliftmodel next week, and planning a little :)

The sound in my facelift (Sync 3) is definitely much better than my old Custom, not sure if its down to better soundproofing or if the actual speakers are better. I havent bothered to get the doortrims off to upgrade them.

Thanks! Sounds good, the oem speakers in my 2014 was crap
Trasher83
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:08 am

They will still be crap in the facelift..... they have likely amped the output up from the sync 2... probably pumped it up from the massive 2x10w to around 20watts or maybe higher :O

The oem speakers will still be utter crap though... they are across all marques. Paper cones, zero coil weightless rubbish, the cheapest they could find no doubt.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cowasaki » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:18 am

S60r wrote:They will still be crap in the facelift..... they have likely amped the output up from the sync 2... probably pumped it up from the massive 2x10w to around 20watts or maybe higher :O

The oem speakers will still be utter crap though... they are across all marques. Paper cones, zero coil weightless rubbish, the cheapest they could find no doubt.

I have a pair of 6.5" Infinity Research door speakers with tweeters and cross overs which I originally put in my mk6 about a year ago then took out when it was crushed under the government scrappage scheme plus a pair of Infinity Research 6.5" dual cone speakers which I haven't had out of the box yet. Just need to know what the connections are in the door and whether I need fitment adapters then I can do them but didn't want to keep taking it all apart. Shame the Sync2 isn't a decent stereo...... Might bite the bullet and spent £500 on a decent double height head unit with sat nav etc in it too. Anyone know if you can fit one and still use/keep the small screen that has the clock/reverse diagram etc......

Oh and two Alpine V12 amps :) Might stick a sub woofer under the passenger seat......
I've rebuilt a Defender, several motorcycles and quite a bit to both a Mk6 & 7 Transit. Now bought a new Custom and just doing a few small bits to it.

Cowasaki's electrical tutorials: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166595
cowasaki
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby S60r » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:46 am

You will need to make it all fit. It’s not just plug and play for the speakers. I made mdf adapter rings 24mm was enough to get clearance for mounting and covered everything in dynamat equivalent. Definitely an improvement over the oem (even Halfords 40 quid vibes are a huge improvement over the stock rubbish!) but you’ll need an amp and sub for proper staging.

I had an under seat sub which was good enough with the speaker upgrade, but for serious improvement you’ll need amping.

You can plug and play any head unit you like with the correct adapter kit, facia, steering wheel control module and aerial adapter. You will lose certain function though on the small screen, parking display, the phone buttons on the steering and perhaps even the ability to alter the on board clock.... I kept the oem head unit as I want prepared to lose all that.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Trasher83 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:36 am

Does anyone remember if the quadlock connecting the stereo is modular? So you can switch out the speaker connection-module.

Found this, seems to be a nice, easy and tidy way of installing an amp.
In Finnish, but maybe google translate can help :D

https://www.hifitalo.fi/ah-ampc-2ch1-vahvistimen-asennuskaapeli-1m-quadlock

It's like 2 cablesetups in one, stereo->amp and amp->speakers
Trasher83
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Trasher83 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:20 am

Got my new sport. The sound is better in the faceliftmodel, but the stock speakers are the same 25w crap as in my 2014 custom.
Dynamatted the doors and switched out the doorspeakers, sounds a lot better. Still need to install a sub and an amp under the passenger seat, and route the cables :)
Trasher83
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Marky M » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:08 pm

Did you already instal the amp. How did you removen the radio

Everything is already in place (rear speakers and amp, bud still have to connect it to the radio.
Ford Transit Custom Sport 2018
* L2H1
* Chrome blue and stripes
* Customised for wheelchair accessibility/driving
* 20" Bola B20 Black polished
* K&N insert filter
* Led lights
https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=189567
Marky M
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Trasher83 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:04 pm

Marky M wrote:Did you already instal the amp. How did you removen the radio

Everything is already in place (rear speakers and amp, bud still have to connect it to the radio.

Removing the radio is easy, lift up the lid behind the screen. 3 screws, and the screen comes off. You'll see the wires and just cut the correct ones.
Trasher83
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom