*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Installed HID kit DO NOT USE 55w KITS

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Installed HID kit DO NOT USE 55w KITS

Postby Tran59 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:30 pm

DO NOT USE THE 55W KITS, THEY MAY DAMAGE YOUR VAN

Very straightforward installation using the HIDS4U.co.uk kit that Mike kindly gave me the heads-up on. No relays, no wires to the battery, just plug & play... well, almost. Going very slowly and carefully, it took me about 1 hour to fit the first side, but only about 15 minutes to do the second, as I knew what I was doing. I removed the headlights (very easy, just two bolts) to improve access.

Also fitted an LED parking bulb (top left of xenon light in the photo) to match the HID. Thanks again to Mike for advising me to go with the Osram model.

The photo was taken half way through in very bright spring sunshine (at last!!), so not the best quality, but you can see the difference between the two headlights: xenon on the left, Osram Nightbreakers (which were already a bit better than the factory issue H7s) on the right.

The best mods are the ones you don't see
Tran59
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Installed HID kit today

Postby jasonx » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:56 pm

Great job :D
Do you have links for the parts used,this will be the first mod I do to mine when it arrives (late may)
jasonx
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NigelOrg » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:17 am

That look great! Will be looking to do that as soon as I get mine!
I clicked on the link and went through the drop downs to find the correct kits. There are two options, 35w and 55w. Then when you click on either of those, there are colour options (5000k is what I would choose) and 2 different bulb types, reflector and non reflector. Which did you get?
I'm getting a limited.
NigelOrg
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby motosparkz » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:46 am

Hi,

Go for no more than 5k as 6 or 8k look way too blue. 5k looks much more factory. Also, only go for 35watt, this is more than enough. As mentioned before, use the current code of STRATHY for a little bit of a discount.

I do have a trade account with them, but tbh there is not much more discount than what the above code gives, but the HIDS4U are one of the best systems out there. After these I know I have had good results with the HIDS-DIRECT ones which do work out cheaper.

Cheers, Shane
Getting the magic smoke back in the wires is a lot harder than releasing it!!
motosparkz
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Tran59 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:56 am

Yes, I went with the 5000K H7 kit from hids4u. Seems very good quality and the instructions were very well written. The code STRATHY will get you £17 off :) Makes you wonder why a xenon light option often costs £700+ on a new car, when these are available for a tenth of that :?
Tran59
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby montesaimpala » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:40 am

Yesterday I also installed a kit of this company and I must emphasize the quality of this product, but I have noticed some shadows in the projection of light, may be due to the bulb?
I have seen that has a stain inside, yours is also?
montesaimpala

Postby Tran59 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:26 am

montesaimpala wrote:Yesterday I also installed a kit of this company and I must emphasize the quality of this product, but I have noticed some shadows in the projection of light, may be due to the bulb?
I have seen that has a stain inside, yours is also?

I can't say I have noticed anything like you describe, but I will have a look over the next few days. I haven't actually been out in the van in the dark yet, so I can't comment on the light pattern, but certainly against the house wall and across the lawn it seems ok.
Tran59
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dan_robinson » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:09 am

Are or lenses suitable for HIDs?

One of my pet hates are illegal headlights and idiots that think front fog lights are for appearances on a clear night.

Warnkers. :evil:

HIDS are great on the right vehicle, but a true menace otherwise.

Rant over.
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:48 am

Dan, the mid to highend Customs have projector lenses which are what most manufacturers use for their xenon lighting systems.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby dan_robinson » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:33 am

That's nice to hear, although aren't they suppose to self level rather than rely on the twiddly knob thingy?
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:24 pm

dan_robinson wrote:That's nice to hear, although aren't they suppose to self level rather than rely on the twiddly knob thingy?

Self level and washers are a requirement of factory fitted xenons. And 70mph is the speed limit on the motorway......
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Tran59 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Mike wrote:Self level and washers are a requirement of factory fitted xenons. And 70mph is the speed limit on the motorway......

:D

I've had cars in the past with OE xenons and always wondered why washers are a legal requirement because they are absolutely useless at removing grime. The only way to get caked on winter dirt off the headlight lens is mechanically with a cloth or some kind of wiper like Saabs used to have.
Tran59
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dan_robinson » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:41 pm

The ones on my car are lethal - they are random, so don't come on with every use of the main screen jets.

They also blank out any light form the headlights.

Scared the sh*t out of me the first few times :lol:
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby John Johnson » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:03 pm

Screen washers on mine empty the tank in about six squirts ... :roll:
John Johnson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Tran59 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:37 pm

They also spray washer fluid all over the front of the car. This then dries while you're driving and leaves hard-to-remove stains on the paint.
Tran59
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Transit Custom