*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Stop start stopped working!!

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Stop start stopped working!!

Postby Cookie Pjc » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:56 pm

sezyal wrote:dealer told me start-stop checks for 10-12 factors to decide if it needs to stop. Mine stopped working again, probably because I drain power with car computer when it's parked. Now I stopped computer and seeing engine is stopping.

Surely it should have enough power to keep start/stop working all the time or it's pointless having it???
Cookie Pjc
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby moley551 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:36 pm

Cookie Pjc wrote:Mines started working again today!!all I've done is unplug the iPod from usb,I normally keep that plugged in so it charges when ignition is on,I don't know if that drains the second battery or not??havent done a load of driving either,just half hour/hour round town,I was told the second battery was for start/stop only,I'll plug it back in an see if it turns start/stop off agin,surely that shouldn't drain battery to much it's on,y on when I'm driving.ford have said they need to put the battery on trickle charge so will need van over night,they just had it for a day an half last week an did f##k all with it just decided I must bring it in again,

I only have the std single battery after the van failed to start a few times and needed jump starting, Vospers tested the battery overnight and claimed it was OK and it must be my fault? A short time later after a 300mile trip it failed to start again needing a jump! It had to go in again for testing before they got one to replace it.....a "Transit centre" and they didn't have a battery in stock!!!!
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mussels » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:48 pm

Cookie Pjc wrote:Mines started working again today!!all I've done is unplug the iPod from usb,I normally keep that plugged in so it charges when ignition is on,I don't know if that drains the second battery or not??havent done a load of driving either,just half hour/hour round town,I was told the second battery was for start/stop only,I'll plug it back in an see if it turns start/stop off agin,surely that shouldn't drain battery to much it's on,y on when I'm driving.ford have said they need to put the battery on trickle charge so will need van over night,they just had it for a day an half last week an did f##k all with it just decided I must bring it in again,

A second battery is also automatically added with several other options including the rear 12v socket so I doubt very much it's only used for stop/start. If it is then I want a refund as I have a 2nd battery but no stop/start.
Mussels
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Sparkeselectrical » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:06 pm

Mussels wrote:

A second battery is also automatically added with several other options including the rear 12v socket so I doubt very much it's only used for stop/start. If it is then I want a refund as I have a 2nd battery but no stop/start.

The stop start option includes a second battery as does other options including the 220volt power inverter
New 170 Limited 290 L1 DCiV
Sparkeselectrical
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Cookie Pjc » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:20 pm

Mussels wrote:

I think someone has said before if you have stop start you have to battery's,if you have it an a 240v in the back or other power you'll get 3 battery's,
Cookie Pjc
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Sparkeselectrical » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:33 am

Pages 92-94 of owners manual
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New 170 Limited 290 L1 DCiV
Sparkeselectrical
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby moley551 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:35 am

One thing that might have an effect on battery charge and stop/start is, I quite often find the passenger heated seat on, obviously somehow its getting switched on as people get in or out or possibly moving the seatbase. I'm tempted to disable the bloody thing.
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mussels » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:41 am

Cookie Pjc wrote:
Mussels wrote:

I think someone has said before if you have stop start you have to battery's,if you have it an a 240v in the back or other power you'll get 3 battery's,

There's only room for two batteries, I have more than one option that requires the second battery but they all run off the same second battery.
Mussels
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Cookie Pjc » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:18 pm

moley551 wrote:One thing that might have an effect on battery charge and stop/start is, I quite often find the passenger heated seat on, obviously somehow its getting switched on as people get in or out or possibly moving the seatbase. I'm tempted to disable the bloody thing.

Mines working again now had the usb unplugged so it's loved it,plugged that back in then start/stop slowly packed in,unplugged usb again, it worked!!!sat in traffic with heated screen button on took it out of gear start/stop didn't work,haha so next time engine stopped from start/stop I pressed heated screen an engine started up I didn't touch the clutch!! I'd rather not have start stop I think it's testing me haha
Cookie Pjc
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby apples26 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:36 pm

It's quite bizzare how something so minimal can have that effect, is the second battery not plumbed in the same as the second battery on a rwd mk7 earlier version etc? I wouldn't want mine working what's point me sitting on the m25 at standstill for on and off with headlights on constantly will drain it in no time
http://WWW.NEEDATOW.CO.UK
-------------------------
apples26
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby moley551 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:13 am

Cookie Pjc wrote:
moley551 wrote:One thing that might have an effect on battery charge and stop/start is, I quite often find the passenger heated seat on, obviously somehow its getting switched on as people get in or out or possibly moving the seatbase. I'm tempted to disable the bloody thing.

Mines working again now had the usb unplugged so it's loved it,plugged that back in then start/stop slowly packed in,unplugged usb again, it worked!!!sat in traffic with heated screen button on took it out of gear start/stop didn't work,haha so next time engine stopped from start/stop I pressed heated screen an engine started up I didn't touch the clutch!! I'd rather not have start stop I think it's testing me haha

It does say in the book that the Heated screen will affect the stop start...at least your van will restart if I open and close the doors too much I have to recharge the battery the new battery is much better than the first one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby send2cristea » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:54 am

Guys, I have a tourneo custom 2.2
I am a taxi driver and I got the same problem with mine. S/S hasn't worked in months now. I went to the dealer yesterday and all they done was to charge my batteries up and now it works fine. There is a problem with all of the Ford's taxis in my town. The technician was trying to tell me that it's because of the short journeys I make. Nonesens. It happens that I do a 150 miles run 3-4 days a week. Still not managing to charge the batteries properly. As a solution, I will try to install a subwoofer 3Far capacitor to help the system save some juice and never bother me again. Hope that helps. Cheers
send2cristea

Postby sezyal » Tue May 16, 2017 11:51 am

send2cristea wrote:Guys, I have a tourneo custom 2.2
I am a taxi driver and I got the same problem with mine. S/S hasn't worked in months now. I went to the dealer yesterday and all they done was to charge my batteries up and now it works fine. There is a problem with all of the Ford's taxis in my town. The technician was trying to tell me that it's because of the short journeys I make. Nonesens. It happens that I do a 150 miles run 3-4 days a week. Still not managing to charge the batteries properly. As a solution, I will try to install a subwoofer 3Far capacitor to help the system save some juice and never bother me again. Hope that helps. Cheers

I can't agree further. Dealer also told me same crap about short journeys. I did several trips, each 500km+ daily and nothing changed. All they do is to charge battery and it last couple of weeks.
If you get a permanent solution with a capacitor, please let me know. I can also add a separate charger unit and keep battery charged but its under warranty and nonsense they cant fix it.
2014 Tourneo Custom 155 SWB Titanium Plus
Stratosphere Blue
+18" Sport Wheels
+HID Kit
sezyal
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby stchris356 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Mine only stops for 6 seconds!

It's not down to use as I do about 1000 miles a week.
Been into Ford, who basically don't know what's wrong with. the only response they'd give me is "we've tested the batteries, that's all we can do, and it's because you use the air conditioning!" ( which is a load of old b#####ks)
I told them I also use the headlights when it's dark, should I stop using them?
I'm trying to find a list of the pre-conditions for the stop/start to operate.
Basically, I'm pretty sure one of the batteries are f####d.
stchris356
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby robin_hackney » Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:05 pm

Ive finally got my Stop/Start working again after 2 years of it not doing. I had changed the batteries 6 months ago and assumed this would resolve the issue but it didnt. My local garage advised they had ran a new battery learn whatever that is.
Anyway... I resolved the issue by resetting the Stop/Start system. To do this:
*Start the engine and wait 10s
*Press the fog light switch 5 times
*Press the hazard light button 3 times

I hope this helps someone else. Also: a little trick to get the smart alternator to kick in is to set lights to the 'on' position instead of 'automatic'.
robin_hackney

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom