*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Stop start stopped working!!

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Stop start stopped working!!

Postby peninsulalawncare » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:05 pm

As the tittle suggests the stop start on my custom 125 has stopped working, I've been back to the dealers and they checked both the batteries and said they were both low. I had kind of worked that out myself due to me using the twin battery allot when i'm parked up on jobs (Radio, cool box, charging phone, not all at once most of the time).

Anyway, my point is that I specifically wanted the twin battery so I could use it for these things and have the start stop, it seems pretty poor that the batterys are not getting enough charge to keep the start start system working?, what are your guys views/experiences with this?, cheers all.
peninsulalawncare
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Stop start stopped working!!

Postby yasser » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:14 pm

When you get stop/start as an option you will automatically get a second battery. This second battery is for the stop start function, always ensuring you have power to restart. This second battery is not a leisure battery. If you wanted to run electrical goods you should have had the option for an additional battery (2nd for normal or 3rd for stop/start). As you have two batteries it is very easy to put in a leisure battery for your needs.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:23 pm

Does it ever get a decent run, or is it all just short trips?
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby andypdq » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:40 pm

Can you easily turn it off? What happens if your starter goes dodgy and you want to get home?
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby peninsulalawncare » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:12 pm

Ahhhh, I see well I was certainly sold it believing the twin battery would do the job I required, but then I seemed to no more about the van than the guy selling it after only reading the brochure!.

Ye I do do quite a few short journeys, I no that's rubbish for recharging.
peninsulalawncare
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:58 am

peninsulalawncare wrote:Ahhhh, I see well I was certainly sold it believing the twin battery would do the job I required, but then I seemed to no more about the van than the guy selling it after only reading the brochure!.

Ye I do do quite a few short journeys, I no that's rubbish for recharging.

That's probably the problem, the system disengages start stop automatically if the batteries are low, and re engages when the battery voltage comes back up
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Stusgsx » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:37 pm

my start stop hasn't worked for a week or so now my journeys are normally half hour or so and don't really use the power output socket. Got stuck in traffic on motorway the other night for 3 hours when I really could of done with the start stop working :roll:
Stusgsx
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sezyal » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:47 pm

I wonder if you had any fixes for start-stop?

My 155 Tourneo doesn't use start stop now. Dealer first checked it and installed a thick cable for secondary battery negative terminal. That didn't change much. Then they checked again and told me some random stuff like door is not closed or my led interior lights may be the problem. They left it running there for hours and charged battery overnight and they start stop worked for a few days. Now back to not working.

I usually do short 5-10km trips but even if I do 80km+ and 2h+ with traffic, start stop still doesn't work. I started to believe there are some issues with charging/battery system.
Are we required to make 300kms and 5h+ daily run to keep start/stop running? That doesn't make sense to me.
2014 Tourneo Custom 155 SWB Titanium Plus
Stratosphere Blue
+18" Sport Wheels
+HID Kit
sezyal
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Treespotter » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:54 pm

Outside temperature could be too low? The batteries can get to cold during the night so the output of the battery is below the threshold for the start/stop to engage? Too much electrical equipment working. For instance continuous driving in the dark?
Does Ford use the dynamo only regenerative like most modern start/stop cars? If so, slow down on the engine in stead of the brakes. This will top up the batteries again.
Treespotter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby yasser » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:02 pm

My stop start usually stops working when it gets to +2 degrees. It should also stop working when it gets to hot but I haven't got there yet!
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mussels » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:28 am

Stop/start stops working when the 2nd battery is low. Sounds like the split relay charging isn't working or you use more electricity than the alternator can put back.
If it was the latter I'd expect stop start to work intermittently as the battery charges above the threshold, due to that I suspect it's not charging at all.
Something else draining the 2nd battery too fast could be the culprit, a few different options depend on it.
Mussels
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sezyal » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:39 am

It's been around 0 degrees now. If you have it not working below +2, then that may be one of the reasons.

I don't drain much power while I am driving. There is just phone charger. Even if it's drained too low for some reason, 2h+ driving should back it up I guess?
But if they put strict rules based on 0 or +2 outside temperature, I understand that. I just want to make sure it's functioning as designed.
2014 Tourneo Custom 155 SWB Titanium Plus
Stratosphere Blue
+18" Sport Wheels
+HID Kit
sezyal
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby windrew » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:49 am

It would seem fords stop start systems are a bit poor in comparison to over manufactures, I've got a new connect with the same issues, it's our company's policy to have trackers and dash cameras and with both of these connected it draws too much in the way of milliamps and stops it from working altogether, we also use seat Ibiza's, Leon's and miis all which have the same equipment and you can leave them stood for weeks without use start them up and get to the end of the road and it kicks in not a problem, ford could never find a solution for us so only the tracker can now be connected and it takes the van a good trip to work on Monday before it will kick in after the weekend has passed.
windrew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby keeff » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:09 am

I haven't got stop start on the custom but are minis had it and if you have the heater fan turned up and set on warm it will not stop as the heat will soon start blowing cold.
The minis would stop working at +4 deg
keeff
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tran59 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:46 am

I don't know if this is possible on the Custom, but on VWs you can tweak when StopStart works by adjusting the minimum voltage required.

I will be using this trick to permanently disable it on my Polo (i.e. by setting the voltage impossibly high), as I find S&S intensely annoying.
The best mods are the ones you don't see
Tran59
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Transit Custom