*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Shorter aerial fitted

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Shorter aerial fitted

Postby Custom155 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Thanks again guys, will order one for our Tourneo.

Cheers, James.
Custom155
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby stehanson » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:38 pm

TallPaul wrote:
ravin beef wrote:For those that want one..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Short-Stubby- ... 3ce8c0d196

I fitted one of these yesterday and no noticeable difference in radio reception!

The listing does state it's not suitable for DAB but someone with DAB has no issues so Ill get one and see how it fares, as ive already trapped the whip in a ladder as I ran it on!
stehanson
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby SSC! » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:32 pm

I was about to buy one but it mentioned not suitable if you have a sat nav unit. Have anyone fitted one and it's been ok?

Cheers

Avril
Don't follow me, I'm crazy........ and lost!!!
SSC!
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Sparkeselectrical » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:50 pm

SSC! wrote:I was about to buy one but it mentioned not suitable if you have a sat nav unit. Have anyone fitted one and it's been ok?

Cheers

Avril

The GPS aeries is separate from the audio aerial on the custom so it should be ok
New 170 Limited 290 L1 DCiV
Sparkeselectrical
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ravin beef » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:42 pm

I've got DAB & Sat Nav and it works perfect. 8)
ravin beef
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby SSC! » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:15 am

Cheers guys. Added to my shopping list lol.
Don't follow me, I'm crazy........ and lost!!!
SSC!
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Shorter aerial fitted

Postby seikokid » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:58 am

do you have a part number for the VW Aerial please ? is the polo up dab?
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seikokid » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:49 pm

Tran59 wrote:My stock roof aerial kept on clanging against various height-restriction barriers, so I swapped it for a stubby rubber one about half the height.

Having had bad experiences in the past with cheapo aerials bought on eBay which turned out to be just a piece of plastic with no metal inside at all, I borrowed the stubby from my VW Up. It fitted perfectly and reception was identical to the Ford 'whip', so I bought another from my VW dealer (£20).

No more clanging :)

Sorry for the crappy photo. It was taken through a window with my iPhone on full 'zoom', as it was chucking it down outside.

Finally got round to buying one from VW ( you need the pre 2013 version ) - driving from Watford to Uxbridge around the m25 then to Swindon I got constant drops in radio signal on absolute, radio 6 and radio 4 extra

Imo it doesn't work
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Acecard » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:56 am

Hello, first post on this forum for me.

I've finally traded my 12 year old VW T5 in for a shiny new Transit Custom 290, 130ps, a few weeks ago and so far so good. :roll:

One small issue I had was the length of the aerial in underground carparks.
I have DAB and Sat nav so found this post looking for a solution.

After a bit of research this is my findings.
After asking the service department at the local dealership, they took me over to the parts department and on their advice I ordered a genuine Ford replacement aerial for I think a Focus ST, part-id FOR 2002542 for £11.08

Once item arrived the parts guy checked the thread was the same as the original.
Swapped aerials over and I'm amazed with the now flawless reception, I was getting a patchy signal beforehand but now it doesn't drop at all :D (I'm in the southeast of the uk)

I don't use the sat nav on a daily basis but I can confirm it works as before.

Not sure why they don't use this stubby version as the oem aerial as it looks better.
Clearance...It sticks about 70mm above my factory roof bars and takes the van height clearance from 2020mm (ground to top of folded down roof bars) to 2090mm so pretty good.

Hope this helps somebody.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Acecard

Postby S60r » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:11 am

I might try that thanks for posting.....

I’ll try it for the signal improvement as I’m not impressed with the large floppy one. Although most car parks are 2 mts around here so it makes no sense to change it for car parks as the longer one will flex under the barrier this one will just break off.

My van has the folded roof bars and gets under the 2 meter barrier, I thought that was what the folding rack was designed to do? Is yours defo 2020? I’ll have to recheck mine!
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby a11y » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Just to add that I fitted the same stubby aerial posted earlier in this thread by 'ravin beef', and can confirm it works perfectly - and that includes DAB too.

This one:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261602988438? ... rmvSB=true

Happy I can now get the van inside my garage (no aerial in this pic as I'd taken the stock one off while awaiting the stubby arriving):

2017 Transit Custom DCIV 290 L2 130ps | Also a recovering VWT5-aholic...
a11y
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dunf » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Does anyone want a new VW UP aerial? Brand new. Bought today. Unfortunately I don’t have an UP, and turns out it doesn’t fit my 125 Custom Limited either. :roll:

So, just so you’re all aware. I’m now assuming not all UP aerials are the same, and at least one kind doesn’t fit the custom.
dunf
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dan_robinson » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:37 am

I got one the other day, and it's not as good as the oem one. Driving around Laaaandan, I get all sorts of weird DAB issues ranging from jumps in the audio buffer and volume changes for no apparent reason. Also have now station searching than I did with the oem one. L

Not so dramatic that I will change back just yet.... But
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanvliet » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:07 pm

I just stripped out the roof lining on my Transit Kombi high top to find that there is no arial cable attached to the roof antenna ! It is a factory DAB radio so Ford must have some other system for picking up DAB - possibly in the rear side windows as there is an odd wee box attached to the window demister elements. I might just remove the roof antenna altogether ?
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Hans Wynants » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:11 pm

DAB does not work via the antenna... it is digital i believe .
Hans Wynants
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom