*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Handbrake and/or Hill Assist Failure????

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Handbrake and/or Hill Assist Failure????

Postby ake » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:53 am

Softlips wrote:
ake wrote:
Marcob wrote:Any vehicle should always be in 1st gear or reverse when it's parked. The steering should always be turned appropriately as well.

Unfortunately people aren't taught this any more :(

They are if my wife teaches them.

Good show :)
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Handymandan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:39 pm

This has just happened to me! Smashed into a lamp post!! What was the outcome with ford??
Handymandan

Postby Custom limited » Fri May 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Did anyone have any joy contacting Ford with regard to handbrake failure.???

My 3 month old 66 reg custom was parked on a hill outside my parents house yesterday evening for approximately 45 mins..... it then decided to make a break for freedom. It rolled backwards for approximately 70/80 metres, hit a parked car & came to rest in a hedge overhanging a wall.
First thing we did was check handbrake......... it was on firmly!!!!!!
I've spent over 10 years parking numerous makes & models of vehicles on my parents street prior to flying nest about 7/8 years ago. Never ever had any issues.
I'd just like to know if anyone else has experienced hand brake failures with customs..... if you have I'd encourage people to post on here & see if we can get Ford admit there may be a possible fault.
Thankfully nobody was injured or anything.

Cheers
Custom limited

Postby dan_robinson » Mon May 08, 2017 3:16 pm

It says how to park on a hill in the owner's guide, so I'd guess Ford have a getabako out there.

Probably a poorly adjusted handbrake.
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Mon May 08, 2017 4:16 pm

ake wrote:
Marcob wrote:Any vehicle should always be in 1st gear or reverse when it's parked. The steering should always be turned appropriately as well.

Unfortunately people aren't taught this any more :(

I would never trust a hand brake alone on a heavy van, especially with rear discs :(
On any slight slope, I will always park with the front tyre turned/jammed into the kerb to stop the van rolling, and in first or reverse, to make doubly sure that it won't roll, even with no hand brake applied :)

The hand brake cable broke on one of my old vans, (years ago before VOSA were invented), the cable wasn't readily available and I couldn't do without the van, so I got quite good at parking it up, as above with no brake, until the new cable was fitted :oops: :P
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Marcob » Tue May 09, 2017 8:01 pm

When Autoglass came out to fit my new windscreen the guy told me it had happened to 2 of theirs.
Black 290 L2H1 125 PS Limited
The Ford Transit Custom - saving the environment by not actually going anywhere.
Zero emissions for 4 months and counting.....
Marcob
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby lewis1989 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Custom limited wrote:Did anyone have any joy contacting Ford with regard to handbrake failure.???

My 3 month old 66 reg custom was parked on a hill outside my parents house yesterday evening for approximately 45 mins..... it then decided to make a break for freedom. It rolled backwards for approximately 70/80 metres, hit a parked car & came to rest in a hedge overhanging a wall.
First thing we did was check handbrake......... it was on firmly!!!!!!
I've spent over 10 years parking numerous makes & models of vehicles on my parents street prior to flying nest about 7/8 years ago. Never ever had any issues.
I'd just like to know if anyone else has experienced hand brake failures with customs..... if you have I'd encourage people to post on here & see if we can get Ford admit there may be a possible fault.
Thankfully nobody was injured or anything.

Cheers

Hello there sorry to hear about this but the same thing has happened to me yesterday to my 3 week old 18 reg. luckily no one was hurt but to think I take my dog to work everyday my dog could have been in there or there could of been a child in the way ford in leeds ringways tried saying they’ve never heard of this happening. Iv said with the van only been 3 weeks old and I have paid for it out right I don’t not want the van anymore I can not trust it if I forget to put it in 1st and there £500 plus worth of damage on it fords fault. I’m thinking of taking this to court or watch dog to bring this to everyone’s attention. So anyone else that has had this happen and it’s fallen on deaf ears please get in touch with me and let’s be heard many thanks lewis
lewis1989

Postby lewis1989 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:15 pm

Hello just walked back to my 3 week old 18 plate transit custom to find the handbrake on but some how it had moved a metre forwards into a stone bolder. I contacted ford ringways in Leeds and they say they’ve never heard of this happening but said they’d check it over. So I asked if it comes back as fine would they take responsibility if it happens again and kills a child if not I don’t not want the van back. The van only has 1200 miles on the clock it’s a top spec model but who would want a van that you can’t trust without been in 1st and has £500 plus worth of damage to the front passenger side. If anyone else has had this happen please contact me as I’m not letting this go willing to go to court and watchdog to bottom this issue. Many thanks lewis 07711379208
lewis1989

Postby gaz.brown.mps » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:31 pm

Picked up my Transit 2 months ago with only 8 miles on the clock, yesterday evening, with only 628 miles on the clock I had parked outside a friend's garage where I have parked many times before in my old transit with no problem. There is a slight slope but nothing to be concerned about. Parked up, put the handbrake on fully and went in for a chat and a cuppa. Been there over half an hour when the transit decides to reverse itself into the garage at slow speed, but enough to bend his ramps an render them unusable, and bending the tow step I had just had fitted (luckily one of us wasn't standing in the way (I dread to think what would have happened). When I got in the handbrake was still on fully. I would like to point out to all these holier than thou, should have put it in gear types that if that were necessary on a brand new van there should be a warning sticker in these vehicles that the handbrake is merely an ornament. Not only that but my daughter has just passed her test and at no point was she advised to leave the car in gear with the handbrake on. I am more than happy to join forces with anyone who wants to take this further. This issue is a potential killer

Cheers
Gary 07711 490412

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
gaz.brown.mps

Postby Dadoi » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi guys,
Well, you know the way that this has never happened before…….it happened to me. Parked on a slight hill to get a coffee. Forty minutes later I returned to the van to find a trail of destruction and one distraught older lady. The van was parked at a slight angle so after the handbrake failure it rolled back taking out her nearside bumper, wing, lights and bonnet. It continued onto the pavement and stopped by a stone wall pedestrian entrance to a house. This WILL kill someone soon!
Thank you Ford (irony).
Dadoi

Postby Marcob » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:03 am

It won't kill anybody if you leave it in gear with the front wheels pointed towards the kerb.
Black 290 L2H1 125 PS Limited
The Ford Transit Custom - saving the environment by not actually going anywhere.
Zero emissions for 4 months and counting.....
Marcob
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:04 am

On bbc watchdog a few years ago think it was a Renault car doing the same thing Renault and it’s dealerships saying never heard of it and was blaming the drives not sure on the outcome but it maybe worth all of the effected members on hear getting on to watchdog they may be able to help
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby p2thed » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:23 pm

Sounds like a faulty brake servo
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Nederbelg » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:23 pm

Hand brake has nothing to do with Brake servo......

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby p2thed » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:35 pm

Nederbelg wrote:Hand brake has nothing to do with Brake servo......

Gr Nederbelg

Yes i know that but heres my thinking. If the servo is faulty and they are on some models as there is a recall out for them, then this could hold the brakes on ever so slightly causing them to overheat with the drag and once the handbrake is applied ut would not take long fornthe discs to cool andcause the van to roll. The warning hill start message on the dash with the (i) would lead me ti believe that the servo itself is at fault as the abs moduke is seeing drag on the brakes/ wheel speed.
Just my thoughts :!:
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom