*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Advice on carpeting the rear...

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Advice on carpeting the rear...

Postby yasser » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:05 am

Ktm300excjohn wrote:This looks excellent yasser who done it mate ?

Trade windscreens in Carlisle. 01228 810018
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby stehanson » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:46 pm

RussC73 wrote:When i took delivery of my van i had the rear professionally ply lined, i am thinking about buying a kit off ebay (about £170) and first apply the foil/bubble insulation to the factory ply lining behind and then the carpet on the newly fitted ply lining.
Some people have advised not to pack out the areas behind the ply lining with loft insulation as it can hold moisture which can lead to corrosion.

Just my idea... if anyone else has any ideas?

Never use anytype of loft insulation or wool, as it drawers moisture and holds it, Kingspan boards (or Celotex) are best bet

bigbrush wrote:Hi,
Just done my high roof one, used kingspan on roof then cut plywood panels done in 3 sections, sides put wool insulation behind panels only loosely and then cut panels and stuck double foil to back and carpet to front folded over edges and screwed in place. and double bubble foil under plastic floor lining, i use it as work day van will take some pics tomz.

Thats what I did on my previous Transit connetct, then I used Thermoliner van insulation on the roof .... never had a drop of moisture after!

HandySparks wrote:I insulated and ply lined the roof of my Custom because my previous Transit dripped condensation in the winter:

IMG_9938 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9939 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9940 - Copy.JPG

The insulation is Thinsulate from 3M. The double sided sticky is just there to hold it up while I fitted the ply. Also stuffed some in the side panels and doors.

http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/sound-insulat ... 24m-1.html

Easy to work with, cuts with a pair of scissors, and not itchy.

Interesting to read of this product as last time I used thermoliner after reading many posts about it on vw sites which given all the ribs on a connect roof was a nightmare to apply, should be easier on the new custom though as it's fairly flat on the roof areas, but yours would be easier still

Do you think you needed to ply over it or could you leave is as the finished roof??
stehanson
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby HandySparks » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:21 pm

stehanson wrote:
HandySparks wrote:I insulated and ply lined the roof of my Custom because my previous Transit dripped condensation in the winter:
The insulation is Thinsulate from 3M. The double sided sticky is just there to hold it up while I fitted the ply. Also stuffed some in the side panels and doors.

http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/sound-insulat ... 24m-1.html

Easy to work with, cuts with a pair of scissors, and not itchy.

Interesting to read of this product as last time I used thermoliner after reading many posts about it on vw sites which given all the ribs on a connect roof was a nightmare to apply, should be easier on the new custom though as it's fairly flat on the roof areas, but yours would be easier still

Do you think you needed to ply over it or could you leave is as the finished roof??

The 3M Thinsulate is about 1" thick, very lightweight and fluffy. You might get away without covering it if you used adhesive over the whole area to stick it to the panel, but I think it would soon start to look tatty. The bits of double sided tape I used were just to hold it in place while fitting the ply lining.

I also used it on the sides. Stuck in a single layer in some places and pushed in loosly where there was a bigger cavity to fill. It's easy to push into hard-to-reach places.

Here's a current link:
http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/3m-thinsulate ... 1524m.html

Unexpectedly, it's delivered in 1m x 1.5m pieces, irrespective of the quantity ordered. Doesn't really matter for this application though.
Transit Custom L1H1 Limited 155 DIB

Electrician in Liphook http://www.neish.co.uk
HandySparks
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ravin beef » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:19 pm

That 3m stuff looks the business!

Does it cut out a noticeable amount of road noise too?
ravin beef
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby HandySparks » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:27 am

ravin beef wrote:That 3m stuff looks the business!

A bit hard to tell, as I have a full bulkhead and I've only used it around the loadspace.

It certainly makes the panels 'deader' if stuffed in snugly, so probably.
Transit Custom L1H1 Limited 155 DIB

Electrician in Liphook http://www.neish.co.uk
HandySparks
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby stehanson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:26 pm

bigbrush wrote:Here are the pics of my custom before, during & after insulating, ply lining & carpeting. Not completely finished, but you get the jist..... Hope it gives you an idea of the finished result :D

Looks good - have you any pics of the racking you can see a bit of in the pics -im after ideas atm :)
stehanson
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JethroFlint » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:01 am

ravin beef wrote:

Another vote for thermoliner. I obtained it here (along with carpet etc.) http://www.harrisonstrimsupplies.co.uk/ ... 3174-p.asp

My bulkhead is removed so I put a lot of effort into making sure noise was reduced. I used butyl tape on the floor/wheel arches (plus a resin coated ply floor as I need it to be waterproof) then put thermoliner on walls and roof. All is finished off with carpet. Everything was done to help with noise and heat. Noise isn't an issue and I will see how well heat insulated it is come this winter. The thermoliner was very easy to apply.

I needed additional adhesive on the roof (as the thermoliner was also holding board and carpet). But otherwise it has all been fine... so far!

I have to say I am impressed with the finish that big brush has achieved.
125 270 Limited
JethroFlint
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Sam_in_cornwall » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:07 pm

Hi can anyone point me in the direction of the company who did the carpet lining , lights etc for Yasser?
Sam_in_cornwall

Postby carpymarky1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:35 pm

yasser wrote:Image

Unless you are good at it I found it easier to pay to get it done. Get it done professionally, you'll get a better finish. Don't forget, these boys are usually doing all day long. This cost me £500. Ply lined, Insulated and LED lights. It would have cost about £150-£200 for materials if I had done it my self plus the time. This way I dropped the van off for the day, picked it up and it was done.
Hi could you tell me who did your van as I need to get my van done and that's a cracking job?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
carpymarky1

Postby vanvliet » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Trade windscreens in Carlisle are no longer taking on carpeting jobs
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Transit Custom