*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Advice on carpeting the rear...

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Advice on carpeting the rear...

Postby RussC73 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:37 pm

I would like to insulate and carpet the rear of my LWB van, has anyone had any experience on this matter on here and if so please could you offer advice regarding where to buy the kits or whether to have the work carried out by a pro.
Also my van has never had a headlining in the rear so is it possible to purchase the hardboard pieces to fit to the roof, if so.. whats the price?

Cheers

Russ
RussC73
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Advice on carpeting the rear...

Postby se7en » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:13 am

I carpet covered the MDF Panels that ford fit as standard, and I put insulation behind them before I refitted them, this made a difference to the noise and drumming,also, I made a headlining and a wooden floor and trimmed those , I bought all the carpet and head lining materials from a supplier on ebay, this is simple to do and the van is still a practical van to use, if any of the trim gets damaged , it can be replaced very easily , if the van has lining glued to it, its a nightmare to remove and replace, this is just my view for my van, others may think differently.
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RussC73 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:04 am

When i took delivery of my van i had the rear professionally ply lined, i am thinking about buying a kit off ebay (about £170) and first apply the foil/bubble insulation to the factory ply lining behind and then the carpet on the newly fitted ply lining.
Some people have advised not to pack out the areas behind the ply lining with loft insulation as it can hold moisture which can lead to corrosion.

Just my idea... if anyone else has any ideas?
RussC73
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigbrush » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi,
Just done my high roof one, used kingspan on roof then cut plywood panels done in 3 sections, sides put wool insulation behind panels only loosely and then cut panels and stuck double foil to back and carpet to front folded over edges and screwed in place. and double bubble foil under plastic floor lining, i use it as work day van will take some pics tomz.
bigbrush
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby RussC73 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi Big brush

Would really like to see what you have done, the key to good insulation is including the roof so i am looking at definitely ply lining this using the same thin ply as used on the sides and rear tailgate.
I opted not to have the wheel arches and floor done as the much hated plastic floor liner serves me well keeping liquid spillages contained.

Cheers

Russ
RussC73
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby belly » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:48 pm

The VW forums have a wealth of info about camper conversions so well worth looking on there guys :wink:

They generally use the recycled plastic bottle insulation as it breaths and doesn't hold moisture :wink: The flexible carpet is called Veltrim :wink:
2013 VW Transporter swb T5.1GP T28 140ps Highline with extra toys.
belly
Kaiser Chief

Postby HandySparks » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:34 pm

I insulated and ply lined the roof of my Custom because my previous Transit dripped condensation in the winter:

IMG_9938 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9939 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9940 - Copy.JPG

The insulation is Thinsulate from 3M. The double sided sticky is just there to hold it up while I fitted the ply. Also stuffed some in the side panels and doors.

http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/sound-insulat ... 24m-1.html

Easy to work with, cuts with a pair of scissors, and not itchy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transit Custom L1H1 Limited 155 DIB

Electrician in Liphook http://www.neish.co.uk
HandySparks
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigbrush » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi

Yes i hate the slippyness of the plastic floor but it great like you say for spilages etc, and you wont belive how heavy it is either, will get pics up tomz i got more storage to build but you can see all the lining etc, i also put in 240 hook up and leisure battery,
bigbrush
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby se7en » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:38 pm

Re the slippy floor, I have a double cab,in which I removed the bulkhead,and fitted Tourneo folding seats, they have a rubber covered wooden floor in the cargo area, I have carpeted over it but I got hold of a genuine ford plastic liner, (£9.99p..!! on ebay ) and cut it about, now I can put the liner in if I'm carrying anything mucky, remove it and I have a carpeted interior for when I'm not,I cut it two so that i can fit a piece in the cargo area, and fit the other piece if I remove the rear seats,by cutting it in half it also makes it a lot easier to handle and store, I'll try to post some photos in the next couple of days.
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Marcob » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:35 am

bigbrush wrote:Hi,
Just done my high roof one, used kingspan on roof then cut plywood panels done in 3 sections, sides put wool insulation behind panels only loosely and then cut panels and stuck double foil to back and carpet to front folded over edges and screwed in place. and double bubble foil under plastic floor lining, i use it as work day van will take some pics tomz.

Keep an eye on that wool mate. If there is a condensation issue it holds water like a sponge.
Black 290 L2H1 125 PS Limited
The Ford Transit Custom - saving the environment by not actually going anywhere.
Zero emissions for 4 months and counting.....
Marcob
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RussC73 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:44 am

I hear the plastic based insulation is used because it's less likely to hold moisture, B&Q sell it but you don't get much for £18 a roll
RussC73
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigbrush » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi, just been looking what insulation i got its LIGHT WEIGHT DACRON POLY , not wool thank god if it holds water like a sponge
bigbrush
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigbrush » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:17 pm

Here are the pics of my custom before, during & after insulating, ply lining & carpeting. Not completely finished, but you get the jist..... Hope it gives you an idea of the finished result :D

bigbrush
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby yasser » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:51 am

Unless you are good at it I found it easier to pay to get it done. Get it done professionally, you'll get a better finish. Don't forget, these boys are usually doing all day long. This cost me £500. Ply lined, Insulated and LED lights. It would have cost about £150-£200 for materials if I had done it my self plus the time. This way I dropped the van off for the day, picked it up and it was done.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigbrush » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:51 am

thats a cracking job yasser, i decided not to do all the metal area,s on mine because is mainly a work van and would get wrecked in no time, where did you get floor mats from thats just what i am looking for.
bigbrush
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Custom