*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Retro fitting - Ford Folding Roof Rack

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Retro fitting - Ford Folding Roof Rack

Postby Tiny555 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:04 pm

Quick question ..

Has anyone fitted the Ford folding roof rack ?

Reason that i ask is my mate has just got a new custom & this come with the roof rack but its no good for him as he's a plumber & with his pipe holders fitted it doesn't allow it to fold down so he's upgraded to a fixed Rhino system & say's for a cheap drink i can have the roof rack :)

I have a double cab & was wondering if the roof rack bolts through the roof or just into a captive nut as i'd prefer not to be removing the roof lining in the rear cab part of the van to enbable the installation unless i really have to

Is anyone able to shed any light please

Thanks for reading & any input in advance
Tiny555

Re: Retro fitting - Ford Folding Roof Rack

Postby BRAVO9992 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:25 pm

there are captive nuts in the roof so no need to remove roof lining.

What very important is dont mix up the parts, and mark all the units with their position. they are not interchangeable, ie, rear, middle and front bars need to be fitted in the same position.

There is also a special way to fit the brackets so that the bars dont rattle, but i cant remember how to do it as it was so long ago. either you have to fit with the bars locked upright or fit with bars locked down, but if you dont do it the right way you will hear the bars rattling and it will wear out.

But firstly as i said as you take each section down remember to masking tape it with its position written on and tape brackets to each end or write on them.
BROWNWIRE ELECTRICAL
290,155,L1,MidnightSky,Limited
BRAVO9992
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tiny01 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:38 pm

Thanks bravo that's just what I wanted to hear mate , main concern was the roof lining but that's not an issue now , we plan to park both vans side by side & remove & refit so muddling things up shouldn't be a problem either !

Lol can't be that easy can it ....?

Thanks mate
Tiny01
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tiny01 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:26 pm

All fitted today , no fuss no dramas , ingenious idea I must say well done ford :)

Just need some end bars to make them 110% !!
Tiny01
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Treespotter » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:48 pm

Too bad Ford shows those in their brochure. But neither Ford nor Thule can supply those.
Treespotter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby keeff » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:28 pm

I have fitted my old rhino end stops . I have posted photos in another topic but the are easy to adjust you only need a hack saw and a 6 mm drill. The bars are very hard but do drill but if drilling on the van make sure you cover the paint work or clean the roof well when finished.
If I can find the photos I will post
keeff
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Olijg1986 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:50 am

Tiny01 wrote:Thanks bravo that's just what I wanted to hear mate , main concern was the roof lining but that's not an issue now , we plan to park both vans side by side & remove & refit so muddling things up shouldn't be a problem either !

Lol can't be that easy can it ....?

Thanks mate

Hi, just bought a folding roof rack and wondered if you fixed them to your van in the upright position or in the down position? As the previous comment mentioned to stop the rattle.

Thanks

Oli.
Olijg1986

Return to Transit Custom