*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Second Battery in Ford Transit Custom

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Second Battery in Ford Transit Custom

Postby bd271082 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi Guys after a bit of help. I have a 2013 Custom Limited LWB and ive just change the battery for something a little bit more beefier and noticed some extra connections for possible a second battery? and if I can take some loading off the main battery and put it onto the secondary battery I think would help

Has anyone fitted a second battery under the drivers seat? if you have did you need any extra parts (part numbers would be greatly appreciated)

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bd271082

Re: Second Battery in Ford Transit Custom

Postby ake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:50 pm

Yes you can, you need the parts listed below, and it needs configured using ford ids
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby bd271082 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:10 pm

Thanks for the info,

Hopefully order the parts up tomorrow and hopefully get them next week and go from there.
bd271082

Postby ake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Make sure you are seated when enquiring about the price :shock: :wink:
ake
Site Moderator

Postby moley551 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:02 pm

I was going to ask the same question myself, the cold nights are really putting a strain on my single battery, I have needed a jump start twice now after working with the side door open for a short time. Ford say it's my fault for trying to use a van for work!
Does anyone know if the Ford fitted second battery isolates the two batteries to preserve the start battery when parked so as the radio and various services do not drain it. I have a lesiure battery fitted in the back powering a Synergex 1500 watt pure sine inverter that is connected via a smart relay to the aux connection on the seat, this battery draws no power when parked but the internal lights (not Led) and other things will kill the battery very quickly.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby se7en » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:49 pm

I'm a Marine engineer, we are asked to fit extra batteries in boats a lot . the smart relay we always use is the " Victron Cyrix 12/24 battery combiner" imported by a company called Barden, this little unit is one of the best on the market and really simple and reliable in use,it will keep both batteries isolated from each other, however, one little trick it does is that it will connect both together if required for 30 seconds if required for boost starting,I have fitted one to my van ,its got me out of trouble a few times, if you Google in "victron cyrix" and click onto the fitting instuctions it will show a diagram and explain the set up, just thought this may help.
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby se7en » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:14 am

http://www.barden-ukshop.com/victron-cy ... 2750-p.asp This is the link to the smart relay, click onto the data sheet and it will show you all youi need to know, I used the 120A model.
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby moley551 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:12 am

Thanks for the link, I had a battery isolator connected between the relay contacts on my last van for emergency use to link the batteries, but with this one only linked via the 60amp aux connection I left it off. I'm thinking of running a big cable up to the jump start terminal under the bonnet with an isolator for back up starting. There seems to be warranty issues if you connect direct to the battery.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby yasser » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:01 am

se7en wrote:I'm a Marine engineer, we are asked to fit extra batteries in boats a lot . the smart relay we always use is the " Victron Cyrix 12/24 battery combiner" imported by a company called Barden, this little unit is one of the best on the market and really simple and reliable in use,it will keep both batteries isolated from each other, however, one little trick it does is that it will connect both together if required for 30 seconds if required for boost starting,I have fitted one to my van ,its got me out of trouble a few times, if you Google in "victron cyrix" and click onto the fitting instuctions it will show a diagram and explain the set up, just thought this may help.

This is a good idea are there are various isolating switches that allow you to opt for battery1,Battery2 or both if needed but if you are going down the route of leisure battery to be able utilised as a starter if needed, please make sure you use the correct cable. Most leisure batteries are fitted with a cable for charging only and although it perfectly acceptable to use smaller cable for this purpose it could possible melt if using to boost or start a dead vehicle.

Now I'm not suggesting that se7en would do this and as an engineer he would know the pitfalls and has probably seen some horrendous DIY wiring about especially on boats but if you've got an after market leisure battery fitted (or getting fitted) make sure its wired to your requirements. If you are not sure ask.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby se7en » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:27 am

I agree with Yasser, what ever system you fit always use the correct size cable and fittings to suit, if you are not sure, do some "home work" and find out what is "SAFE" , think about the instillation and the routing of the cables, and if your not sure, ask someone who is, or don't attempt it..!!
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:29 am

The safest way is to use the parts that Ake listed, a relay is included to avoid draining the second battery.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby ake » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:46 pm

moley551 wrote:I was going to ask the same question myself, the cold nights are really putting a strain on my single battery, I have needed a jump start twice now after working with the side door open for a short time. Ford say it's my fault for trying to use a van for work!
Does anyone know if the Ford fitted second battery isolates the two batteries to preserve the start battery when parked so as the radio and various services do not drain it. I have a lesiure battery fitted in the back powering a Synergex 1500 watt pure sine inverter that is connected via a smart relay to the aux connection on the seat, this battery draws no power when parked but the internal lights (not Led) and other things will kill the battery very quickly.

Yes, the Ford setup isolates the start battery.
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Mussels » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:07 pm

I've got a factory fitted dual battery, how does that work with a charger?
Will it charge both with the split charge relay or do I need to connect directly to each battery in turn? Can I use the jump start position under the bonnet?
Mussels
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby yasser » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:23 pm

Mussels wrote:I've got a factory fitted dual battery, how does that work with a charger?
Will it charge both with the split charge relay or do I need to connect directly to each battery in turn? Can I use the jump start position under the bonnet?

Why have you got dual batteries? Is it becuase you have Stop/start or did you request it as an option?

If you have stop/start the two batteries are needed to make sure you always have cranking power when you stop. If you use your lights and power when on site or in a leisure capacity this will come from the second battery only and leaving the first for cranking only. The problem with this is that the second battery will always be charging and the stop/start function will stop until everything is fully charged again. Ok if you are doing long runs but not for short. If you are going to need power whilst on site or for leisure I would advise a third battery.

If you have opted for the second battery just for power and you haven't got stop start this will act like a leisure battery. Whilst using lights and power on site it will only drain second battery and not affect you cranking battery. When the engine is running both batteries will be charged as required.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mussels » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:36 pm

I don't have the stop start, the second battery is also a perquisite of a few other options. The split charge always charges the main battery first and moves on to the second battery and I've found before in winter electric heaters and lights mean there is a net loss sometimes and I'd like to charge up the second battery at home. This may be what prevents my heated screen from coming on sometimes.
I could only get to the negative terminal under the seat so I've connected the charger to the jump start point under the bonnet and it seems to be working. I don't know however if it's only charging one battery or how to check the voltage in either battery independently.
Mussels
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Transit Custom