*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Conversion DCIV to second row Tourney seats

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Conversion DCIV to second row Tourney seats

Postby se7en » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:56 pm

You will have to make a floor up in 10mm MDF or ply and use spacer block to bring it up to the seat mounting plate height, with regard to reinforcing the floor, I can't comment, some vans have the fixings in the floor , and some do not, however, whatever you do, you must remember that in an emergency all the energy from the seat belts go through the seat to the floor, so the mounting bolts must be of a suitable quality and plates must spread the load, the wooden floor is spaced off the steel floor because in some Tourneo's there is ducting between the floors for air con / heat.There is no extra reinforcement between the steel floor and the wooden floor, the extra reinforcement is on the underside of the steel floor where the fixings go, the fuel tank has to be dropped down to get to some of the fixing points.
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Bobbo1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:36 am

Se7en

Thanks for the reply very helpful mate, my van is only four months old so obviously i am weighing up the warranty Vs the cash outlay for a Tourneo, its still a lot cheaper to convert my van into something that works for my business & my leisure activities i have had a look under the van & for the configuration of seating i want i don't think i am going to have to drop the tank, i want one single seat behind the passenger seat on the second row & the double seat behind the single on the third row. just need to find out the thickness & size of the underbody reinforcement. The bolts i have got with the seats are Fords spec bolts.

Thanks
Bobbo1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Bomber14 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:00 am

We are thinking of removing the bulkhead in our lwb dciv, how does this effect the alarm with the bulkhead out ?
Bomber14

Postby se7en » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:32 am

I have a DCIV Ltd spec van , and it hasn't affected that. I believe other models, Base and trend have different spec alarms, not sure what happens to them.
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby BHM » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:49 pm

I have a Trend L2 with the thatcham upgrade wotsit. I have had the bulkhead removed for over 18 months and never had the alarm activate. Interia sensors always on.

BHM
BHM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby yasser » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:51 pm

BHM wrote:I have a Trend L2 with the thatcham upgrade wotsit. I have had the bulkhead removed for over 18 months and never had the alarm activate. Interia sensors always on.

BHM

But will it activate?, that's the question. I don't think the Tourneo has the internal alarm sensor that's why it not a cat1 alarm. The reason could be the sensor they use on the DCiV and vans will not cover the whole vehicle.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby se7en » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:24 pm

The internal sensor does work with the bulkhead removed, I slept in the back of my van, every time I moved the alarm went off.....!! the way round it is to deactivate the interior sensor or just lock it from the inside with the locking button on the interior drivers/passengers door handle.
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Bobbo1 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:57 pm

yes i can vouch of the internal sensor still working, i took my bulkhead out last week & not had any issues, I have just finished installing the tourneo seats in my Transit custom van.
Bobbo1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richbee » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:18 pm

Why does it have to be so complicated - why can't Ford just offer a 'proper' VW style combi - no bulkhead, folding / removable 2nd row seats. Job's a good 'un?
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby S60r » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:36 pm

Pretty sure it ncap rating related. It can't have 5 stars without the reinforced non folding rear seats. It's the only 5 star combo out there isn't it?
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby richbee » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:23 am

S60r wrote:Pretty sure it ncap rating related. It can't have 5 stars without the reinforced non folding rear seats. It's the only 5 star combo out there isn't it?

But the Tourneos are 5* rated too. They have the folding seats.

Don't know about the competition
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby S60r » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:40 am

The tourneo doesn't have the load area... I think if you have a ton of gear in the bay and have a front impact, the load wants to intrude into the seated area at pace.... the folding seats wouldn't allow for the rear passengers to be protected. Pretty sure that's what I was told.... the VW has folding seats and only gets 4 I think... I too would like the seats to fold ideally... I would use that space more often than having the seats occupied I think.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby vanvliet » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:04 pm

Derbymark wrote:Ok, had a look at the technical manual and can see the drawing for the Kombi which looks to have the fixing points in the same spot as your seats appear to attach for a RHD. The only way to be sure I guess is to take the floor up and have a look. Have contacted a Ford garage to see if I can buy the seats and tracks and they are seriously expensive (£2,300 + Vat)... ouch..!

Guess I am going to have to scour the interwebs, ebay etc for someone selling them from an insurance write off or something similar.

I have been told that the Kombi floor is the same as the Tourneo and that campervan converters use these vans if fitting slide floor rails because they are already reinforced.
It might be worthwhile contacting a few of these converters for second hand seats because they remove the seats and mounts to ply the floor and fit camperbed/seat units
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby yasser » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:24 pm

edit
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby thedugmaster » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:56 pm

S60r wrote:The tourneo doesn't have the load area... I think if you have a ton of gear in the bay and have a front impact, the load wants to intrude into the seated area at pace.... the folding seats wouldn't allow for the rear passengers to be protected. Pretty sure that's what I was told.... the VW has folding seats and only gets 4 I think... I too would like the seats to fold ideally... I would use that space more often than having the seats occupied I think.

I've got a 9 seat Tourneo Custom and I can tell you that the seats are more than adequate to stop loads moving forwards from the back - they are hugely solid and well made.
thedugmaster
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom