*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Passenger Compartment Grounding Point

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Passenger Compartment Grounding Point

Postby dowdalld » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:03 pm

Hi,
In the BEMM there is a grounding point indicated in the centre of the cab under the seats, Is this hidden under the floor covering or is it one of the studs visible?

Thamks
dowdalld
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Passenger Compartment Grounding Point

Postby dowdalld » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:37 pm

Any suggestions as to where to ground a small amp located under the passenger seat would be appreciated, thanks
dowdalld
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knighty1981 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:28 pm

use one of the bolts that holes the seat down ?

good strong earth point right there :-)
knighty1981
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ravin beef » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:53 am

As above, or if you are running a live feed from the customer connection point on the side of the drivers seat you might as well run your earth from there too for all the distance?
ravin beef
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dowdalld » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Thanks for the replies. A seat bolt would have been my choice in the past but the warnings in the BEMM about only grounding at "approved" points had me worried.

Ravin beef, yes, I plan on using the point on the drivers seat but where precisely should I attach my ground cable? Am I correct in understanding that it is not advised to connect directly to the battery negative?. There is mention in the BEMM of an auxillary ground in post, I think, but I don't know if I have one or if it's only associated with a double battery setup?

Sorry for all the questions....
dowdalld
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby moley551 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:37 pm

I've used the load loop to ground an extra battery and smart relay, the positive is taken from the 60 amp seat point, you can push a cable though a gap between the bulk head and rubber matt the picture shows the passenger side as my extra battery is now blocking the camera view on the drivers side. It was the closest point I could find.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ravin beef » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:17 am

I would think the grounding point would be under the handbrake cover?
ravin beef
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dowdalld » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:18 pm

I think you may be correct Ravin, and possibly under part of the handbrake itself, fairly inaccessible either way. The load loop, either side, would be easy if its an effective point, thanks Moley
dowdalld
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby AllAboardTheWolfBus » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:55 am

Some lunatic* ripped out the whole interior of his custom and dynamatted the whole thing, his photos revealed the ground point. I'll see if I can find the post. I can't remember whether I saw it here or elsewhere.

Edit: I found it. There's a gallery of pictures at the bottom of his post. http://www.fordtransitforum.co.uk/forum ... 5&t=155266

* I use the term with great admiration for his efforts. The lunatic.
AllAboardTheWolfBus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dowdalld » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:57 pm

Thanks for that AllAboard. That was some project; not one to pass the evening and be on the road for 9am!! But it has answered my gorunding question. Cheers
dowdalld
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ravin beef » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:23 am

He went to an awful lot of work there for the sound deadening to be patchy. The silent coat is good stuff, I've done my front doors with it and it's a massive improvement.
ravin beef
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby paulsherwood6 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:05 am

dowdalld wrote:Thanks for that AllAboard. That was some project; not one to pass the evening and be on the road for 9am!! But it has answered my gorunding question. Cheers

Could you help me solve the same problem please. I am struggling to lift the rubber matting to see enough of the floor of the van to check all the possibilities.
There is a point on the floor under the rubber matt around the mid point, a few inches in front of the bulkead where there is a threaded recess covered with a bit of clear plastic. Could this e it?
It might help me if you could identify the image in the mario92 photo gallery which shows the grounding point, I haven't spotted it yet.

many thanks.
Paul
paulsherwood6

Return to Transit Custom