*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Instrument Cluster Fail

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Instrument Cluster Fail

Postby ukblade » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:49 pm

Hello All,
Bought my van June '14 and it hasn't missed a beat in 40k miles............. until today.

Jumped in van and I have no instruments at all, no speedo, rev counter, gauges, digital readouts, or radio and small screen in middle of dash.
RAC spent 2 hours with van trying to find fault OBD just says Cluster no longer communcating with vehicle.

Can't get it in for checks at any local dealership until 25th so stuck for 2 weeks.
Does drive and I could use my satnav as speedo but would just have to keep it brimmed with fuel but not keen on doing that.

Can anybody help at all?

Thanks Mark
ukblade

Re: Instrument Cluster Fail

Postby moley551 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:31 pm

Mine has 39k, now I've got something else to look forward to..have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while, seems to have fixed some other problems.... :?: good luck
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby keeff » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:45 pm

I had a fault with my fuel gauge about 9 months ago but the dealer didn't want to work on it as ford had faults with the cluster going dead. They said ford had vans parked up waiting for new software. I hope you just need the new software.
keeff
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:35 am

ukblade wrote:Hello All,
Bought my van June '14 and it hasn't missed a beat in 40k miles............. until today.

Jumped in van and I have no instruments at all, no speedo, rev counter, gauges, digital readouts, or radio and small screen in middle of dash.
RAC spent 2 hours with van trying to find fault OBD just says Cluster no longer communcating with vehicle.

Can't get it in for checks at any local dealership until 25th so stuck for 2 weeks.
Does drive and I could use my satnav as speedo but would just have to keep it brimmed with fuel but not keen on doing that.

Can anybody help at all?

Thanks Mark

Have you checked the fuses?
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby ukblade » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:01 pm

The only fuse the RAC guy couldn't check was the one on the BCM as he couldn't get to it. I don't blame him as he'd have to of taken half the dashboard apart and he said that's really down to Ford as it's still under warranty.
I've been using it today with my Satnav as a speedo and noticed a few odd things.
None of the cluster works or the radio and centre screen but if you press the radio button for the hours use, as if you had the ignition off, I then have the radio and centre screen working and I can connect my phone via bluetooth but as soon as you press the radio button to turn it off it loses the phone and you have to search for it again and then it finds it as a previously paired phone.
The left side of the heated screen doesn't work, yet the fuse is ok.
The one touch drivers window doesn't work, you have to hold the button.
There's no lights for the heater controls or radio fascia.
All the interior lights work apart from the main one in the front set by windscreen, yet bulb is ok.
At least with my Satnav I can have it set showing a large speedo and it has a trip meter so I shouldn't run too low on fuel, so I can use the van until it goes in.
I guess the plot thickens, my main concern though is I have a feeling this isn't going to be a straight forward repair although the dealer has offered me a courtesy van ( I hope it's like for like) as I'll be running into my main build up for Christmas trade and will struggle without a large van.
I'll keep you all posted.
ukblade

Postby ukblade » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi Moley551,

RAC guy pulled the earth strap from battery for 10 mins, would that do it or should I pull the Live strap off?

Also, the BCM does anyone know actually where it is.
Is it behind (underneath) the main fuse board where your left shin is when driving, cause that's where the RAC guy told me it was.
ukblade

Postby yasser » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:45 pm

I think it'll be behind the water bottle on drivers side.

Screenshot (5).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby r0ndo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:32 am

Did this ever get resolved? What was wrong? Same issue on my van.
r0ndo

Postby r0ndo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:02 pm

I hate to bump this thread again, but my van has been at the dealership to get this repaired under warranty for two weeks now and they can't figure this exact problem out. Any ideas?
r0ndo

Postby loot » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:47 pm

They're not problem solvers :( they'll first hand the van in a queue, then the guy will work to a Check sheet and put it on ids, then if he can't fix it quickly he'll bump it and it'll be bumped each time another job comes in. Meanwhile i doubt unless it is glaringly obvious that a part needs replacing, he'll work to the book and do as little as possible to get the van back to you.

Mine went in with a faulty injector and he spent 20+ mins(despite having it 2 days :shock: ) on ids resetting things then told me to drove it 600 miles which will quieten it down :roll:

I replaced the injector myself which has cured it instantly.

Good luck anyway, they should be able to fix it.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby r0ndo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:01 am

Thanks for the reply. I was able to find the fault and repair it. For posterity's sake, a shorted can bus wire in the wiring harness that goes from the dash to the IPMB (Image Processing Module B) at the back of the van was the issue. It prevented the instrument cluster and radio display from working. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future!
r0ndo

Postby loot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:14 am

Good result 8) obscure wiring faults can be the worst and fault finding them can be costly too.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby ABA » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:30 pm

I had the same problem with my transit one minite all gages working fine next nothing when it came to it was the soldering joints at back of instrument panel resolded all solder joints worked fine ever since
ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby taylorvans » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:21 pm

Hi there my name is Tony.
I am a newbie posting to the this forum but have found it very useful over the years having owned a lot of transits (still cant beat the smilley tho :D )
We have seen this issue a lot over the years, The fault is caused by a canbus communication fault from the main plug into the cluster. It will start off intermittent at first and a hit on top of the dash will normally get it to work for a short time util eventually it gets worse and the fault becomes permanent.
Take a look at the link below where it will give more info including a short video of the fault.

http://www.essexrecons.com/ford-transit-instrument-cluster-fault-108-c.asp
hope this helps guys
taylorvans

Postby calvinator » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:38 am

I have worked on transits for a long time and through my experience most of the time when the cluster fails, it is due to excess wear and dirty contacts in the ignition barrel.
One thing to test before you remove the cluster is: While the engine is running, wiggle the key up and down and see if it make the rev counter work intermittently. If that is the case then it is the contacts etc behind the ignition barrel.
Easy test to do and may save you from removing the cluster unnecessarily
calvinator

Next

Return to Transit Custom