*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

DPF system

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: DPF system

Postby moley551 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:48 pm

RussC73 wrote:Does the Rev needle rise and fall on idle? Mine did this yesterday for the first time... Pulled over and restarted and it seemed fine

Just started a regen as I parked on the drive...cooling fan comes on, fuel flow up to .3g/h (normally .1g/h at idle) and idle up to 950rpm. I tried to record the exhaust sound but my phone picks up engine clatter and cooling fan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby RussC73 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:19 pm

Managed to shoot a little video...
When it starts doing this, the revs increase to around 900\1000 but she feels like it's miss firing...
http://youtu.be/1JXWX2Z62Kk
RussC73
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mr Juggles » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:26 am

Hi Guys, been lurking for some time, so thought I'd put my 2p in....

Not sure if it should work in the same way, but I have a BMW 530d that goes through Regen, pretty much in the same way as others are writing, but a few details left out.
There's no real way of telling if the vehicle is going into Regen, unless you have a code reader plugged in. I have one for the BMW, and it shows real time data as it's happening, so you can maintain the revs required to complete the cycle.
With the BMW, you need to maintain for at least 11 minutes (could be more) above 2000 rpm to complete the cycle. If you drop below this and stop, the cycle can end, and you have to wait till the next cycle to unblock the DPF

Also, if, for any reason you have a fault code, for example, a glow plug fault.....the engine will not regen until cleared. With the real time data on the BM reader, you can see when the temp starts to rise indicating a regen. The normal running temp at the DPF prior to regen is around 350 degrees, this starts to climb sharply to around 450 - 500 when starting to regen, if you have a code, it will stay there or abort the procedure....no faults....continues to rise up to a max 620 degrees, burns out the soot, and could blow it out the back to poor matey behind on the motorway.

You can scan for codes before hand, if there is one, it can be cleared and the regen will kick in. The glow plugs are needed as part of the regen....technically I don't know why, not all of them, but if the car computer detects a fault on any of them, it locks out the regen procedure.

There are other factors to consider also which can stop a regen. The engine stat, if its knackered, and remains open, will not let the engine get up to temp, and will lock out the process. This is more of a data reading process at the time rather than fault clearing. The running temp should be around 90 degrees. When stuck open, runs constant around 78. The process will not kick in. Stats need to be changed. Without a plug in reader you wouldn't know....until you get a blocked DPF.

I know I have based the above on the BMW, but the DPF cycle on a different vehicle cant be that different if it is trying to do the same thing?

Best thing...get yourself a cheap plug in reader/fault clear and see everything going on.

I hope the above helps.

Joe.
Mr Juggles
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby moley551 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi Joe. The Custom is my third van with a DPF the T5 and Vivaro are barely noticeable when they regen the Custom sounds like a tank! The vans have a shorter exhaust than the buses so maybe that makes a difference my radio rarely goes above "5"so with lower speeds around lanes and villages, it maybe I notice it more than most. Although the DPF's are similar the management systems and parameters vary from one manufacturer to another it seems to be a "secret" what the Ford one does..
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:37 pm

moley551 wrote:The vans have a shorter exhaust than the buses so maybe that makes a difference

Your Custom does?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby moley551 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:52 pm

Mike wrote:
moley551 wrote:The vans have a shorter exhaust than the buses so maybe that makes a difference

Your Custom does?

Does the Dciv have the short exhaust like my van?
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:54 pm

moley551 wrote:Does the Dciv have the short exhaust like my van?

I don't know, I was asking if your van has a short exhaust? My MK7 did, but my Custom (van) is full length.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby moley551 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:10 am

Mike wrote:

I don't know, I was asking if your van has a short exhaust? My MK7 did, but my Custom (van) is full length.

I read on here that the vans have short exhausts and buses/cars have full length. Have you got an extra silencer box or just a longer tailpipe this may explain why some people can't hear the change in tone..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Sparkeselectrical » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:22 am

moley551 wrote:
Mike wrote:

I read on here that the vans have short exhausts and buses/cars have full length. Have you got an extra silencer box or just a longer tailpipe this may explain why some people can't hear the change in tone..

DCiV's also have longer exhaust
New 170 Limited 290 L1 DCiV
Sparkeselectrical
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:11 am

moley551 wrote:
Mike wrote:

I'll check and let you know, good point about the noise though, as I said my MK7 had the short exhaust and sounded rather good during a regen.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Mike » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:44 am

Yep, one box about halfway down the van.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby beergarden » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:05 am

My transit custom of 2013 requires a new fuel vaporizer glow plug according to the error codes can anyone tell me where the vaporizer is located on the van?
beergarden

Postby Whytegoods » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:22 pm

Fuel vaporizer is just down stream of turbo looks likne a lamda probe with a glow plug and a fuel line
Whytegoods

Previous

Return to Transit Custom