*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Locked inside !!! tailgate does not open from inside?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Locked inside !!! tailgate does not open from inside?

Postby adventurerhk » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks for the pic of the wires. I've taken the plastic lock cover off to expose the three torx bolts holding the lock on. I reckon removing them might give you a way out if the doors are locked (assuming you keep a T30 torx tool in the back). I will give it a try and post if it works. Trusty wife will be outside to rescue me is it doesn't!

I'm in Hong Kong and nearly all the transit customs here are tailgate versions. Plus the law here requires a fixed bulkhead between the cargo and seating area. I reckon Ford ought to install an emergency door release. Summer temperatures get well over 30 degrees centigrade so getting stuck in the back wouldn't be nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adventurerhk

Postby hitech-donk » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:40 pm

You could run a permanent live to your new switch I guess so that it would always work. I can't remember which of the two is ground so you would have to use a meter and check it. Put permanent live to one side of your button and the other side of your button to the signal (non ground) wire.
hitech-donk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jasonx » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:46 pm

I have some diagrams which may help

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jasonx
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby adventurerhk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:15 am

Thanks for the wiring diagrams.

I started the job aiming to use an always live feed from the rear 12v power socket. In the process of doing that I blew the fuse. That got me thinking - an electrically powered switch is never going to be a complete failsafe. So I tried removing the lock torx bolts from the inside. That would work in an emergency. The wiring would get damaged as you push the tailgate open with the lock removed from the tailgate, but it would be better than cooking inside a hot van. I've now drilled holes in the plastic lock cover so the torx bolts are accessible. I'll be keeping aT30 torx tool in the back as well!

Also fitted a switch spliced in to the original tailgate switch. Located it in one of the holes already drilled in the tailgate.
adventurerhk

Postby adventurerhk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:51 am

Switch photo.
adventurerhk

Postby moley551 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:54 pm

Just been a story on the local news, a young woman trapped in the back of a van for 4 hours......VW caddy though just shows it can happen.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby arf33 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:45 am

this is my personal version of the update:

2- installation of an internal push button to open the tailgate from inside (useful for camping purpose)

the button in position (I drilled a Ø12mm hole)

the new wires soldered to the OEM ones in parallel

the door panel modification

the final result...I'm satisfied (it works well, as expected) !

bye bye
arf33
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richbee » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:39 pm

Excellent, was just asking about this,

good ideas & solutions :D
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ChrissyO » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:31 pm

I bought a double in cab a couple of years back with a tailgate and found this problem. I eventually wrote to the head of vehicle safety in America to notify them of this potential death trap. there response was it didn't need a release due to the classification of the van and a van with rear doors has an internal release, as the doors could blow to trapping the user inside
ChrissyO

Postby clemmy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi, I have a 2017 Tourneo Custom and would like to install the button as you all did, to open the tailgate from inside. However, the interior of my tailgate is all covered by plastics which I don't know how to remove. Any suggestion?

I have looked on all sides and I could not find a single screw to undo. It's probably anchored with automatic clips, but I'm afraid of breaking some of them if I try to simply pull the plastics towards me :-O

ImageImageImage
clemmy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Gewdraa » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:28 am

Hi
New here.
Don't want to be locked inside
Could you use a wire direct from the battery via inside switch to open the tailgate solenoid even with the door locked?
Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Take care everyone
Gewdraa

Postby Gewdraa » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:21 pm

Hi all
I recent bought a transit custom and was astounded that there is no emergency lock opening device.
My findings are, if you notice the small elongated slot on the top right hand side of the lock, putting a small screwdriver in you can operate the release arm to open lock.
You will need to mod plastic cover for the floor threshold and drill a hole in the plastic lock cover.
Of course you will need to put a screwdriver and a flashlight inside van load area.
I will post some picture.
Take care all
Chris
Gewdraa

Postby thrivinghe » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:14 am

hitech-donk wrote:I fitted a push button inside mine to allow it to be opened. Just spliced into the existing button.

that is a good idea, would you please share how to do it? sush as the wiring diagram. handbook wil be better :-)
thrivinghe

Postby zmendoza » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:45 am

Hello !
Thank you for your knowledge ! Way more difficult to find answers ford Ford than for my old VW T4 ! :)
Here is the trick for this stupid inside tailgate button !

I remove the panel with the outdoor button. 4 screws to remove from the inside.

So the wires are : purple&brown and black&white ! Simple !

Back inside! The connector where to get those wires :

But ... Not so simple ! There is 2 purple&brown and 2 black&white !...
I had to try and try again ...
The good ones are those :

And now it works perfectly !
Button installed in a plastic cover in the middle of the panel. No drilling on the metal !
But why isn't it installed by default? Mystery...
zmendoza

Postby Merla » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:27 pm

hitech-donk wrote:I fitted a push button inside mine to allow it to be opened. Just spliced into the existing button.

Fab idea - been trying to do this. Could you give details on what you used and if it would work on a 2018 mk8 transit custom tailgate?

Cheers
Mac
Merla

Previous

Return to Transit Custom