*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

anti theft wheel nuts...key lost

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: anti theft wheel nuts...key lost

Postby arf33 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:16 pm

good advice...may I will try this way 1st

thanks
arf33
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Brains_transit » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:55 pm

If drilling is the way you need to go then a refinished masonary bit so it looks like a metal bit will drill through hardened steel, don't drill too fast and apply pressure to the drill and some drill cooling liquid might help
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby keeff » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:14 am

I lost the key to a set on a car we had and the AA removed it but I had to sign to accept responsibility for any damage to the wheels . They got the off without any damage.
keeff
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby arf33 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:49 am

how muc hdid you paid for ?
arf33
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby keeff » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:31 pm

I am a AA member and had a puncher so it was free.
keeff
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Coops » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:41 pm

It's mguard who make those lock nuts , if u ask ford to replace lock key , even if u have key card from new , they will not supply the locking key , I know sounds stupid , but I was told I had to go directly to mguard . As I had my key card I asked at local halfords as they sell mguard lock nuts , they was happy to help . My local trust ford Barnsley would not help .
Coops
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby yasser » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:55 pm

Coops wrote:It's mguard who make those lock nuts , if u ask ford to replace lock key , even if u have key card from new , they will not supply the locking key , I know sounds stupid , but I was told I had to go directly to mguard . As I had my key card I asked at local halfords as they sell mguard lock nuts , they was happy to help . My local trust ford Barnsley would not help .

You were told wrong. When I got my van I went straight to my local ford (he's only a service only garage and private but he has the ford badge) and he just ordered me one. It took a week and a half to arrive and cost £22+ vat. No Problem
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jrobinson » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:32 am

These wheel bits are a joke... had a puncture on my rear offside tyre so went to change it, the locking wheel but would not budge, ended up sheering the key so had to call AA out, none of his locking wheel but removers would get it to move so he ended up spending 2 hours chipping away at it until it was on about 100 pieces. In the process he knackered the stud and the hub, I took it to ford who wanted to charge me around £500 for a new hub as it wasn’t covered under warranty. Seeing as it was only 1 year old I decided to write a long ass email to the Ford CEO (not that he reads them, but I think you get a better response), I got a good reply to say that ford would cover the replacement hub, new key and removal and replacement of the other 3 lock nuts. Took my van into ford yesterday for them to do the work and just got a phone call this morning to say that even with the new key, the right tools and applying heat they still can’t budge the other 3!!! They’ve proposed ordering a few more keys as the new one they have is at breaking point. Just proves my point that these are fitted waaaaay too tight from the factory and has caused me a sh*t load of hassle from something as simple as changing a wheel. It must be a common problem so if anyone has the same issue and gets told it’s not covered under warranty, be persistent as it could save you the best part of a grand! This happened on a 16 plate transit custom.
Jrobinson

Postby loot » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:50 pm

My 65 plate custom had this problem, the factory mcguard key just breaks, i managed to get my nuts off and i scored a new set of mcguard locking nuts and key from eBay for cheap.

I only put them on a bit more than hand tight on the breaker bar. They're always tighter to undo than the amount you tighten them, plus i think the conical shape helps them bond.

I never bothered Ford for 2 reasons.
1. it would have cost me fuel and time etc getting it to them.
2. The tyres were changed by quick fit iirc so I took it that they'd just gunned it up to fook and that would be enough of a reason for Ford to say nah mate.

But yes, these things should be tested under ' universal operator' conditions.

Besides all that.

Just look at the Ford nut removal tool, it is designed to fook any wheel nut up :roll:

:lol:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby S60r » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:48 am

Me too.
65 plate, locking wheel nut made of chocolate. I got 3 off....the fourth is still on there. I’ll do it one day... probably the day I get a puncture....they are really fragile!

When they broke Ford told me I had overtightenend the nuts..... I was removing the factory fitted original wheels when it broke.... so Ford must have overtightened them then?.........Of course not sir.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:49 am

I take it you ladies have never been overtaken by one of your wheels then :?:
Ever since that incident I keep my nuts lube free and tight 8)
Locking or otherwise :lol:
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous

Return to Transit Custom