*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

WELLHOUSE TERRIER CAMPERVAN

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

WELLHOUSE TERRIER CAMPERVAN

Postby FlyCatcher » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:31 pm

Can we find how many terrier campers are on this forum
FlyCatcher
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: WELLHOUSE TERRIER CAMPERVAN

Postby bolti » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:48 pm

Add me to the list
bolti
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Softlips » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:16 pm

And me.
Softlips
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pugs » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:20 pm

and another
Wellhouse Terrier Transit Custom
Pugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FlyCatcher » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:59 pm

Thats only 4 inc me, there must be more ,maybe they are Shy
FlyCatcher
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Transitcamper3 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:12 pm

Can I please ask you if you are happy with your Wellhouse Terrier? Looks like a fantastic conversion! Also, what's it like to drive with the conversion in the back?
Transitcamper3

Postby Softlips » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:44 pm

Transitcamper3 wrote:Can I please ask you if you are happy with your Wellhouse Terrier? Looks like a fantastic conversion! Also, what's it like to drive with the conversion in the back?

Yes, absolutely love ours. It's the 155PS engine and goes reasonably well, drives nice. I tried a T5 California but that didn't drive anywhere near as good. The ones like mine with the SCA roof seem a little better than the first ones, new interior which has just come out is also a slight improvement.
Softlips
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby moley551 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:42 pm

Was it one of you lot in Holmbush, St Austell, today?
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby FlyCatcher » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:56 am

Not me
FlyCatcher
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pugs » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:17 pm

We opted for quite a lot of optional extras on top of the SE version. More importantly and hopefully the right decision, we didn't go for the woodwork options but instead went for a 'carbon' finish to the kitchen and black perforated leather with a blue insert for the seats and a stronger vinyl flooring which used to be available on other conversions, a bit different to the 'norm'. Base vehicle is in 'Techtonic Silver'

We opted for the 155PSI engine amongst other items, since we felt that would be better for the Highlands and had the winter pack added to

It's a lovely conversion generally, I think we chose well with the options and colour schemes.

Pros with conversion:
Generally well built and smart looking conversion with nice touches. Wellhouse will try and accommodate what you want but be prepared to argue a wee bit. SCA roof has loads of room and so does the ‘downstairs’ bed to. Plenty of storage for this type of conversion but be aware the newer models may have a different sliding seat arrangement with dual rails and smaller under seat drawer, which would be no good to us as this is where we store items not needed day to day. If you get the old style sliding seat with one rail, ask if you can get some more notches cut out for more seat position options – the new ones are ok for this. Great large (in camper terms!) wardrobe with fold up shelves. Great solar panel and fridge is functional. On a 13 day trip we charged the van up once for 12 hrs on mains supply, never did we think we would run out of power but we travel around a bit and never stay put ‘wilding’ in one place for more than 2 or 3 night before moving on. Gas has lasted ages with 6kg Gaslow. Interior lighting is brilliant. Very sturdy and well made furniture. Eberspacher heater is good.SLIDING SEAT amazing and makes van so functional

Pros with Base
Nice van to drive, good manners, generally well laid out, good engine when upgraded. Lights ok, looks nice and more sleek than a VW!

Cons with conversion:
There has been some slight quality control issues with this, such as Gaslow gauge having been incorrectly fitted\broken, loose locking push buttons for cupboards, quite a few rattles and more importantly a cracked fresh water tank and pipe. I think Wellhouse are now being pushed by Ford to 'mass' produce these and are in risk of losing site of workmanship. I've heard but not experienced it, roof issues (might be 2014 models) where they don’t close (this may be rectified with the SCA roofs which all new builds have, including our own) and problems with stiff passenger and drivers seats when trying to swivel the seat (to point that they seize).

We also had a battle to get our choice of colours and materials fitted including choice of leather colour and the biggest issue was the incorrect supply of said leather seats, we choose a perforated black leather and blue insert and got normal 'smooth' leather and blue insert. That is quite a difference and again shows the quality control checks aren't as good as they could have been

Cons with Base Vehicle :
Hmmm, 'it's a Ford' could be possibly classed as a con by VW walts but I know peeps who have had issues with the more modern day VW including electrics and return of cars. Paint work (thin) is a bit suspect, I fear it may be very thin and have chips across the bonnet already which goes straight threw to the paintwork! So far the MPG is around 35 to the gallon and I'd recommend going with the 155PS engine. I am highly suspicious (longevity) of the Euro 5 engines which IMHO will get worse with Euro 6 engines i.e. sooting up, filters, 20 litre urea tanks and so forth. Washer jets are useless. Where have all the airbags gone on the conversion, only counted two and no side impact ones) Wellhouse also stopped using the Tourneo, stating that the base was too expensive but other companies are well undercutting them for a Tourneo spec vehicle, which in my opinion appears to be a better spec. 1st gear too tall\useless, 6th gear only good over 60 (if you want your engine to regenerate). Standard tyres useless on wet grass. Low ground clearance but to be expected it's just our other car is a Jeep Wrangler and we were used to that on the west coast...ha ha. Overall it’s good

Nice to have:

Proper valet would have been nice on delivery, ok it was driven up here but you could tell it wasn't really detailed i.e. glazed and waxed. I paid 150 squid to get this pro valeted, and the difference is huge and will last now until winter. It is after all a very expensive 'investment'. SCA do a better roof 'deluxe' which amongst other things pulls in the sheeting for you, it costs 300 quid more but no option was given for this. HOT WATER - C'mon Wellhouse!

Lessons:
Get snow tyres! Got a set of 15" Ford steel rims from Wellhouse and bought some Nokian snow tyres WRC3s, these will probably stay on until worn out, saving my Alloys and hopefully not getting stuck as much on grass!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wellhouse Terrier Transit Custom
Pugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Softlips » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:32 pm

I lined all the cupboards and drawers on ours, no rattles. The rear table mount started rattling but 1/4 turn with a spanner and it's gone.

Options we had were
Heated insulated tanks
Safe
Sat nav
Drive away awning and rail
Upper bed (obviously)
We too specced a different floor but I believe they are now using it in them all.
Gaslow system
I persuaded them to fit the Fird 'dress up' pack which added wheel arch trims, front bib and rear spoiler.

I too prefer the old seat which ours has (they will fit this to new vehicles if asked). I prefer the rails on this one and obviously the bigger drawer.

We picked ours up from the factory, I called and saw it being built during the process. It was well prepped to be honest. One issue that annoys me is the stripes not being quite straight, I didn't notice till my wife pointed it out.

I'm hopefully getting the new cassette blinds fitted to the cab in a couple of months, either that or fitting curtains like other conversions.

Does anyone know if the tanks are vented? I notice when I fill mine right up I see what I initially thought was water leaking from the drain plug. Wellhouse sent me another plug but it still happens and on closer inspection I see it comes from the insulation - so I assume it's what has got under the insulation from the vent when filling. How did you discover yours was cracked?

The drainage tap doesn't completely empty the tank so I usually use the drain plug instead for the clean water tank.
Softlips
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bolti » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:47 pm

When I fill my fresh water tank, when full then water pours to the ground, I naturally assumed this was an overflow.
Will give my thoughts on the van/conversion tomorrow
Last edited by bolti on Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bolti
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Softlips » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:57 pm

bolti wrote:When I fill my fresh water tank, when full then water pours to the ground, I naturally assumed this was an overflow.
Will give my thoughts on the van/conversion tomorrow

Thinking more about this I remember seeing the tanks at the factory and they did have a vent in the top.
Softlips
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bolti » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:18 pm

Before getting casette blinds/curtains look at silver screens. These fit on the outside of the vehicle and massively reduce condensation, got mine from eBay £50.
bolti
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Softlips » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:14 pm

bolti wrote:Before getting casette blinds/curtains look at silver screens. These fit on the outside of the vehicle and massively reduce condensation, got mine from eBay £50.

I fancy having something I don't need to store anywhere. I've considered silver screens but wondered if they were a pain when wet. The only place I get condensation is the cab area so I wondered if cassette blinds or a curtain (I've seen some more recent conversions have a curtain track around the cab Windows).

This is my first camper - do you think the silver screens would be better than the interior options?
Softlips
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Transit Custom