*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Hill start assist not available warning

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Hill start assist not available warning

Postby Doormedic » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:15 am

My info screen comes up with either
Hill Start not available or
Fuel Filter Blocked
I turn the engine off and turn it back on and it clears
Doormedic
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby perc666music » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:28 pm

My Ford Transit17 plate has had two dual mass replacement, one after 3 months of owning the vehicle, Fords claimed it was the main gearbox oil seal failure and contaminated the clutch, I was suspicious because the vehicle was braking on its own, so I went to the workshop as the clutch came out and there was no contamination. Ford Technical advised me that my vehicle was not one on their radar, so it was bad driving on my part. They were lying because the second time the same problems occurred the vehicle would not move either way, AA came out explained to him and he knew immediately, saying fords advised that if you un tick hill start assist the van will move, problem is he did not tell me that every time you start the vehicle you need to un tick hill start assist.

I knew when I had forgotten because the vehicle started braking, un tick and the van free rolled with out interference. My van on second clutch replacement had also the brake servo replaced, this is all interlinked with hill start assist . For a company that has known about this dangerous problem since 11 plate needs to be recalling every vehicle as it became dangerous when overtaking and the van grinded to a halt.
perc666music

Postby Funkyjazzlover » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:24 am

I've been having this problem too. Intermittent warning when starting cold, restart and it clears. I'll try lifting the clutch next time.
Funkyjazzlover
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Klunker » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:17 pm

According to Ford, the Hill start assist unavailable warning is due to the battery going in to low voltage mode, usually due to the aircon being on when the stop start function is activated, and is harvesting power via the alternator.
Klunker
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Klunker » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:26 pm

Turn your heating up a bit, or switch off aircon or engine start/stop.

Personally, I never liked pulling off the motorway and coming up a slip road and the start/stop switches your engine off. I want the turbo to spin down and cool down, before starving it of oil. Coming from a Ranger with a lightly howling turbo, this technology may be the reason for the short life of turbo oil seals, and coming from Subaru, the last thing you want is to blast it home, rock u on the drive with your brakes and turbo glowing red hot, then switch off your oil pump.

I've been switching off start/stop when I get in, as it's shite anyway for economy and your engine, and that hill start assist warning has stopped.

In the Ranger as well, the Hill start assist only started when you had enough resistance from gravity, backwards or forwards, to activate the system.

It's effectively an auto handbrake that releases on opposite force, so just use clutch control and be happy when it actually assists you :)
Klunker
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jfra94 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:37 am

Klunker wrote:According to Ford, the Hill start assist unavailable warning is due to the battery going in to low voltage mode, usually due to the aircon being on when the stop start function is activated, and is harvesting power via the alternator.

Having this same issue. Where did you read that in regards to aircon and voltage?
jfra94

Previous

Return to Transit Custom