*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Touch screen retro fit

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Touch screen retro fit

Postby roughtech » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:14 pm

What are the pro's and cons for fitting a touchscreen in a new custom? Does sync still work? Steering wheel controls etc. Would a new suitable apron be readily available
roughtech
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Touch screen retro fit

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:09 am

If you mean an aftermarket touch screeen, it's unlikely that the sync will work. If anyone makes one it'll be Pioneer or Alpine.

It looks like the Connect has a bigger touch screen than the new Custom :?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby roughtech » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:17 pm

Mike wrote:If you mean an aftermarket touch screeen, it's unlikely that the sync will work. If anyone makes one it'll be Pioneer or Alpine.

Even taking one out of the new transit if you could...I wonder if the surrounding plastic bits could be altered. Would sync 2 be purely as a result of the touch unit. I'm sure it'd cost many body parts but how would you go about finding out? Probably a case of finding someone willing to have there new transit dash savaged )
roughtech
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby S60r » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:49 am

I've looked into this as I have a really good pioneer unit that I was going to put in.

I can find the double din facia conversion and the canbus interface, you also need an ariel adapter, the central locking light and airbag off warning light as a seperate switch as they are part of the oem facia which has to go. This lot costs about 250 quid ish so not too bad....

This will help you keep the steering volume controls & the track up/down function BUT you will lose the use of the telephone buttons, the voice button and sync. Sync is no problem nor is the voice as most head units have a better solution anyway.... The biggest stumbling block for me is the loss of the parking sensors and the parking sensor graphics. Also the double din facia lays at a strange angle and points to the ceiling too much. I have given up on the idea of aftermarket now and have started improving the oem. Sub is in, as is loads of sound deadening which really improves things. Speakers and amp next, and reverse camera too.

Also... If you have iPhone set up CarPlay its so much better than the ford sync!! Go to settings- general- car play- and follow instructions on the iPhone using the voice button on the steering wheel. You can then have a short press for the ford sync or a longer press to get Siri. It even appears on the top screen as Siri. Works really well. :)
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby roughtech » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:31 pm

Mike wrote:If you mean an aftermarket touch screeen, it's unlikely that the sync will work. If anyone makes one it'll be Pioneer or Alpine.

Just wondering if the sync 2 from the transit would work and would the dash surround fit
roughtech
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:59 pm

Any more info on this?

Does anyone know which version sync i have? It is the small 4" lcd satnav display, so i guess sync but it could be sync 2 buy not with my touch?

Is there a mk1 fascia/bezel for the sync3?

I'm still looking :|
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Return to Transit Custom