*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Aftermarket head unit help

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Aftermarket head unit help

Postby Bmwalex » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:10 am

Hopefully you guys can shed some light on This for me

I've been lead to believe that it's hard work to fit an aftermarket headunit in the new custom. This doesn't bother me so much as I'd like my aftermarket headunit in my new van.

Although I've been told that the parking sensors are wired to the stereo?

Any ideas advice or help would be great
Bmwalex
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Aftermarket head unit help

Postby S60r » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:00 am

Hi,

Yes I've looked at this. It's very do able but you will lose the parking sensors, the graphic of the parking sensors and the telephone buttons on the steering wheel too. I wasn't prepared to lose all that so I am amping and upgrading to keep the oem look. I must say that even just an active sub and some sound deadening have made a huge difference in sound.

To get a double din aftermarket to work you need the facia adapter, the airbag and central locking switch (as they are part of the original ford facia) the canbus connector, the ariel connector and the steering interface connector.

If you give me the make & model of the head unit I'll post up the kit and where to get it..... I promise I don't work for them, I've just used them many times...... The kit to make all this happen is around 500 quid I'm afraid, and that's before you start upgrading the speakers etc.

Hth. :)
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Bmwalex » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:01 pm

Ok then so the fascias for £140 on eBay are no good it's a alpine ine headunit going into my 66 plate transit
Bmwalex
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:31 am

No idea about the eBay facia not looked at them. You need way more than just a facia though!

Facia wise, you need to check which colour you have (3 to choose from)

Here is the stuff you need, I hope the link works.... I've never used alpine but you'll still need the CAN interface, the steering wheel interface, the facia, the hazard and lock switches, the ariel adapter. If your alpine unit is DAB you'll also need to sort out an ariel solution for it. Normally a glass mounted one but there are other more expensive options. If the alpine has nav, you'll also need to surface mount a GPS receiver.

https://incartec.co.uk/ford/2535/1036/2 ... owser.aspx

You'll lose the parking sensors and the top display, and as the telephone buttons on the steering wheel won't work you'll have to answer calls from the screen which isn't an easy reach.

Are you still keen to go ahead? The cost together with the stuff you lose just wasn't worth it for me.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby seikokid » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:07 pm

Been here myself and was looking at over £1000 to have an aftermarket headunit

Gone with a good high power alpine amp, focal speakers and crossovers and a sub - all mounted under the seat and spliced into the speaker wire loom
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seikokid » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Upgrading the door speakers

Sooooo!
Ripped everything out , bought a new Alpine amp and a wiring kit and fitted it as follows , and would you believe it I still get the whining !!!

Main power feed taken direct from secondary battery

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... id=1447959
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby John_C84 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:51 am

I have a Pioneer F88dab in mine and it works great!

Excuse the dirty screen.
John_C84
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby seikokid » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:25 pm

Nice ! how has it affected the existing controls and functions?
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gary@apt » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:24 pm

ive just had a f88 installed but top screen still trying to show radio stuff, annoying id rather it was just date and time with park sensors when needed
gary@apt
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby pbetamax » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:14 pm

I have a question? I am trying to install a Pioneer F77-DAB double din head unit into my 2016 Custom (euro 6). I have the correct module and leads but my dilemma is I can’t see any way of fitting the stereo into the void left by the OEM head unit. I have tried every which way but can't figure out how it will fit without chopping some of the inner dash.
Any assistance would be gratefully received.
PB
:roll:
pbetamax

Postby pbetamax » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:13 pm

An update on my head unit upgrade, I had to modify the internals of the dash to accommodate the Pioneer F77dab which I hadn't planned on but I was determined to install this stereo so had no choice. I ended up using the canbus adapted from the Ford Ranger as this is compatible with the Euro 6 canbus architecture. The dash still displays the front and rear parking sensors and I still get the warning beeps, the steering wheel controls also work fine. In my opinion the OEM stereo is the week link as I had already changed the front speakers which made little if no difference but the new set up sounds fantastic. I have since added an amp and placed some 6x9 Pioneers under the rear seats (dciv).
Its not as job for the fient hearted but I now have satnav, rear parking camera and DAB radio plus it sounds a hundred times better.
PB
pbetamax

Postby S60r » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:16 am

pbetamax wrote:An update on my head unit upgrade, I had to modify the internals of the dash to accommodate the Pioneer F77dab which I hadn't planned on but I was determined to install this stereo so had no choice. I ended up using the canbus adapted from the Ford Ranger as this is compatible with the Euro 6 canbus architecture. The dash still displays the front and rear parking sensors and I still get the warning beeps, the steering wheel controls also work fine. In my opinion the OEM stereo is the week link as I had already changed the front speakers which made little if no difference but the new set up sounds fantastic. I have since added an amp and placed some 6x9 Pioneers under the rear seats (dciv).
Its not as job for the fient hearted but I now have satnav, rear parking camera and DAB radio plus it sounds a hundred times better.
PB

You had DAB already didn't you?

Good work though, I like the f77, I had that in my jeep prior to this custom. Particularly like the overspeed limit warning that flashes up on the bottom of the screen and the little arrow and number that flashes up when you are in Nav mode that indicates what number house you are passing by. Very handy... it's a well thought out unit.

I have opted to keep the oem look in the custom, so I've added rear cam, sub, sound deadening and the amp will be next but the improvement is huge already. Where have you sited your amp and what did you use? I also have the DCIV. Not sure if I just use a small class d to save on battery drain, heat and space and just splice into the loom behind the head unit..... I've not much room left under the passenger seats now as the sub and stowage lives there.

Also, Did you add rear speakers?

Cheers. :)
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby stan77 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi.Anybody know if all features that are operated via Ford Radio buttons (SYNC, rain sensor, Active-City Stop, Hill Start Assist) will be lost? Thanks
stan77

Postby pbetamax » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi, no I only had the basic stereo that comes in the trend spec van, I didn't order a higher spec stereo as I always intended to replace it for something else. Ford list a Pioneer as an upgrade but this is a dealer not factory fit. The amp is Pioneer which is mounted on a frame under the passanger seat and I have 6x9 Pioneer speakers mounted in boxes under the rear seats. All the steering wheel controls work as they should as does all the parking sensors. The stereo came with a canbus lead which as I understand it will display and control things like climate control however I don't have these options so didn't use it.
PB
:shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pbetamax

Postby seikokid » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:46 am

where did you get the new facia from ?
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Transit Custom