*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Second problem in 1500miles...

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Second problem in 1500miles...

Postby Don Kee » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi all!!

So I've had the van 4/5weeks now and another problem :(

Hill assist didnt work for a couple of days, sorted now though!

New issue as of today...

Came off the motorway and stopped off at a services, switch it back on 10/15 mins later (loo break!) and the exhaust sounds like it's blown!!

First thought is DPF regen, but as I understand it once you switch the van off then on, the regen fails and alls back to normal
Luckily (or not so) we have a couple of dealers in Bristol, so I ring the first...
He concurrs, shouldn't be a regen if just started the van, but cant get me in to have a look until next thurs...

Second is a Transit centre, he tells me that if you switch the van off and on again within 45 mins, the wagon will still try to attempt to regen!!!

Is this right as its against everything I've read & heard??

Well I've done another hour on the motorway, steady 70/80 at between 2000/3000 revs, get home and its still at it

Sounds a bit better but when in neutral, when you rev it sounds ok, but on the way back down the revs, sounds deeper than Barry Whites voice...

Any ideas anyone?
Don Kee
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Second problem in 1500miles...

Postby moley551 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:16 pm

Is the idle speed at 1000rpm, my van will continue to regen after a stop quite often, when it was new it would regen all day on and off, now at nearly 60k its once or twice per tankfull.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jasonx » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:40 pm

Check the seal around the bottom of the steering column/floor
The custom sounds awful when it pops out/gets knocked out with a foot
jasonx
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Don Kee » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:54 pm

Cheers for the replies chaps

@ Moley, yeah at the moment its pretty much constantly idling at 1000rpm or literally just under...
If this is a regen then its a long bleeding regen, I mean fair play if it's this but as a novice to DPF's (I was a mk6 man before this) why would it start off crap and then get better over time..?

@ Jason, thanks I'll check the seal in the morning but the sounds actually more noticable when your outside the van or with the window down.... Its not too bad in the cab with the windows up, although still noticeable

Not sure if it makes a difference but I put a full tank of Shell V power Nitro (or whatever its called) at the start of the day. Before that it was supermarket fill ups

Dunno whether to give it a few days and see how it gets on (no dash lights flashing) or get back onto the blower to a dealer in the morning..?
Don Kee
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Veki007 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Yes it will continue with DPF regeneration if you switch off and on after few minutes.Same happening to me.I live in London so a lot of short trips and when i restart van it just continues with regeneration but it takes a lot longer if is interrupted.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby moley551 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:01 pm

My van was a dog for 30k, Stopped using Tesco juice, had the oil pump recall, a bit of 2 stroke and never looked back...20mph faster up my test hill and happily pulls a gear higher.
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:15 am

I drive the DCIV so it has the long pipe that runs to the rear bumper, my friend at work has the single cab with the short pipe so it terminates about 2 thirds down the length of the van. When his regens, which happens at least once every trip into London (50 miles) the noise is literally hilarious! Sounds like the exhaust has fallen off.... My long pipe however, you can't hear it regen at all. His has just ticked to 2000 miles and it regens all the time.

Perhaps get the pipe extended to the rear bumper? Failing that, a dpf delete and remap. Plenty of clever chaps around now that make the van look like it has a dpf for the MOT. The dpf innards can be sold for more than the cost of the remap too. :)

So don't let them keep what they remove!
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby moley551 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:48 am

There is talk of EGR and DPF operation becoming part of the MOT, this was discussed some time back, You're right with the exhaust I've got the short one and the sound is very noticeable. If you read my early posts from 3 years ago I was a Ford hater, almost at war with the dealer, I was going to get shot of this van at twelve months old because it was crap, I got thrashed uphill by a old LDV convoy (A30 Fraddon) It didn't matter how fast you hit the hill, 50 to 60 mph was max at the top, now 75+mph is easy, there is a Taxi guy on here with 350k miles no issues he swares by 2t, it's not an instant cure all but It's possibly the reason I've still got the Van.
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Don Kee » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:09 am

In fairness I'm not 100% the problems a regen...

Going out to switch it on in about half hour, will know whether or not i've had a hissy fit for no reason or not!! :D

I've got the short exhaust, its a bloody odd little thing!
Problem with it is you cant see it smoking up, so apart from the noise there is literally no clue as to whether it is doing a regen...

I've enquired about taking the DPF off, current MOT checks dont bother me, its what they may do in a couple of years to check for a DPF (i.e, more than a visual)
Don Kee
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Fencepanel » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:15 am

Mines got 1100 miles and it seems like it's regens all the bloody time, as well as the screen looking like you've had half a bottle of scotch! Surely it doesn't need to do this that often. Also I'm averaging 30 mpg which is a lot less than my old ten year.old transit. Not the 40 odd they claim
Fencepanel
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby S60r » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:50 pm

These are all costs of adhering to the bloody euro 5 and DPF's, the euro 6 with its adblue is a so called "better" way of keeping the DPF from clogging. Hopefully we can forget all this if we actually get out of Europe but I doubt it.

So, as far as I can see, 2 options...... put a long pipe on to the rear bumper which will help with the noise, or get rid of the bloody thing. I certainly will be getting rid of it the moment it causes me any problem or blocks up. Sod the MOT, i know of places who will pass it through. I wish ford did a v6 petrol or a V8... i'd have bought a petrol if it was available.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Sparkeselectrical » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:24 pm

S60r wrote:These are all costs of adhering to the bloody euro 5 and DPF's, the euro 6 with its adblue is a so called "better" way of keeping the DPF from clogging. Hopefully we can forget all this if we actually get out of Europe but I doubt it.

So, as far as I can see, 2 options...... put a long pipe on to the rear bumper which will help with the noise, or get rid of the bloody thing. I certainly will be getting rid of it the moment it causes me any problem or blocks up. Sod the MOT, i know of places who will pass it through. I wish ford did a v6 petrol or a V8... i'd have bought a petrol if it was available.

They sell petrol versions in China
New 170 Limited 290 L1 DCiV
Sparkeselectrical
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Don Kee » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:48 pm

Booked in for Wednesday morning

Think is, I'm getting the deep exhaust noise even when it's not regenerating at the moment...
Can't day I've noticed the screens fogging up as mentioned

Bugger knows, going down to dorset and back in it tomorrow so will see if it helps, otherwise over to Ford...
Don Kee
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:29 am

I'll have a fiver with you that your dpf will be blocked. They'll unblock it, clear codes and it will run fine for a while. Then it'll be back. ... Give it some humpty down to Dorset though, you can't beat the "Italian tune up" :)

China!! Lol. I'll pop over there and bring one back then. :roll:
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:36 am

Surely the warning light should come on if the dpf is blocked?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Next

Return to Transit Custom