*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Second problem in 1500miles...

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Second problem in 1500miles...

Postby moley551 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:38 am

check your oil level, mine would increase the oil level with fuel, I've taken excess oil out via the dip stick twice, if its over full mine would regen constantly, if I did a longer trip with lots of holiday tossers in queues the level would fall. I now keep the level around 1/2 to 3/4 on the stick. On the last oil change (oil pump recall) I asked them not to fill above 3/4, in 25k miles it's still above 1/2.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:49 am

You'd hope so but not always Mike....... A few have reported Ford as saying "your DPF was 150% blocked"... How can that be? I don't understand it, but it will constantly regen in those conditions.

I still have no idea why there isn't a light on the dash to let you know the regen is in progress. When you know what happens if you switch off and interrupt a regen! That would explain the oil level in moley's. Mine is also just over the max mark. If I had a light letting me know a regen is in progress I wouldn't switch off. The excess diesel is dumped into the sump, so there is no way the oil can last the length of time they suggest and it will result in a blocked dpf. Hence the introduction of ad blue... As soon as mine blocks it will be removed for sure.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby moley551 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:51 am

Mike wrote:Surely the warning light should come on if the dpf is blocked?

Has anyone ever mentioned a dpf light, Vospers cleaned my dpf at 97% blocked, no warning and the van was gutless, Vantuner had some results of a remap with the % much higher and no mention of a light, I've seen references to 400% blocked on dpf cleaning sites. There is very little information specifically about the Ford system.
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby moley551 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:58 am

S60, if you're over full get the excess out PDQ, a big syringe and clear plastic pipe from Halfords/B&Q, suck it out the dip stick hole, only takes 10 mins.
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Fencepanel » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:04 am

Obviously a lot of you guys are much more clued up about these engines and their characteristics. I've never heard of a dpf regeneration til I bought my van, I am more of a " stick the key in and drive to work" bloke. Which I'd bet is more the norm, company vans and hire vans etc. It boils down to the old classic of the more they put on the more there is to go wrong!
Fencepanel
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby S60r » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:06 am

moley551 wrote:S60, if you're over full get the excess out PDQ, a big syringe and clear plastic pipe from Halfords/B&Q, suck it out the dip stick hole, only takes 10 mins.

Will do moley.... I'll do it today before the Grand Prix.... I have the exact setup you mention here already as I over filled my Old Subaru once. :oops:

Cheers :)

By the way... How much oil do I add to my fuel and what type? I want to follow what you did with yours.... Is oil better than the usual additives?
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby moley551 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:27 am

The Taxi driver on here uses fully synthetic race oil, many sources say cheap oil, pre mix scooter oil or similar, my favourite is Oregon chainsaw 2t (about £25 for 5lts in Farm stores) , I would avoid caster oil based oils, ie top end race oil. 300ml in a full tank, for ease I prefill coke bottles with 300ml oil, they won't leak and are really tough. It's not an instant fix, and don't expect to leave big number 11s at the lights..
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:28 pm

Fencepanel wrote:I am more of a " stick the key in and drive to work" bloke.!

Me too, I'm on my 4th van with a dpf, not had any issues with any of them. I guess I must do the sort if driving that suits a dpf.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Sparkeselectrical » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Mike wrote:
Fencepanel wrote:I am more of a " stick the key in and drive to work" bloke.!

Me too, I'm on my 4th van with a dpf, not had any issues with any of them. I guess I must do the sort if driving that suits a dpf.

along with the 2 Relay vans, my custom & 2 cars all with DPF's fitted Ive had no problems with regen's or blocked DPF's
New 170 Limited 290 L1 DCiV
Sparkeselectrical
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby keeff » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:57 pm

Ford are new to this way of regenerating as they used a additive that pumped in to the fuel tank when you refuelled and this lowered the burn temprature of the soot in the dpf. You can use a additive from time to time that will lower the Burn temp and help keep it clean .its best to use it if you plan on doing town driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
keeff
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby windward » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi Don Kee
The first of your problems - Hill Start Assist, you said is fixed now. Was this "hill start assist not available" ?
How was it fixed or did it just clear itself.
Wellhouse Terrier2 SE Magnetic
windward

Postby Don Kee » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:12 pm

Gave it a thrashing to Dorset and back, thrashed it there this morning and kept it at a reasonably steady 2,000rpm on way back (around 1.45/2hours each way)

It doesn't sound as bad as the other day but definitley still there
No lights on dash or nothing though...

Tried to listen out for a regen but I dont think it did (hard to say when the vans revved up!!)

Will see what Ford say on wed...

Bloody vans :( :( :(
Don Kee
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:05 pm

If you think it's doing regen, put your hand on the windscreen, it'll feel warm if it's doing a regen.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Don Kee » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:09 pm

windward wrote:Hi Don Kee
The first of your problems - Hill Start Assist, you said is fixed now. Was this "hill start assist not available" ?
How was it fixed or did it just clear itself.

Fixed itself, 'Hill start assist unavailable' came up on the error screens, then the engine management light turned on and stayed on

Went off after 2 days, Ford plugged it in and said nothing was showing
Don Kee
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Don Kee » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Mike wrote:If you think it's doing regen, put your hand on the windscreen, it'll feel warm if it's doing a regen.

Will do Mike, nice one

Problem is, I'm enclined towards DPF as I've read so much about them and its iffy exhaust noise, but I'm getting no other symptoms, its literally just the fact the van is very throaty whilst coming back down the revs (either in gear or neutral)

Van drives fine, no loss of power etc... (There was a bit of a whine from the engine when I switched it off after the second trip but assuming EGR?)
I've filled her up with V power and intend on keepind doing so for a while so see how she runs

Dealership Wednesday morning, so hopefully get some news on it then (not holding my breathe mind)
Don Kee
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom