*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rustproofing

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Rustproofing

Postby aries9456 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:47 pm

Having recently bought a brand new Custom Limited and the plan is to keep it a good many years,
My concern is will it Rust like the Transit model it replaced?

Are there companies that treat the underside like Ziebart from many years ago?

Also having taken a look under the van I was Suprised to see the exhaust pipe finishes
Just ahead of the front of the rear wheels!!!
Have I lost the tail pipe? LoL
aries9456
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Rustproofing

Postby Chrisp74 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:26 am

I'm not sure if these vans will age well. Time will tell!
I undersealed our new van with 5 lt of Bilt Hamber Dynax S50, using a compressor fed spray gun.
Really nice product. Went on lovely and dries to a brown wax like film. You have to get it into the cavities, there was a Swedish study some years ago that dissected a range of cars. Corrosion starts from the inside.
They do aerosols also if you have no access to a compressor. Nice thing is it doesn't have that strong thinners smell that takes ages to go away!
Not as cheap as Tetroseal or Waxoyl but quality product IMO.
There are people that will do it for you, Before 'n' After rings a bell. Its quite expensive.
I did mine myself. Wax £45. Sprayer £65. Disposable overalls, gloves, mask. £10. I do have a small compressor, so no cost for that. I looked at "hiring" a ramp for a couple of hours, there are places that are setup for ramp hire. Think they wanted £20 an hour. would probably supply the air supply as part of ramp hire. Its a slightly antisocial and messy job, you would need to check if your sharing a workshop!
I'm really pleased with the finished job. It might not make it last like a VW but its got to help!
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby aries9456 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:02 pm

I am Suprised that there seams to be no companies that will undertake this.

I gather a car/van is a disposable item after just a few years.

Adverts on Gumtree for decent looking cars with problems in-solvable by the current owner (dash lights on etc)
and for sale at 'give away' money.

Anyway - hope my van doesn't rust away in ten years!
aries9456
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanvliet » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:25 am

Would rustproofing invalidate any Ford Warranties on a new van ?
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Camper steve » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:00 am

being a slim chap i parked my van one side up on a kerb outside my house and slid under with a tin of paint on waxoil and a 2 inch paint brush.
this went on fairly well and dries to a good black finish, i did avoid the exhaust and heat shields though. A year on now and i have slid back under thinking i might give it a second coat but it all looks good, dirt does not seem to cling to it too bad either.
Camper steve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chrisp74 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:29 pm

I did wonder about the warranty, but came to the conclusion that it would only affect the corrosion/paint warranty on the van. I have never had any success arguing with dealers about paint/corrosion issues in the past so I just did it!
To be fair its not obvious its been under sealed. The Bilt Hamber stuff is brown in colour, so you can still sort of see through it. I didn't go for the black stuff!
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Amlocks » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:29 am

Old thread warning

Did you treat it and has it rusted please?

Not got a sprayer so my plan is to paint on waxoyl with a few aerosols to try and get into cavities

aries9456 wrote:Having recently bought a brand new Custom Limited and the plan is to keep it a good many years,
My concern is will it Rust like the Transit model it replaced?

Are there companies that treat the underside like Ziebart from many years ago?

Also having taken a look under the van I was Suprised to see the exhaust pipe finishes
Just ahead of the front of the rear wheels!!!
Have I lost the tail pipe? LoL
Amlocks
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom