*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Euro 6 tapping noise

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Euro 6 tapping noise

Postby gcon45 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:48 am

And if it pops a month after the warranty expires?
gcon45

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:57 am

gcon45 wrote:And if it pops a month after the warranty expires?

Make sure you had it serviced by a Ford dealer. Although you should be ok anyway with a recall, but why take the chance?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby gcon45 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:06 pm

The annoying thing is that the sump will have to come off our brand new van.

Will the 16 year old apprentice tasked with doing the job remove the sump, spend hours carefully removing the sealant, fit the idler gear and reseal and replace the sump to factory spec?

Balls he will.

The sump will be ripped off, new gear thrown in, lots of sealant slapped on on top the old residue and stuck back on :x
gcon45

Postby barriec » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:20 pm

Yes, i seem to have the noise as was well. Van isn't 3 months old yet, only done 1,700 miles been at Think Ford Guildford since Thursday , the only contact i have had is when i call them. Spoke to them today, they said they don't know what the problem is. Getting frustrated now as it is impacting on my work. Not sure what to do now.
barriec
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby chasbo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:35 pm

Mines been with Allen Ford in Nuneaton for two and a half weeks now. They quickly diagnosed the idler pulley and gave me a van to use while mine is sorted.
They'd got it back together by the end of last week, but there was a slight rattle still there. It was a different rattle, but still . There's now been a mechanic on it direct from ford on it and hopefully I'll have it back tomorrow sometime. I can't really moan about the way the main dealer has dealt with it as they've kept me updated and supplied a replacement vehicle. Plus easter hols didn't help with things.
It started rattling around 3000m and has now done 15000 and apart from this and the parking sensors,it's been fine.
One niggling little problem is holding the revs whilst changing gear, regularly between 1st & 2nd , sometimes 2nd to 3rd, and very occasionally revs up! I've found the courtesy van does the same, apart from the reving up, just not as bad. Is this common?
chasbo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dan_robinson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:23 pm

chasbo wrote:.
One niggling little problem is holding the revs whilst changing gear, regularly between 1st & 2nd , sometimes 2nd to 3rd, and very occasionally revs up! I've found the courtesy van does the same, apart from the reving up, just not as bad. Is this common?

That's the anti stall. Should only be a couple of hundred RPM though.
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Gaz-M » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:54 pm

Did anyone ever get a definitive cure to the tapping kind of noise at idle? What idler pulley was being replaced and did it cure? They have a wet timing belt with tensioner, a wet belt for the oil pump and then a gear driven fuel pump. So Im not sure what idler pulleys there can be internally?

Ive a 2016 Mk8 Transit 170hp with this same noise just at idle. Really want to fix it and would be a lot easier with you guys feedback of previous repairs!
Gaz-M
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Gaz-M » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:07 pm

Well its done and seems to have cured the problem.

Big thanks to Taz666 who gave me the info on this as its actually a recall on some earlier Transits (upto Nov 2016 I believe).

For future reference its the bottom timing belt pulley (called an idler as its not actually the crank pulley).

The latest part number is 2269608 for the part.

Here is a list of parts required off the recall to repair the problem:

Front cover kit 2005433
Idler Gear 2269608
Crankshaft bolt 2011524
Idler gear bolt 2019999
Fuel pump gear - bolt 2020003
Primer - Front cover 1791368
Sealer - Front cover 1778303
A/C Stretchy belt RWD 2019705
A/C Stretchy belt FWD 2018353

I also put a timing belt kit on it since it was off anyway.

You will need timing tools, which I had to buy so if anyone needs the kit I have one to sell...!
Gaz-M
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumptruckface » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:15 pm

ok does anyone have any info on this fault and how i can find out if the recall effects my van? i have the ticking/tapping noise on tick over (euro 6 engine 2016)
i have taken it to my local garage and he seems to think it is some kind of split gear drive, this split gear has a tension spring which puls it together, they seem to think form talking to another garage that this spring fails and causes the split gear to rattle, as soon as the revs oick up the sound goes...... but theyve quoted me the best part of £900 to investigate further and hopefully resolve the issue, cam belt would be done at the same time as they are there and have it off.

the rattle bothers me...allot! but they are still not confident or cant say whats actually wrong until they "get int here" , i would like to check that my van doesnt come under a recall to fix the rattle before i start writing blank cheques, or if anyone else has any suggestions that would be great.
dumptruckface

Postby Gaz-M » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:42 pm

My post above you will almost certainly fix your problem and it is the exact issue you describe. The pulley is in 2 parts like a synchromesh and has a spring.

The obvious thing to do for recall is call Ford? You can check on DVSA site for recalls but Im not sure if that just shows safety recalls.

The materials alone to fix this cost me circa £350 with trade discount. I then needed a timing tool (I still have it for sale) and I paid a mechanic mate £200 to do the work which he done in a day.
Gaz-M
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tp1011 » Mon May 22, 2023 8:11 am

Hi,
by any chance, don't you have a video / sound record of this noise ? I have similar issue on Galaxy 2018, 150HP Ecoblue engine.
Was it somewhat similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/B6NrXJnX_Sw

Cheers
tp1011

Previous

Return to Transit Custom