*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Battery problems on my custom

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Battery problems on my custom

Postby S60r » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:22 am

gimmesunshine wrote:i too have same problem, and bought a soauki thing, waste of time, sent it back, have removed the factory rear leds and plan to fit own second battery charged by a 12v to 12 battery charger

Did yours not work? Was it faulty?
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Norman123 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:28 pm

Many thanks for help, I have changed the battery as advised to a Yuasa ybx 5110 fitted by my local garage £130
left doors open today for hours and it started fine tonight cheers Steve
Norman123

Postby chriswalk » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:08 am

I posted about this the other day on here and on the Facebook custom group. Seems to be a common issues. It has happened to me 3 times in 3 weeks now. 2 times when the rear doors were open for a couple hours, the 3rd time yesterday after work. The doors had been opened a few times through the day and at most half a hour in total left open. Come to drive off and flat. On the Facebook group people are saying a better battery and also mention how the system stays live for a while even when the rear doors are closed.
It is crap either way. Today's job is shelling out £130 for a new better battery including fitting. I just hope it works. Ford wanted to charge me £70 to put it into diagnosis. They say they never had the issue before.
chriswalk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:29 pm

i hope its not a Ford supplied battery! Just get a decent make and fit it yourself.... it takes minutes. Don't waste your money on Ford batteries or you'll be having the same issues down the line.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby chriswalk » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:20 pm

this is the battery I have on order. seems the be the best i seen http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs- ... ar-battery
chriswalk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby chriswalk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:21 am

Still waiting for my new battery o turn up in the local Halfords. Also taken out the bulbs in the back and got some LEDs to replace.
chriswalk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:04 am

Good choice.

You won't have any future problems with that battery i'm sure.....

I put extra LED self adhesive strips up in the cargo area of mine as well as the standard LED Ford units and i've left mine on for most of the day without issue..... The battery is still the original but the moment it loses charge (and it will) it will be gone and one similar to yours will go in.

I have a powered sub a camera and reverse cameras, and they all stay live for around 20 minutes after shutdown and locking..... nothing can be done about that... its just the way the Ford CAN operates..... so its important you have the best battery out there and the Ford one is definitely not it!

Good luck with it.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jinx » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Rosco1112 wrote:Hi guys,

Just got back from my Ford garage in a really pi$$ed off mood.

Basically since I have had my new 2015 custom I noticed that I could only spend a maximum of 30 minutes working in the back with the doors open, any longer the battery would flatten and I would need to jump start it. However since last week, I can only spend around 5 minutes in the back before the van not being able to start due to a flat battery.

I took it into Ford today and they told me the battery is working ok but that it was completely flat! They wanted £120 to re-charge the battery!!!! I asked them how much a new battery would be and it came out at £140 so I just got them to put in a new battery!

The thing I am struggling to understand is how the battery could go flat! I drive over a thousand miles per week, a 2 hour drive to work every morning and a 2 hour drive back. Surely this is ample time for the alternator to fully charge the battery?? I operate a vending business so I do stop the van around 15 times every day to load stock from the back but that only takes 10 minutes per stop and then usually have a 20 minute drive to the next location anyway so any juice I used from loading would surely be replenished from the drive between each location.

My Ford garage told me this is not a warranty issue and charged me £60 diagnostics fee ontop of the £140 battery. I just feel so disappointed in Ford as I have to pay out £400 per month for this van and feel I have just forked out £180 for something which is wrong with the van which i feel is a manufacturing problem.

My Ford garage told me I need to install a second battery and link it to the main battery otherwise this is going to keep happening! However they tell me its not something they can do! They gave me a number for a Ford conversion company but they charge £600 to link the battery :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is it worth me writing a letter to Ford? I feel the van is not fit for purpose witht his problem and I dont see why I should be the one forking out for it. I'm a one man band and that £180 has really put a dent in my finances especially coming up to Christmas :?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Ross
Hi I purchased a custom 2017 5000 miles on the clock 23rd Dec and have had exactly the same issues as you. I booked it in to my local ford dealership and they have said after testing that it is discharging due to a faulty circuit so the senior tech now has to determine which circuit is draining the battery. Its been in since last Monday and i have been given a custom replacement until its been completed so if i was you i would demand they sort it as it looks like a fairly common issue . Good Luck
jinx
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Crofts4369 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:47 pm

I know this is not exactly a recent post, but does anyone know, off hand where the switches are for the rear doors? If I just get a screwdriver and trip the latch with the doors open, will the BCM think the rear doors are closed? I want to try this to see if it stops our battery drain issue, where we can start the van fine in the morning, move it a few feet, and switch it off, load up thru the back doors for 30 mins (no bulbs in the load area lights) then the van wont start, exhibiting what seems to be a flat battery.
Crofts4369
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Pug957 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:13 pm

Had the same problem. Fitted a new battery which improved things but would still go flat in not a lot of time. What cured it for me was disabling the smart charging, turning the alternator into a standard alternator effectively. The smart charging would keep the battery about 80% charged. Now it's always charged to 100% with no issues.
Pug957
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Transit Custom