*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Battery problems on my custom

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Battery problems on my custom

Postby Rosco1112 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi guys,

Just got back from my Ford garage in a really pi$$ed off mood.

Basically since I have had my new 2015 custom I noticed that I could only spend a maximum of 30 minutes working in the back with the doors open, any longer the battery would flatten and I would need to jump start it. However since last week, I can only spend around 5 minutes in the back before the van not being able to start due to a flat battery.

I took it into Ford today and they told me the battery is working ok but that it was completely flat! They wanted £120 to re-charge the battery!!!! I asked them how much a new battery would be and it came out at £140 so I just got them to put in a new battery!

The thing I am struggling to understand is how the battery could go flat! I drive over a thousand miles per week, a 2 hour drive to work every morning and a 2 hour drive back. Surely this is ample time for the alternator to fully charge the battery?? I operate a vending business so I do stop the van around 15 times every day to load stock from the back but that only takes 10 minutes per stop and then usually have a 20 minute drive to the next location anyway so any juice I used from loading would surely be replenished from the drive between each location.

My Ford garage told me this is not a warranty issue and charged me £60 diagnostics fee ontop of the £140 battery. I just feel so disappointed in Ford as I have to pay out £400 per month for this van and feel I have just forked out £180 for something which is wrong with the van which i feel is a manufacturing problem.

My Ford garage told me I need to install a second battery and link it to the main battery otherwise this is going to keep happening! However they tell me its not something they can do! They gave me a number for a Ford conversion company but they charge £600 to link the battery :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is it worth me writing a letter to Ford? I feel the van is not fit for purpose witht his problem and I dont see why I should be the one forking out for it. I'm a one man band and that £180 has really put a dent in my finances especially coming up to Christmas :?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Ross
Rosco1112
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Battery problems on my custom

Postby Don Kee » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:50 pm

Do you need the lights on when you have the doors open?

If not, put a switch on the rear cargo lights and switch them off...no flat battery
(There was a post on here of someone that had done it, but I would have thought an inline switch would work on the positive wire)

That or do as I've done and put LED's in the back
I'm a window cleaner, the back doors are open nearly all day due to the system I use and I've had no problems (yet!!!!)

(Not to make you feel worse but £140+£60 is £200 mate not £180)
Don Kee
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Wadey » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:40 pm

My my 6 has 2 Bateries linked together (I know he's asking about a custom )
I fitted 2 gell high discharge bateries basically leasure bateries I can leave my lights on for hours and it will start
My load lights are led and there are 8 of them iv forgotten to switch them off in the evening and only noticed maybe the next evening and it will start fine
With decent bateries and led lights it should be fine
But I feel your pain what's the point in buying a new van that needs to be running to be able to work in the back I'd have something to say about it to Ford

And I belive that the alternator won't ever fully charge a flat battery
Also this weather your probably gonna have the lights heater radio on all at the same time witch will take the brunt of your alternator power meaning your battery won't charge as efficiently
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:17 am

Also ford silver calcium batteries are woefully bad. I have had bad experiences with them across 3 different Ford vehicles....get your money back and buy a reputable make instead!
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Wadey » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:17 pm

Seems Ford are wrong to only fit the silver cadmium bateries I would rather fit a better brand
This is what yuasa have to say about it
http://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/s ... batteries/
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:35 pm

I'd be complaining to Ford customer care. If you have a full Ford service history they wlll probably do the twin battery conversion for free. I know a few people who have had it done
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby bigbrush » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:16 pm

Hi
I have had the same problem over the last 2 years been recovered by aa from home too. usually booster cables from my kuga starts it. been back to fords a few times and they say noting wrong even tho other vans been in with same prob. told to fit a switch to turn off rear led lights, i have boarded and carpet lined van out so cant find live feed. also wont start if leave usb lead pluged in with nothing connected. absolute nightmare.
bigbrush
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigbrush » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:12 pm

Hi
Got same prob with my van. fords say battery fine and to put a switch on rear lights to turn them off , van is all lined out and carpeted, wont start if i leave usb lead in over nt. nightmare van 2 years old had so many bits replaced gets me down
bigbrush
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby GREEN2017 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:56 pm

I have a Transit Custom 2014 and I am also in and out of the van during the day and the battery regularly goes flat, I bought a Battery Booster from Machine Mart for £150 so that I don't get stranded. Ford know there is a problem with Custom's that have only one battery but say they can do nothing they won't even discuss refunding the cost of the booster but Lex who I lease it from have agreed to pay for a "Enhanced Flooded Battery" so I am going to try it.

The problem is caused by opening the doors which causes a drain on the power as the vans modules power up each time a door is opened and closed and this continually happening runs the battery down.
GREEN2017

Postby Doormedic » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:11 am

I've had same problem, last 12 months, bought a battery booster pack and used it weekly, then did a job for a guy who sells batteries, he sorted a good quality one out at trade cost, £60 fitted it and not had a problem since, he said the ones Ford use are crap, it's been back to dealer 3 times and each time they said the battery was good !!!!!! Liars
Doormedic
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jamesg5206 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:09 pm

I had the same battery problems. Had to jump start it every other day. I also had the AA out to jump start the van and they ran a test on the battery which said it was OK. Then it went flat one last time, I ripped in out and put a new one in and I've not had a problem since.
Transit Custom 125 Trend SWB Panther Black 2014-2017 Transit Tourneo Custom 185 Agate Black Titanium X LWB 2019-
Transit Tourneo Custom 155 Titanium LWB Panther Back 2015-2019
Transit Custom 170 Limited SWB Shadow Black 2017-
Jamesg5206
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Norman123 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi I have the same battery probs, can any body tell what size battery ford fit as standard on the transit custom ltd. perhaps I need to fit a better quality higher powered one
cheers Steve
Norman123

Postby S60r » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Just pop your reg into the euro carparts website and it will give you some options..... just about anything will be better than the Ford oem fit rubbish.

I carry one of these now in case!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/11189501 ... 096&crdt=0
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gimmesunshine » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:30 am

i too have same problem, and bought a soauki thing, waste of time, sent it back, have removed the factory rear leds and plan to fit own second battery charged by a 12v to 12 battery charger
gimmesunshine

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:12 am

Rosco1112 wrote:
Any help would be greatly appreciated

It's a shame that you haven't been back to see the advice then!
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Next

Return to Transit Custom