*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Leisure battery in parallel with Start&Stop Battery

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Leisure battery in parallel with Start&Stop Battery

Postby botacco » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:30 am

I have just bought a 120Ah deep cycle battery for my Custom converted to camper to power a webasto airtop 2000 and a waeco CF35.

How about connecting the battery in parallel with the second battery, so as to benefit of both capacity? Is there any risk?
botacco
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Leisure battery in parallel with Start&Stop Battery

Postby Altransit » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:45 am

You should never 'hard wire' a starter, and a leisure battery, as they have very different usage characteristics.
They can be connected whilst charging, usually via a split charge relay, but you'll kill a starter battery if you constantly drain it whilst in leisure use, and you'll kill a leisure battery by using it for starting :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby botacco » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:17 pm

Altransit wrote:You should never 'hard wire' a starter, and a leisure battery, as they have very different usage characteristics.
They can be connected whilst charging, usually via a split charge relay, but you'll kill a starter battery if you constantly drain it whilst in leisure use, and you'll kill a leisure battery by using it for starting :)

Thank you. The second battery (connected to the Start and Stop) is an AGM 90Ah. Isn't a kind of leisure battery?
botacco
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mistericeman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Never mind the difference in battery types (ANY paired batteries should be of the same capacity/type and age or you risk one battery discharging into the other... hence why wagon batteries are usually replaced in pairs)
What happens when your heater/lighting etc flatten the leisure battery over night AND in the process also the starter battery too???
Split charge or battery to battery charger system is only sensible way to ensure you can always drive onwards in the morning.
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jasonx » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:30 pm

botacco wrote:I have just bought a 120Ah deep cycle battery for my Custom converted to camper to power a webasto airtop 2000 and a waeco CF35.

How about connecting the battery in parallel with the second battery, so as to benefit of both capacity? Is there any risk?

https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic ... 7#p1445102 this is how I did mine
jasonx
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom