*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Tourneo Insurance

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Tourneo Insurance

Postby Jamesg5206 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Can anyone recommend an insurance company I could use for my Tourneo. I've always had fairly low insurance prices. But this year the lowest quote I've had is £668.00. With the average price being about £1100. Is this what everyone else pays or is it on the high side?
Transit Custom 125 Trend SWB Panther Black 2014-2017 Transit Tourneo Custom 185 Agate Black Titanium X LWB 2019-
Transit Tourneo Custom 155 Titanium LWB Panther Back 2015-2019
Transit Custom 170 Limited SWB Shadow Black 2017-
Jamesg5206
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Tourneo Insurance

Postby thedugmaster » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Yep, I had to fork out £1300 last year as I've only got 1 year NCB.
thedugmaster
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby 979 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:44 am

£668 sounds good as most insurers don't want to know. I paid £1100 last year.
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Jamesg5206 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Starting to think I've got a good deal at £688.00. But last year I only paid about £450.
Transit Custom 125 Trend SWB Panther Black 2014-2017 Transit Tourneo Custom 185 Agate Black Titanium X LWB 2019-
Jamesg5206
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby 979 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Who was that with, so we know for future reference.. ( ford couldn't insure me and it's their vehicle..lol ).
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Jamesg5206 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:54 pm

Last year I was insured with the CO-OP. However they have written to myself to say they will not provide cover this year and no reason given on why. The quote I've had for this year's is with the AA.
Jamesg5206
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ChinkyChips » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:47 am

There are so many variables for insurance. I bought mine this month, January 2017.
I paid £431.20 Admiral via ComparetheMarket.com
(for some reason its cheaper via ComparetheMarket rather than going direct, and you get the Cinema 2for1 offer and a free soft toy)
Paid annually rather than Monthly Direct Debit.
Fully Comp
Social and commuting
90 Day EU cover
£200 voluntary Excess and £100 compulsory Excess, = £300 Excess Total.
Protected NoClaimsDiscount
Valued at £25344
Park on driveway over night.
Located Cardiff Suburbs, South Wales.
Tourneo Custom, Limited,170 bhp, 8 Seater via ComparetheMarket from Admiral for a £431.20 with wife as named driver and protected NCD.
My NCD is currently at maximum of 9 years, which equates to 43% discount.
Standard vehicle, no modifications.

Only issue with Admiral is that you can't pay online.... you have to pay over the phone.... ie speak to someone.
So be prepared to be on the phone for 20 minutes as they will go through the details, then try and sell you additional medical and legal cover, road side assistance and enhanced courtesy vehicle cover.
Luckily its a local rate 0330 number to call.

I did have a problem initially where they verbally confirmed a cost. But when I got the paperwork through, the cost actually increased and the named driver was missing.
I simply canceled the insurance and did a requote the following day.
I think the problem was because I had about 25+ quotes for the same company. This may have confused the initial call handler.
The reason for the high number of quote was that I wa trying to work out if premiums change the closer you get to the day your existing insurance expires.
I think for Admiral, it does..... A quote with 7 days before renewal was £100 more expensive than 8 days before renewal.
So I would start searching for insurance at least 1 month before renewal. I belive quotes are valid for 1 month anyway.

The 2nd call was a much better experience, plus I had to listen to the same script, so was prepared for all the sales banter.
It was a nice enough call so I didn't mind too much.

I recommend calling them on Monday to Friday during normal working hours. I think you get the more experience staff then.
Avoid weekends as its really busy and was in the queue for 10 minutes.

I never pay the renewal price. I generally get a new quote. That way you also get the new customer discount.
Also I try and go direct as sometimes the deal is better if you go via the Cashback sites like TopCashbBack or QuidCo etc.
However there is always a risk that the transaction doesn't track properly and you don't get the discount.
ChinkyChips

Postby 979 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Admiral couldn't insure me even with max no claims, probably because it's a 9 seater I'm assuming then.
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby chuffer » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:44 pm

I am about to buy one of these Tourneo 8 seater cars (Previa engine seized last week :( ) Looked at the newer Galaxy and alike but all are way to small, the seats are for kids, not adults. I was amazed at how many insurance companies won't touch the Tourneo. Direct line said it was a commercial vehicle and their commercial section said it was a car, go figure!

Admiral who I was with said they wouldn't insure it, ChinkyChips I'd love to know who you spoke to at Admiral.

In the end I landed up paying £795 from A plan insurance who are a broker. Left my details with them and they called back next morning.  Does this car fall between the cracks? is it a bird is it a plane!
chuffer

Postby ChinkyChips » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi chuffer.

I spoke to Amanda on 0330 134 3205. (sales)
She had a American accent.

Had the same problem with Directline, AA, Aviva for the 8 seater.
I've read on the forums that 9 seater was a potential insurance issue thus opted for the 8 seater version.
Salesman at Ford Bridgend also confirmed this.

I also looked at the Galaxy.... but that was too small.
Plus I didn't like the look of that electric hand brake.

I've been looking nationally for several months, for a suitable 2nd hand one. But most good examples were asking close to new price that I can get from a broker.
Ones below £20k inc VAT that are about 2 years old had suspect mileage and superficial damage to the boot area, or bad repairs.
Majority had corrosion on the ECU housing... ie the water ingress issue in the engine bay.
I guess these vehicles were either taxis or ex-hire vehicles.
So not loved by their previous owners.

So I bit the bullet and decided to buy new from a broker..... new-car-discount.com . (Nick Ainley, aka Auto Union Finance)
Ordered in end of October 2016. Arrived this month. So about 3 months wait. (I was quoted a wait of 6 months)
And thats with a few options added.. factory tow bar and sway control enabled, stowable roofrack and rear view camera.
All of that and it was still cheaper than many of the pre-reg advertised with less bhp and options.

Also I read on this forum that the speed-limiter on Euro6 engines has also been increased to around 110mph. I believe it was 100mph on the Euro 5 engines.

This is handy to find out specs of registered ford vehicles (I had to use Mozilla Firefox to get the registration dialogue box working)
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do
ChinkyChips

Postby Camper steve » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:54 pm

just renewed my insurance

the renewal notice came through saying my current insurer will not re insure me via AChoice (i have not made any claims) but they can offer me another supplier at £3500.

after i had picked myself up off the floor i found the best price via Acorn fully comp with no voluntary excess and 1 years NCD £780.

Happy with that. the AA quoted £1200
Camper steve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby phmason1979 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:18 pm

Good Afternoon
Im looking to pick up a 8 Seater Custom Tourneo 310 L1 Titanium this week. Trying to find some insurance but coming back with some mad prices and the cheapest ones want to install the Big Brother Box on the car to track my movements. Any ideas please, The van will only be used for personnel use.
Thankyou
phmason1979

Return to Transit Custom