*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bike rack

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Bike rack

Postby Softlips » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Has anyone used a bike rack with a New Tranist Custom?

Mine is a Terrier Camper Van so has the single door. It also has the rear spoiler on the door which may limit how I can mount a bike rack. Anyone else done it?
Softlips
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Bike rack

Postby botacco » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Softlips wrote:Has anyone used a bike rack with a New Tranist Custom?

Mine is a Terrier Camper Van so has the single door. It also has the rear spoiler on the door which may limit how I can mount a bike rack. Anyone else done it?

I use a thule 973. It was originally for a Touran but it fits by shortening a bit the upper arm and extending the lower side to the last hole.

The only issue is that the rear door doesn't stay open. The bike rack is too heavy...
Since it takes only two minutes to mount it, I usually install only when I need it.

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk
botacco
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby yasser » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Why don't you get a tow bar bracket fitted. You don't have to get a ball or the expensive electric pack unless you wanted it and then get a bike rack that fits to the plate on the tow bar.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bolti » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:47 pm

I have a towbar mounted rack from Decathlon. Unfortunately the two bike rack which I bought, will only allow the tailgate to partially open. I think the three bike model may allow the tailgate to open fully.
bolti
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kulataz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:02 pm

botacco wrote:

I use a thule 973. It was originally for a Touran but it fits by shortening a bit the upper arm and extending the lower side to the last hole.

The only issue is that the rear door doesn't stay open. The bike rack is too heavy...
Since it takes only two minutes to mount it, I usually install only when I need it.

Have you got pics of it fitted?

I have been looking for a rack now for a while. Fiamma now do one for a transit custom but only for and tailgate version. Mine is a high top with 2 rear doors. Towbar one isn't any good for me as I tow a caravan and also want to use the rear doors to get dogs in and out

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
kulataz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Softlips » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't fancy a tow bar one as I'm just adding more weight with the towbar. The Fiamma one looks great and involves no drilling. But the spoiler on the tailgate would be in the way - although I could remove it, fit the rack, then trim and refit the spoiler.
Softlips
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby kulataz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:26 pm

If you did that you would have to leave it on. I used to have a ducato fiamma one on my mk7 and it had 2 spars across, it's a shame they didn't do it that way. I have thought about getting the new custom one and cutting the spare down just to get the curve angle

kulataz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby botacco » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:24 am

kulataz wrote:
botacco wrote:

I have been looking for a rack now for a while. Fiamma now do one for a transit custom but only for and tailgate version. Mine is a high top with 2 rear doors. Towbar one isn't any good for me as I tow a caravan and also want to use the rear doors to get dogs in and out

I don't have pictures now...
Mine is similar to the fiamma (tailgate) but for a fraction of the cost...

botacco
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby sparker000 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:41 pm

This won't help if you need to use the tow bar but I fitted a Atera STRADA EVO 3 to 4 bike carrier no. AR2701. With a 50mm alloy spacer behind the tow hook the rack moves back on rails and the barn door on my Tourneo opens to give access to the rear.

Great rack and a god send when you need to get too things inside.
sparker000
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby S60r » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:41 pm

I have the Maxxraxx 5 bike folder that allows access. I don't have a tow bar on this van and don't plan on getting one..... check them out they are excellent.

I'll sell mine if anyone wants one.... it was used twice!
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Softlips » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:16 pm

Anyone know if updated gas struts are available? If I do fit the Fiamma rack I want the tailgate to still lift - if possible with a bike on.
Softlips
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby botacco » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:28 pm

botacco wrote:
kulataz wrote:
botacco wrote:[quote="Softlips"]Has anyone used a bike rack with a New Tranist Custom?

I don't have pictures now...
Mine is similar to the fiamma (tailgate) but for a fraction of the cost...

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk[/quote]
I finally took some pictures. .

ImageImage

I'm also trying to find a way to attach two pairs of skis, so as to put them outside when they are full of snow

botacco
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Softlips » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:13 pm

^^^ that looks very neat.
Softlips
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Softlips » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Ordered a Fiamma rack. Spoke to Wellhouse about fitting with the roof spoiler. They tell me it's best to cheese wire the spoiler off, remove all the Sikaflex, fit the rack then cut the spoiler to fit over it and Sikaflex back on.

Sounds like it will be a pain in the arse to do but hey ho.
Softlips
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby botacco » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Here is the bike rack with 2 pair of skis fitted. Image

botacco
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Custom