*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Intermittent power loss. Help

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Intermittent power loss. Help

Postby slikt » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:52 am

So, I had intermittent power loss a month after buying the van (13 plate 44k, custom sport) cruise wouldn't work either when the power loss thing was happening and took to ford and they said injector issues, so ended up having new injectors fitted under warranty.
So for it back last week and it's still doing it, any ideas before I take it back to fraud? Ta
slikt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Intermittent power loss. Help

Postby slikt » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Anyone??
slikt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Camper steve » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:15 am

slikt wrote:Anyone??

fuel filter blocked maybe? sounds like its being starved of fuel.
Camper steve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby moley551 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:14 pm

There was a post recently someone had issues with the DPF which got replaced then the fault returned Ford then replaced the injectors and that didn't cure is, turned out to be the replacement DPF. I will try and find the post.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby seikokid » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:34 pm

what is it actually doing ?
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby slikt » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:15 pm

moley551 wrote:There was a post recently someone had issues with the DPF which got replaced then the fault returned Ford then replaced the injectors and that didn't cure is, turned out to be the replacement DPF. I will try and find the post.

Cheers mate
slikt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby slikt » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:20 pm

seikokid wrote:what is it actually doing ?

It looses some oomph when driving and the cruise control doesn't work either, the fault comes and goes, one minute it drives superb, the next it drives like a normal van. If I pull over snd turn the engine off and back on, it can go back to running fine. As said Ford had it and ran tests and ended up changing all the injectors, but it hasn't stopped the fault, the hill start assist also shows a fault when the issue happens.
Could it be ECU issues? I just want as much info as possible before I take it back to ford and loose more wages for having to take the day off. They had it 4 days before!! Cheers
slikt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby slikt » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:33 am

Camper steve wrote:
slikt wrote:Anyone??

fuel filter blocked maybe? sounds like its being starved of fuel.

This was done when the injectors were fitted (I hope)
slikt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby wronghole » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:36 am

Would have thought your problems with hill assist and cruise control are related , whereas the lack of power is a separate issue. But then what do I know :roll: it's only a thought :D
wronghole
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:07 pm

I have only experienced similar in a Ford galaxy when the fuel filter had a vac leak and it caused all sorts of running problems, but in this case I would inspect the ECU first.... particularly the plugs going into the ECU as they get soaked and corrode over time. It will obviously give all sorts of error messages if the ECU has been water affected.

If the ECU is ok, then start trawling through the error codes, it could be something simple like a throttle position sensor as they can effect running/cruise and hill start. If it clears after a stop and restart, then it is definitely pointing towards a sensor of some description.

So hard to help over the internet....but good luck with it, its bloody frustrating to have issues like this.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby moley551 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:04 pm

A long time ago there was a post about MAP and MAF sensors the one fitted below the radiator in the intercooler pipe was causing similar symptoms the OP was replacing them himself rather than wast time at Ford...
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby slikt » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:37 pm

S60r wrote:I have only experienced similar in a Ford galaxy when the fuel filter had a vac leak and it caused all sorts of running problems, but in this case I would inspect the ECU first.... particularly the plugs going into the ECU as they get soaked and corrode over time. It will obviously give all sorts of error messages if the ECU has been water affected.

If the ECU is ok, then start trawling through the error codes, it could be something simple like a throttle position sensor as they can effect running/cruise and hill start. If it clears after a stop and restart, then it is definitely pointing towards a sensor of some description.

So hard to help over the internet....but good luck with it, its bloody frustrating to have issues like this.

What's the best way of finding out the error codes as fraud told me none were showing (hmmmm)!!!
slikt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby slikt » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:37 pm

moley551 wrote:A long time ago there was a post about MAP and MAF sensors the one fitted below the radiator in the intercooler pipe was causing similar symptoms the OP was replacing them himself rather than wast time at Ford...

Cheers, I'll try and find it.
slikt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby slikt » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:06 am

So regarding the power loss. It's a protection mode 'limo' to protect the engine. All to do with Hill start, cruise control.

They still are none the wiser. . . . But I think I've found the issue. The clutch pedal!! I read somewhere that the clutch pedal sometimes 'intermittently' sticks so it doesn't come all the way up.when the fault is showing, use your foot
to lift the pedal. It worked for me and last night I used loads of WD40 and now no sticking. Hopefully that's it sorted.
slikt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom