*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

thinking to buy a transit custom, what are they like?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

thinking to buy a transit custom, what are they like?

Postby jfoldbar » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:48 am

hi all.
im new to this forum cause im thinking to buy a new ford transit custom lwb.i am from sydney, australia.
i would like opinions on the build quality/reliability ect. how many people have had dramas with them? are they fixable when things do go wrong? what kind of cost for servicing and repairs?

another thing i would like to ask. their standard height is 2020mm, can this be reduced to 1950 so it can fit in 2000mm carparks? either by smaller wheels/tyres, or a suspension lowering?

thanks in advance?
jfoldbar

Re: thinking to buy a transit custom, what are they like?

Postby moley551 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:54 pm

OMG where do you start, I've had mine for 3 years 65k, I had a rough fist year with poor performance but that all changed with and ecu update and oil pump recall. The last 2 years it's been a totally different van, I definitely wouldn't buy a second hand one out of warranty but that goes for all modern vans, Ford dealers are going to be different in terms of customer care depending on your location good and bad, In Cornwall we have Vospers their reputation is not the best BUT I must say that since they opened the Transit centre the attitude has changed with a few new faces that have raised my opinion tenfold, so check out your Dealership. As a van that I spend most days in and around it's hard to think of anything that's negative, it's nice to drive, handles well, it's very quiet, what more do you need.
My advice would be get the longest test drive you can and try the different power levels with a load if possible..
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby funkeyfarmer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:21 am

Same here just ordered mine had a 2005 transit. Went new because I think any of the new customs will be a high risk second hand, hired one for a week to give it a proper try same with an opel at the end of the day sitting into in the transit just feels right so went with that
funkeyfarmer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Tatstommo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:52 pm

I picked my transit custom up in December last year.

Long and short of it - I love it. I had an annoying rattle which turned out to be the optional roof rack...

I went for the 170 bhp version, with leather seats and loads of goodies and it's really nice. It is the five seater version but plenty of room in back for dogs, stuff and I plan to do a bit of overnight camping in it during summer.

Was approx £15k cheaper than the equivalent Merc or VW van (I.e. for the same spec) so thus far it's winning on all counts.

Comfy to drive, looks nice and good spec as standard. You could do far worse!!!
Tatstommo

Postby mavericktc » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:23 pm

My next van will probably be a proace/expert/jumpy.

More tech available and hopefully a manufacturer that are good at their own products.
It's embarrassing how little ford knows about the custom from time to time.

I can't believe how ford are equipping their vans. The custom is painfully after the competition atm.
mavericktc
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Marcob » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:35 pm

Mine was off the road 10 months waiting for a rear panel after an accident. Ford UK were useless to the point of obstruction. I don't know if the body panel supply has improved since.
Other than that it's a great van.
Black 290 L2H1 125 PS Limited
The Ford Transit Custom - saving the environment by not actually going anywhere.
Zero emissions for 4 months and counting.....
Marcob
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom