*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.0L euro 6 Oil requires change after 3k

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

2.0L euro 6 Oil requires change after 3k

Postby SteveOh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:31 am

Hi fellas.
I just got an oil change warning after 3k. is that right?
it's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits
SteveOh
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Oil requires change after 3k

Postby Chrisp74 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:01 am

My brothers 66 plate custom euro 6 170bhp got to 4k before it decided it needed a service.
I guess its looking at oil contamination by diesel after DPF regens?
Hope this isn't the norm! otherwise that's a lot of oil changes its going to get in its life!
To be fair the dealer did change the oil and filter for free.
Its still on its original fill of Ad-Blue. think its will need some soon.
The first 4k miles has been "local" driving mostly. Hasn't had much motorway action.
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:19 am

SteveOh wrote:Hi fellas.
I just got an oil change warning after 3k. is that right?

No, take it back, they can fix your wipers at the same time.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Manu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:27 am

I had the same thing on my Euro6, after about 5000km. I went into the dealership, and they simple cleared the warning, without opening the bonnet...
Manu

Postby Clipper49 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:32 pm

I had this on my euro 6 at 400 miles. The local dealership said there is an oil degradation sensor fault (didn't even know there was 1). They changed the oil and filter under warranty.
Clipper49
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby chasbo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Mine's done this twice so far. Once at around 7000m and again around 10000. First time the dealer reset it, second time I did it myself. I figure if there's a real problem then it'd come straight back.
chasbo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby SteveOh » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:03 am

Going in on Monday, I have no doubt they will just reset it and send me on my way.
it's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits
SteveOh
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:23 am

If the sensor isn't damaged (it doesn't sound like it is if it the warning clears and doesn't return) what's going on do you think?

My guess is that the DPF regen still occurs and taints the oil in the sump. Perhaps the adblue just lessens the amount of regens that occur in the euro 6..... all I know is I dropped my oil on the euro 5 last week at 10k miles and it was in a sh*t state! No way can it go 30k. I'm sure they have added this sensor to make sure people who stick to the Ford recommended service intervals don't have issues with oil that isn't doing it's job any more.

Diesel will end up in the sump in varying amounts during regen, so I guess the sensor is picking up this change?
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Chrisp74 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:16 am

I agree it doesn't seem like a sensor issue, maybe very sensitive?
how do we think its "senses" oil deg? Oil level sensor? how would a sensor check oil condition?
Maybe it just looks for number of regens since service light was reset, assumes "X" amount of Diesel has got in the sump then throws the light?
I'm sure a friend was telling me about some Puma powered Land-Rover defenders needing regular oil changes due to oil deg.
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby S60r » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:28 am

My guess would be an optical sensor at a point where the oil passes by with a decent flow..... the regen dumps X amount of Diesel into the oil and the sensor sees it as an obvious change. Once triggered the sensor requires resetting and it will sit quietly until it detects another change in the oil state.

Im sure they will update the software and desensitise it. Oil condition will always alter after a regen and in a big way if the regen is interrupted or incomplete when shut down...... why on earth is there no regen warning light from stock? It would save a good deal of incomplete regens.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:52 am

On the euro 5 there's 2 sensors, 1 is engine oil pressure switch 2 is engine oil quality, level and temperature switch.

The above aren't listed on the euro 6 custom 2.0l engine (not that i can find :? )

There's are these tho.

1. fuel filter heater/wif.
2. 3x egr temperature sensors.
3. Reductant (adblu) injector.
4. Reductant heater assy.
5. Pcv valve heater element.
6. Nox sensor and module.

Lot of things need heating lol lot of things that rely on correlating info back to pcm but which can also not correlate to throw a hissy fit.

Oil gets carbon from the bores as it washes them, that's why it goes black, carbon dries the liquid in the oil so if left long enough the oil goes like crude and stops being fluid and stops being able to travel around the engine at high velocity, cooling and lubricating it.

That's the basics anyway. I don't know exactly what is telling the pcm that the oil is rubbish, the oil level and quality sensor works using resistance, resistance up the height of the sensor tells it what level we have, resistance also tells it what temperature the oil is and also what quality, perhaps even measured timed would work fluid oil spill move up and down the sensor faster. But that's a guess really lol.

Anyway that's the info i have.
There may still be sensors as above that aren't on the pcm diagrams etc but the fact is we have limited info and they are all under warranty anyway so just take it back and let the dealers sort it out :-)

If anyone is feeling brave then when it flags up sh*t oil, get the oil changed, see if the warning goes on its own? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Little lofty » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Mine flashed up today saying I need an oil change, I've only done 1700 miles :lol: So it looks like I've got all the euro 6 bugs, early oil change, reverse camera that doesn't work over 5mph and wipers that come on when they feel like it. How long have Ford been making vans......... I filled in the survey the other day, why do they bother as they obviously do not act on the feedback.
Little lofty
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mavericktc » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Little lofty wrote:Mine flashed up today saying I need an oil change, I've only done 1700 miles :lol: So it looks like I've got all the euro 6 bugs, early oil change, reverse camera that doesn't work over 5mph and wipers that come on when they feel like it. How long have Ford been making vans......... I filled in the survey the other day, why do they bother as they obviously do not act on the feedback.

I have my van in for warranty job because of the reversing camera fault.

They haven't heard it before :shock:

Even my van I have on loan has the same fault.

Is there solution for the camera?

They said that the early oil change was some kind of bug.
mavericktc
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Little lofty » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:21 pm

I don't know if there is a fix for the camera. I had read about it on here before I even got the van, so it's obviously common. I'm not booking mine in yet as the way things are going I'll have another few faults to put right before long.
Little lofty
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:48 pm

Reverse camera not working over 5mph sounds like a safety feature to me :D
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Transit Custom