*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

LED DRL's

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

LED DRL's

Postby S60r » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:32 pm

Been looking for a while for a LED DRL solution.

I don't want to sacrifice the full beam performance by getting the LED H15 dual stage LED that is kicking around. The DRL is good and white on those but the full beam is woeful.

I have found these below.

It would mean disabling the DRL filament bulb and running with just the fog DRL.

Anyone done it yet?

http://www.ford-accessories.co.uk/trans ... ng-systems
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: LED DRL's

Postby Mike » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:37 pm

S60r wrote:
Anyone done it yet?

Yeah, 2 1/2 years ago viewtopic.php?f=27&t=140683&start=45#p1255361
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby S60r » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:52 pm

That was well tucked away in the Mod section wasn't it!

They look great Mike.

Would you mind answering a couple of questions? Did you disconnect the crappy filament DRL in the headlight or get them turned off? I hate the filament DRL's! You put it them in yourself? Do the fogs and cornering lights still work as oem?
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:57 pm

S60r wrote:
Would you mind answering a couple of questions? Did you disconnect the crappy filament DRL in the headlight or get them turned off? I hate the filament DRL's! You put it them in yourself? Do the fogs and cornering lights still work as oem?

DRL was disabled by the dealer. Easy self fit job. Fogs work as intended but I chose to use the oem cornering lights as they're better than the ones built into the Osram lights imo.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Clipper49 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:58 pm

On my M Sport the blue wire is cut by the lamp holder in each fitting. Not by me but by van sport.

Yep you read that right, they just cut the wire and put a bit of tape on it. Top class mod!
Clipper49
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:12 pm

Mike wrote:
S60r wrote:

DRL was disabled by the dealer. Easy self fit job. Fogs work as intended but I chose to use the oem cornering lights as they're better than the ones built into the Osram lights imo.

thanks mike... i'll copy you.

shame they don't do the angel eye fog led drl. i just put them in the mrs's mini.... they look great and dim to half angel eye when headlights come on.

these will just go off if headlights are on i presume. still a huge improvement though.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:13 pm

Clipper49 wrote:On my M Sport the blue wire is cut by the lamp holder in each fitting. Not by me but by van sport.

Yep you read that right, they just cut the wire and put a bit of tape on it. Top class mod!

:shock:

what is the blue wire they cut for? The DRL filament oem's?

proves there is no can bus on the lighting circuit if so!
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:17 pm

S60r wrote:
these will just go off if headlights are on i presume.

Off or reduced power, I went for off as I didn't want to look like a foglight w4nker :mrgreen:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby S60r » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:19 pm

:lol:
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Clipper49 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Yes blue wire just does the drl filament. I actually reconnected the wires and the oe drl's illuminated so it's a good indication that you can do what you want with regard to the drl's without getting errors.
Clipper49
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:58 am

Mike wrote:
S60r wrote:
these will just go off if headlights are on i presume.

Off or reduced power, I went for off as I didn't want to look like a foglight w4nker :mrgreen:

Hi Mike, following on from this I wondered if I could pick your brain one last time.....

Will be fitting these today, I'm undecided if I want to be a foglight w@nker ;) or not, i might try both and see, but regarding the position lighting, can you remember off top of your head which wire is what? I have a meter ready, I'm just being lazy/prepped before they get delivered today.

Thanks for any help.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:16 pm

i'm also just going to physically disconnect the current crappy filament DRL rather than go through the battle at ford to turn them off.... I hope I can do that without losing the high beam side of the bulb!
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:28 pm

Ok all fitted.

Fark me! They are seriously bright! :shock:

I think I will be getting flashed....we shall see.

I went with the dimming option when the side light/head lights come on but I think i will change that to off. They don't dim very much, and in Mike's words it definitely looks like "fog light w@nker" syndrome.

Didn't bother with the flashing with hazard/indicator option as I don't think that would pass an MOT? Didn't do the cornering light option as the ford ones are ample.

Disconnected the ford crappy orange DRL..... looks much better, but no point in pictures as the LED's are so bright - they just overexpose the image.

A nice mod though, thanks for your help.

:)
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:52 pm

After being flashed twice today, I realise Mike is spot on. I was indeed a "foglight w@nker". I have now connected the brown to the negative instead of the positive which turns the DRL off when headlights are on.

These are so incredibly bright, I can't look at them with out burning my retina. I hope they are legal! If I'm flashed again I will angle them right down to the road I think.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby FrankMCN » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:56 am

I have the OSRAM kit, I can't see them being an issue in DRL mode during the day as everyones eyes will be suitably adjusted to the light - just be careful to ensure your headlights are defiantly on during the night and not your DRL's.

I've also been using some LED H15's for full beams for last 6 months - google ZY P6 - insanely bright as a full beam and send a lot of light far down the road - great for flashing chavs with poorly fitted xenons. They also have a DRL function but after a few tests found these to be too bright - you know when other road users flash at you during the day their an issue.
Last edited by FrankMCN on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankMCN
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Custom